Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timber Sizing & Designation  (Read 3264 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Timber Sizing & Designation
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »

More like............'believe it or not'
Today I visited a wood merchant & asked what stock they had in 12 mm thick 1/4 sawn timber
The response was we only sell wood in width x thickness and by what ever length it comes in
We don't have any 1/4 length type pieces  :sleep:

[I certainly hope she was not one of Neil's students from his Woodwork teaching days in Canberra]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Timber Sizing & Designation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 06:44:28 pm »

Me "Have you got any two by one?"
Assistant " We're metric, will 50 by 25 millimetres do?"
Me "OK, how much is it?"
Assistant "10P a foot"

Obviously a long time ago - its all in 3 metre lengths now, and not an assistant to be seen.

And in a Tandy shop a lot of years ago, I overheard someone asking for a Mylar condenser and being assured by the spotty sales lad that that company had gone out of business.
The retail trade has always been happy to pay its staff peanuts, so the result should not surprise anybody.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:39 am »

I was known by our purchase clerk as the one who typed on a purchase order - 40 lengths of unsawn timber - doh - he asked did i still want the branches and roots attached.  :embarrassed:
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:31:38 am »

I take this onboard warspite O0 ...if we are true, most would admit to having a similar fopar to offer from our earlier years   :-)) ...... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:48:48 pm »

I have to say had to look up what "1/4" sawn was but I'm a little wiser now.  But I know what a profile gauge is and I don't take photos of my computer screen when I can just right click and paste.  ......I think everyone has their quirks!!!
...But a you can take your pick:  Maplins used to be comical to the point of unbearable, I stepped into a sales pitch to help one cusomer who was frankly buried in ***** quickler than it could be shovelled away.  My old Toyota dealership were terrible: I got a lecture about my GT4 one day, being an import they couldn't get parts, I needed a £400 replacement key on account of the (imaginary) immobiliser instead of the £10 key it actually cost me elsewhere (cut from an e-mailed scan of the old key which they pulled the actual key code from!!).  Halfords got so bad every one I go in now just pretty much ditched the car market now -I was in there often when I was into cars.  One day the Audio guy took a card payment for summit like £750 labour for fitting a stereo and gutting and replacing their original speakers and wiring (parts were separate).  When I managed to get some oxygen into me again he said that was the "quirk of the car -they all need doing this way because of the nightmare wiring".  I had to show him the page in his very own catalogue with a £25 converter connector which did exactly the same job (a 2 min fix, like I always did on the same cars!).  Never seen the blood drain from someones face like that!  Last year I bought car remote battery for my Volvo from Halfords, I was told it had to be "specially fitted by trained staff because the security system wipes the immobiliser code and locks the doors when the fob battery is changed".  Needless to say I smirked, fitted the battery in front of the teenager at the counter, pressed the unlock button outside and away I went as normal.  I worked in the fresh and waste water industry for a couple of years, and on the retail side of the buisness, I cannot tell you the absolute pure and utter, complete "guff" people get told (and frequenty get conned into being sold) out there.

The retail trade has always been happy to pay its staff peanuts, so the result should not surprise anybody.

More of a problem than that.  When I was growing up I used to work in retail but I had to know what I was selling.  Looking back I was paid peanut crumbs even after inflation (nevermind the peanuts), but knowledge was part of your job!  Even in car garages, or engineering suppliers or service centres now, you don't need to know your product, in fact it seems more a rule that you don't have to force someone to know, and you can't not employ someone who doesnt!  You have to be a bit savvy I think with what you ask for these days, otherwise you can be  a bit of a "quack" knowing what you want, and you always get frustrated.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:56:23 pm »

Me "Have you got any two by one?"
Assistant " We're metric, will 50 by 25 millimetres do?"

