Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back from our holiday of a lifetime  (Read 1698 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Back from our holiday of a lifetime
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:23:34 pm »

Hi all back from the holiday of a lifetime.
We had a fortnight on the Marella Explorer a TUI ship, all inclusive (including tips) we upgraded to the full drinks package (well worth the money 50 quid pppw) also since it was a 9 hr flight we also went premium  on the flight (oh, my, god, (took 2 yrs to save for this holiday though) money well spent) we had complimentary champagne on boarding the flight (in fact it turned out all drinks were free, and boy they kept coming) we were quite tipsy when we got off the plane, i couldn't believe the leg room, also a pillow and blankets (posh voice on here) "it really is the only way to travel" (shame we probably won't be able to afford it again very soon) here are some pics of the ship.

We went to one of their specialty restaurants for a meal

Incredible food.
Here's a little tip for anyone going on a cruise with an inside cabin, get a little led  tea light (I got a packet of 12 from the pound shop a few years ago for modelling purposes) and use it for finding your way to the loo without turning the light on and waking the missus, once you turn the light off you can't see a hand in front of your face.
I can't speak for other cruises but this one had they had 3 specialty restaurants on this ship, Surf and Turf, Kora La and Diners Club you can book them separately but if you book all 3 you get a special discount and it only costs 75 quid per person for all 3 our first meal at the Surf and Turf cost 58 quid so you can see it's a considerable discount to book all 3. If you are going to do this you need to do it very quickly as they get fully booked up very quickly, i would suggest within the first 2 days.
The staff were incredible they made you feel like nothing was too much trouble. My missus didn't like the way round the bed was so we moved the pillows and laid across the bed (we tried moving the bed and the bedside cabinet but they were fixed) so we left a note asking for the bed to be made the other way round when we came back to our cabin the bed and cabinet had been moved and a note left that the electrician would be in in the morning to rewire the bedside lamp now I call that going the extra 2 miles.

Here's something else I recommend an excursion called the rhum runner (yes that is spelt right) we have never had such fun you go on a boat with a steel drum band an entertaining guide the rum punch flows freely (and boy does it flow) a really enjoyable time had by all.
Here's a couple of me and the missus.

We have loads of pics of the holiday so if anyone is interested I can post more.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Back from our holiday of a lifetime
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:10:25 pm »

Looks great Ken, so glad you had a good time.  You don't actually mention where you went, but I guess the Caribbean from the pictures and your exploits with the rum!  We are off on something similar in a couple of weeks - hope you left some rum for us!  :-))

Greg

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:35:17 pm »

Yep Caribbean, we tried our best to drink it all but there seemed to be a never-ending supply.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 07:50:07 pm »

Sounds wonderful Ken   :-))

Just once, you need to push the boat out in mega-style, like my wife and I did in November.
We had not had a holiday in ten years, and badly needed some premium R&R.  Two weeks on an incredible tiny atoll in the Indian Ocean.  I even took a tiny RC model boat, dismantled amongst our baggage.
We flew Business Class on Emirates, then a seaplane transfer from Male to the island.  All inclusive premium five star, the food was incredible, endless free drinks, step out of our villa onto an empty beach, but most importantly some well needed healing of the soul.

A little film:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8t-31N_Xxo   

I doubt if we could ever afford that again, but it will live with us forever.  Robinson Cruso with Champagne.

PS: I am determined to build a model of that Dhoni boat.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:01:00 pm »

God for you chaps. Both holidays looked like heaven  :-) I like a bit of Rum.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 08:08:49 pm »

Looks like a great relaxing holiday. We had decided it would be a once only deal but we are now trying to work out if we can afford Jamaica on my retirement (gives us 5 yrs to save up)
I only got a few seconds video on the rhum runner before my battery died on the phone.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:14:18 pm »

Good luck and best wishes for that Ken.   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:52:16 pm »

Don't you just love a cruise......one of my favourite holiday choices.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 06:26:22 am »

Well we did worry that the ship would have been full of pensioners with dimmer frames (we're young at heart) but actually there was a huge age range of people and not that many older people. We would definitely love to do another one.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 09:16:35 am »

I believe you made the right choice flying to the Caribbean to cruise for a first time, it reduces the numbers of Zimmer frame and mobility scooter users because of the flight...and cruising the Caribbean is great as it gives you a taste of a few different islands if you’ve never been there before.

We've done a few 'round trip' cruises out of Southampton with P&O and most of those were best for ‘seniors’ rather than the ‘younger at heart’, but they were 'care in the community' weeks and convenient for the mother in law as she’s in her 80's, partially sighted and going a bit deaf...but she had a great time.

We tend to gravitate towards Royal Caribbean,  flying out to sail of the US as we feel they have the right balance of things we prefer (at the moment..) and you tend to be in the sunshine from day one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.