Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/12 47' Watson Solomon Brown  (Read 3436 times)

Al Smart

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
1/12 47' Watson Solomon Brown
« on: February 04, 2019, 07:19:21 pm »

This is the start of a new model of Solomon Brown ON954. I have never built a boat before so this is going to be very interesting. 

I intend to double plank the hull, out of iroko which I will probably have to steam.

So far I have had to estimate 3 sections as these were not included in the drawing, I'll probably have to rework some to get the shape right.

I have been looking at other posts for advice and guidance.

Let's see how it goes.  By the way MBM is a great site (but you all know that anyway, don't you)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/12 47' Watson Solomon Brown
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:20:54 pm »

Gaday Al...welcome to MBM.......a great resource  :-))

https://www.wood-database.com/iroko/

Before you order your lumber for the planking, best to look a little into the intended Iroko wood specie....it certainly may not be the best tree in the forest to consider for steaming, finishing & model planking

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:26:10 pm »

Re the Iroko planking, I remember as an apprentice dealing with that stuff and boy is it tough to plane and sand! As for bending I think you are taking on quite a task I wish you best of luck. There are much easier planking timbers out there that you could use and I am sure that the guys on this forum will give you great advice.
   Good luck and I hope it goes well.
         Cheers, Pete. :-))

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:33 pm »

Forget Iroko and use Lime/Basswood.
Also look at the wooden slats from blinds (usually get 4ft ones on car boot sales for a couple of pounds) these are often of a wood referred to as tulip wood when cut into planks it bends and steams (Just soak in hot water for 5 mins) as good as lime.
Do most of my double diagonal planked lifeboats with these slats. :-)) :-)) :-))

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 10:46:07 pm »

Very much a case of watch and learn from me. Looking forwards to watching your progress. Good advice already it seems  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Al Smart

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 07:26:19 pm »

Lots of great advice, thanks.

I already have some iroko planks I was looking to cut down to scale, perhaps I should think again?

I know it's not easy to work with.

Yes I am planning to diagonal plank the hull

Thanks again I will keep you all posted of developments

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:13 pm »

My only experience is with this billings kit and all Obechi ? I believe. That was difficult enough but I was satisfied with my results

Unfortunately she's on the back burner for quit some time as other models grabbed my time.
Above all I would say to anyone to choose carefully and stick to one model to the end as I have found the hard way.

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Al Smart

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 06:03:33 pm »

Hi All, I know there has been a bit of a gap, I have had some medical issues.  I have decided to scrap my previous attempt and start anew, this time using Lime sheet 1mm thick for the hull.  I will add some photos of my progression when I can.

I am also looking for some more drawings for a 47' Watson, Solomon Brown ON-954 to be specific.  I have 2 GA drawings and I have contacted Heritage@RNLI the other day, but they only have the same drawings, but they did suggest asking the community to see if anyone else has any others.  Heritage did offer some photos that they have; I am still waiting to receive these, I sure I will get them soon.

good to be back

Al Smart

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 06:14:33 pm »

Hi All, my boat is progressing although slowly, but I have completed the double diagonal planking of the hull.  I am now looking to make the forward casualty chamber hatch and I am struggling with the plastic sheet I have; I not sure it is what I need.  It is 1mm thick but quite tough to cut and leaves a burr when I cut it with a Stanley knife. 

I am a complete novice to modelling and I wonder if I have the right plastic, or my expectations are too high. 
Would you please suggest the best plastic for me, I suspect I have ABS but as I bought it 2 years ago from the Warwick show I can’t be sure.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 12:53:35 pm »

Plasticard when cut with a knife generally leaves a raised edge to the cut. This can easily be removed by scraping with the edge of the knife. Often it is better to do a shallow cut, almost a scratch, then bend the sheet. It will break at the cut, 1mm sheet will do this easily. Whether or not it is ABS shouldn't affect the cut but will nees a suitable glue when joining. Test a section of scrap by dropping some styrene cement on it, if styrene it will slightly dissolve the surface. ABS will not be affected by styrene glue, if it is ABS then there are glues for use with it.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Al Smart

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 02:46:05 pm »

Thanks Jim, your comments are appreciated.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 09:48:58 am »

There is a recently uploaded clip on YouTube of a 1:20 scale model of the Solomon Browne

https://youtu.be/xFAuTHFqHkA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.