Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joining a prop to a flexi inner shaft  (Read 1345 times)

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Joining a prop to a flexi inner shaft
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:42:19 am »

Hi, I have inherited a nice wooden cabin cruiser overall length 50cm. Its beautifully built and worth getting back on the water.
The brass prop shaft is curved and the inner shaft and rudder are missing.
The only flexi I can find to fit inside the shaft is 2mm diameter. I obtained this from Venhill who make motorcycle control cables.
Incidentally they do some handy parts on their website such as cable sealing bellows.
My problem is how do I join 2mm flexi to a propeller? there doesn't seem to be a fitting available .
I am not a great machinist but maybe I need to drill out a short lenght of brass rod to 2mm, solder the flexi into it and drill out the other end for a short 4mm stud and solder that in?

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joining a prop to a flexi inner shaft
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:53:13 am »

Can we get a look at this flex? Neither 2mm nor motorcycle control cable sounds at all suitable. The smallest flex I've seen available is .098 with a 1/8" stub, this would be for very low power applications. Brass would not be suitable as a stub shaft

Below is what a typical flex looks like. Flex goes into steel stub shaft and is either braized, welded or in some applications epoxied.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.