Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon water jet problems  (Read 2063 times)

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
Shannon water jet problems
« on: August 30, 2021, 06:48:12 pm »

It seems I’ve bought a right old pup with this 1/12th Shannon. It’s bad enough things keep falling off it but now I’ve got motor problems. After having my local shop look at it I was hoping all was gonna be well with a few improvements to the build however there still persists this problem. The right motor turns a couple of times and then nothing, almost like it is slipping  and the left motor turns and actually gets the boat going for a few seconds with a nice jet of water but then cuts out completely. I have video of it all but don’t think I can post that on here, seems like photos only.

Help.

RST

Re: Shannon water jet problems
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 09:27:30 pm »

Hello pragmatist,

Sorry to hear of problems.  Have you tried to isolate the problems yourself. i.e. diagnosing things by one step in turn?  Motors should be easy to disconnect from shafts, speed controllers are easy to check with servo testers etc.

Lots and lots of info and pictures required to diagnose things on line.  For videos you have to use an external site and link back to it.  As much info you can give as possible please to give anyone a fighting chance to help.  Most problems are not model specific so don't just look for an instant answer.  We don't know either whether your local shop gave you good advice or just recommended to buy replacements they had in stock.

Rich

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:40:26 am »

The Speedline waterjets have all had the "slipping" problem,  File flats on the ends of the prop shafts and motors, so that the coupling grub screw has a flat surface to lock onto.

Warning.   Brushless motors contain powerful magnets and are destroyed if filings enter the casing.     Before filing, either remove the shaft from the motor, or put the motor in a sealed plastic bag with just the shaft sticking out of the smallest hole possible. Seal that hole with grease or vaseline.

Most Shannon owners and builders are on the Shannon Facebook page .....   https://www.facebook.com/groups/220509768718588

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 09:27:57 am »

It seems I’ve bought a right old pup with this 1/12th Shannon. It’s bad enough things keep falling off it but now I’ve got motor problems. After having my local shop look at it I was hoping all was gonna be well with a few improvements to the build however there still persists this problem. The right motor turns a couple of times and then nothing, almost like it is slipping  and the left motor turns and actually gets the boat going for a few seconds with a nice jet of water but then cuts out completely. I have video of it all but don’t think I can post that on here, seems like photos only.

Help.
Hmm, what battery's are you using? if the previous builder has used LIPO's the ESC may be on the default protection setting , nihms & sla type need your ESC setting changed to NO PROTECTION , these battey's cant deliver the power quickly enough like a LIPO can and the ESC thinks the battery is flat & cuts the power, I've been there / done that too tight to buy a T Shirt .
The ESC can be set using the 'beeps' and you need the setting chart for that , the easiest way is a programming card ( need the one for your ESC , their not universal)
Monsieur Kinmel's suggestion could also apply regarding coupling slippage .
Bill

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 12:08:36 pm »

Thanks all. I am using very good quality lipos so not sure that’s the problem. I’m very inexperienced to attempt any of that but more than willing to pay someone to take a look.
Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated.
I am so desperate to get this lovely boat working.

Regards,

Matt

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 12:26:38 pm »

First check that all cable connections are tight and that fuses are fully inserted.

Fully charge both batteries.

Turn each motor over by hand, they should have the same friction. Try both directions.

Then test the power trains as follows:-  For each check, if the problem is swapped to the other side then you have found the faulty item, if the swap does not move the problem then reverse it back to the way it was and try the next option.

1. Swap the ESC leads over on the receiver and test.

2. Swap the batteries over to the other esc and test.
3. Swap the Escs over to the other motor.
4. Swap the motors over to the other waterjet.

Let us know how you get on
Good luck

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 12:33:12 pm »

I’ll try to give it a go but I’m not really sure what I am doing. The jet drives are KMB rev28’s. Not sure what motors as I didn’t do the build.

Thanks,

Matt

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 02:42:51 pm »

Does the deck and cabin come off as one piece, or is the deck fixed to the hull and just the cabin lifts off ?

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 02:46:52 pm »

Hi,
This is part of the frustrating problem. Just the cabin comes off so working on the motors/ jet drives is gonna be a pain. The guy did a half decent job building it but it’s not repair/ tinkering friendly.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 04:02:02 pm »

If possible contact your local model boat club and this may be a source to get help in diagnosing the problem issues. You know that the boat has run before and it may be quite a small problem.

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 04:18:31 pm »

Shirt video of the motors. The furthest one seems fine but it’s the nearest one. Tried tightening with Allen key but it’s quite tight. What’s unusual though is that the right one cuts out after a while also. Perhaps the ESC detects overload on one motor and cuts out. Is that a possibility?

https://youtube.com/shorts/1-QUzK9FVxo?feature=share

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 05:31:58 pm »

Shame your not closer to Great Yarmouth. I've built 2 shannons.
Close up pictures of all the electrics might shed some light on the problem. Details of Batteries, Esc's radio.

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 05:35:16 pm »

I’m from Yarmouth originally. Lived in Scratby and Hemsby. It’s only an hour and a half away. Would be great if you could take a look.

Thanks,

Matt

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:25 pm »

Sent PM.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 01:42:42 pm »

Hi, not so much of a problem [yet] but I have my eye on a 1/12th Shannon, but what are the best drive units with buckets etc and where from, any suggestions appreciated.
Regards,
Rich
Regards,

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 03:43:16 pm »

That depends on who's hull it is.
If Speedline you would have to modify the hull to accept anything other than Speedline drives.

The drives made by OceanWorks with my help are the best.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 10:13:56 pm »

Speedline

OceanWorks designed for MBD modellers and same footprint as Kehrer drives

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.