Two by one, would actually be (1.5" x 0.75") 38 x 19mm. Believe it or not.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:59:34 pm »

Blow metrification, you can still buy cloth by the metre, but 54 inches wide!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:08 pm »

So TT says......"Two by one, would actually be (1.5" x 0.75") 38 x 19mm. Believe it or not"

This really comes down to age ...[of people not the timber]

I remember 60+ years ago accompanying dear old Dad to the lumber Merchant to order 4" x 2" hardwood [for internal framing]

In  those days you could actually walk the timber racks & select the individual sticks of timber [that obviously were straighter than others?]

The other complication was all of the sticks were of different size %% .....and undersized to the 4" x 2" Dad said he wanted

So here is where the technical term DAR comes from   ......lumber was sawn to size ...typically 4" x 2" then planed...to Dressed all Round

[The next complication for me wasif the timber was DA Round, why is it still square or rectangular?]

The Timber Industry has obviously understood the confusion DAR created and with metrication when I now go to the Bunnings timber section there are 100's of individual selections of differing sizes of Tasmanian Oak

Thankfully labeled as what they are eg., 20mm x 50mm....so if you had a 20mm diameter router bit, the slot you cut would suit the stick of Tasmanian Oak

So the sooner we older members delete those childhood learnt expressions eg., 2 x 1 lumber  ..the better

Getting back to the original point...I don't think two x one timber ever measured 38 x 19 mm {-) unless it was DARed until a new set of planer blades were required...........................or in today's world it should have been 50 x 25 mm

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 02:25:08 am »

It depends on what type of timber (forget lumber unless you are American).   Softwood, hardwood and Cypress all come in different sizes and tolerances and don't forget if it is seasoned or unseasoned, dressed or rough sawn.   >>:-(

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:07 am »

not to mention that when you buy a pack of 10 planed timbers at b&Q strapped together, when you cut the straps at one end the pieces all resume their original shapes twisting all over the place.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:29 am »

Two by one, would actually be (1.5" x 0.75") 38 x 19mm. Believe it or not.
Rounded dimensions just for the purposes of the story which was almost just a story.  The following is true.

Back then, I needed to do some pop riveting to extend the life of my marginal MOT pass and needed extra bits, drilling rust is heavy on drill bits.
"Good day young Sir," says I "Have you got any three point three millimeter drill bits?"
He looked over his shoulder and called to his squad of minnions lurking in the shelving, "Have we got any three point three metre drills?"  They were still struggling with the new-fangled metrication.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:35:47 am »

Well yes......still with timber sizing..................

Some 55 years ago, a low pressure hydraulic gear pump required replacement, however this was out of direct free reach of the overhead crane
This task required a makeshift wooden A frame over the pump and was designated to......a Leading Hand Fitter, a Fitter, an Iron Worker, a Rigger & the Apprentice [ :embarrassed: ]

So after loosening off a number of flange bolts, the Fitter suggested to all that we need a Left Handed 5/8" UNF Sky Hook Bolt

You guessed it...me as the 15 year old Apprentice went from the Main Store ,.......to the Wire Mill Store ...and back to the Tube Mill Store before I smelt the RAT joke >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:02:32 am »

Aaahhh - you weren't looking in the right store - what you needed was one of these  O0  oh and i fell into the 2 x 1 trap where the 2 x 1 in imperial was un-planed timber and in metric after planing came out at the 38 mm x 19 mm

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 11:20:24 am »

Here is the front and rear hook - one is right handed and the other left handed  %) ;) {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:23 am »

If you need to check dimensions, when it comes to electonics, most of us on here are as thick as two short planks...

Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »

I gave my bosses a drawing of an admiralty hook - skye pattern

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 07:15:03 pm »

About 20 years ago a work colleague of my wife related the following tale:

He was in court (not sure what for but he was not involved with the tale) when a chap was up before the court for helping himself to a few building supplies from the site. When asked by the prosecution what he did he replied " well you just takes a few bits of 4 be 2 and bungs them in the back of the van" Question from a very posh lady Lawyer "and what exactly is 4  B  2?"

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.