Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 1812 times)

MTB488

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Help please
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:41:24 am »

Hi, New to the forum and located in Mid Cornwall. I recently lost my father who was a Naval Architect, Marine engineer and Ship wright. He started with his apprenticeship at Vosper in 1948 with his family friend Peter Du Cane. Amongst his "babies" were the Brave and Gay Class MTB's and the various derivatives for foreign export. Later on he championed restoration and preservation of historic ships, one of which was RRS Discovery (which he had been on as a Sea Scout on back in the 1940's).

I always knew he had many models (mostly early Air-fix) but there are two I'd love some advice on.
 1) A 3ft wooden model of an MTB (decal numbered 488) it has an Ordec engine in it (and fuse fired torpedo!) he would have built it during or just post war. I haven't been able to find any model kits of 488 from this era. Would it have been one that he followed a pattern for?  Or as he designed full sized MTB was it a self build for personal curiosity/fun?

2) 68" MTB/MGB hull with superstructure. It has twin rudders and prop shafts but the final superstructure and engine were never finished.

I have seen on the forum rules that you can not advertise for sale until you have posted 25 posts to be honest I am not a position to run/complete either of the boats. I have spent the last years trying to repatriate all of his archive on the ships he worked on to the appropriate ships and associations. That task is now completed and I am looking for a new home for boats.  It is more important to me that they be looked after and cherished and lost to history. 

Any advice on how they could find a new home port will be warmly welcomed if that is allowed please under the circumstances.
 I do have have a long history with motor boats but for the 12' upwards variety preferably 1950's! 

Many Thanks
 MTB488

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:04:24 pm »

do you have any pictures of these models, he would probably had original plans for the real boats, so may have worked from them, or if familiar enough may just have worked from memory

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:24:29 pm »

If you can look or find a model boat club near you get in contact with them.
I'm sure you will find the help you need and a new home for the model your father built.
Rick

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »

Hi,
Not sure where you are but drop me a pm or email as im in SE Cornwall.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

MTB488

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 06:12:00 pm »

Hi Rich,

We are in Roche (twinned with Ferrero) though models in Padstow.  I've tried to post photo though fighting to shrink them is be able to post them here. My email is

Please use PM - Admin

Look forward

Henny

MTB488

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 06:10:32 pm »

Good Afternoon All,
Sorry for the last error when I tried to put email address, thought I was in PM mode.

Thank you to All who helped, Boats are soon to have a new port in the South West area.

Many Thanks for letting my Dad's work not go to waste.
MTB488
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.