Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storage  (Read 2621 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Storage
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »

I am looking around at storage drawers for all the bits I have, currently everything is either in biscuit tins or old photocopy paper box lids or the actual model box lid, the biscuit tin lids get used as well, so was looking at inexpensive stacked draw units, there is a massive variation of types and a lot have very small long boxes which are not really much use but for screws, those like a toolbox draw like a clarkes say like those found in a garage cost upwards of £40+.

Any suggestions on where or what type is best, from my bench to the underside of the next obstruction is about 500 mm.

This should be interesting, found a unit in aldi at £18, discuss
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:10:31 pm »

How big are the bits?
I have used a a lot of these small stacking boxes in the past. for very small parts I bought about 10 artists boxes with 60 holes/compartments. Because they are all the same they stack. The lids were not hinged, but I used Ducktape to form the hinges. The white plastic allowed me to write on the edges of the box, and so even if the stack moves order, I know where everything is.
Just go to Amazon/Argos and search of 'fishing tackle box' or 'artists box' for that type of thing.

For pieces up to about 22cm long, these would work https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6346885
or these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Compartment-Hobbies-Fishing-Tackle/dp/B077GYB9D1/ref=sr_1_7?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1549728506&sr=1-7&keywords=fishing+tackle+box

For smaller bits, these are stack-able and cheap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JFYJLK2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07JFYJLK2&pd_rd_w=UnkDu&pf_rd_p=454d2892-a6d1-488a-b5c1-57058b38bc92&pd_rd_wg=hxqso&pf_rd_r=TACN4AHT3D9TM7TGV4W8&pd_rd_r=5afae2d8-2c83-11e9-abba-f1f3c81f9f79
These come in various sizes and are stack-able https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KVJTHFY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07KVJTHFY&pd_rd_w=wP5BF&pf_rd_p=454d2892-a6d1-488a-b5c1-57058b38bc92&pd_rd_wg=hROxp&pf_rd_r=EA3E3RSRFM6F9JA50W6W&pd_rd_r=ce8d85e1-2c83-11e9-abba-f1f3c81f9f79
For very small parts I use someting like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G473BCN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07G473BCN&pd_rd_w=6R0tQ&pf_rd_p=454d2892-a6d1-488a-b5c1-57058b38bc92&pd_rd_wg=nSs79&pf_rd_r=HNAWHSXRQ8QBTGCEREMN&pd_rd_r=32a5b864-2c83-11e9-8855-e763fa1967f0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:18:10 pm »

For my workshop I use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N2P614C/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07N2P614C&pd_rd_w=qaooC&pf_rd_p=454d2892-a6d1-488a-b5c1-57058b38bc92&pd_rd_wg=BgZnv&pf_rd_r=3QNZ6HVWQSSTEXSBATDN&pd_rd_r=ae54b490-2c85-11e9-8c27-41546abc73e7

Several different configurations. Just scroll down the page in the link to the [size=16px !important][color=rgb(204, 102, 0) !important]Customers who viewed this item also viewed[/color][/size]

I have 6 of the 39 drawer units.
They are mounted in a cabinet on wheels, 3 at the front, 3 at the back. It is about 40cm square. On 4 turning castors it can be rotated easily as well as being wheeled around the shop.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:50:36 am »

Thanks Guys, spent ages looking at various ones and forgot all about the fishing community in looking, the second offering appears to be a contender, adjustable partitions and a reasonably sized case and the last offering gives a draw unit which is what I was predominately looking for, the 'bits' are Humbrol paints and brushes, screws / bolts etc, electrical pieces like varo board etc multi-meter and associated leads, mostly tools like wire strippers and lots of drill bits, screwdrivers etc - you get the gist, the main problem in my search's was size of the drawers to the cost - though these appear to the best of both worlds.  O0 

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:53 pm »

most of my storage solutions have come from lidl, from multi compartment cased for nuts and bolts, to wall racked bins, and drawer racks add a set of component drawers from when maplins were shutting down and selling off shop fittings, and a rack or two of the 07 litre clip lid storage containers from the range, and thats my two work areas sorted.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 05:32:03 am »

I have 3 multi drawers on the wall, a plastic freestanding 4 drawer unit (20ltrs a drawer) aluminium cases for 15 tx units, a rack of a further 20 tx units, a desktop 3 drawer a4 plasic storage unit for escs, wet and dry, brass rods etc. washing tablet plastic boxes for screwdrivers, chisels etc, metal tin box with foam insert which has 30 plus scapel and modelling knives, clay sculpting tools and crochet hooks. plus several carry boxes seperated into motors, couplings and props, electronic box, servos and horns, etc etc etc
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:50:32 am »

have a look at the Q2 & Q4 storage bins, from Screwfix, for the small stuff.  Modular, purchased one piece at a time, and clips together.   And cheap.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »

Recently bought a McAllister storage organiser for the excess screws etc, and quite right they are useless for loos items stored in them, since if you turn the box on its side as the partitions don't go to the top of the lid - everything mixes, not a problem for mine as I have everything sorted into bags, predominately the money bags from banks, this container is for the household fixtures for when we do jobs about the house and now joins it's predecessor which is even bigger holding brackets etc.

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 06:59:26 pm »

Hobbycraft sell a stack of 4 drawers approx 9inch deep x 15inch long also a smaller version 8 drawers 2inch deep by same length.
Dont know if you have a store near you though.
Spoilt for choice.
N

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:47 pm »

Most of the drawer systems are available at either B & Q, Homebase, The Range, B & M.  Choose a store.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 05:29:45 pm »

Last time I was in Hobbycraft (last year) they were about £15+ with several drawers, B & Q sells something similar at about £11 but with 4-5 drawers, Aldi has a smaller version 4 drawers, cannot remember how much though, the bench I built is 700 mm off the floor but is about 600 mm wide, so those that I would put underneath would be on the wheels, but I have an idea which to get for on the bench

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:42 am »

I would be inclined to wall mount them about  3-400mm above the bench. Even if only 200mm above the bench, it gives you some space to rotate work pieces.
I have a 200mm wide shelf 400mm above one end of my bench. Nothing above the other end of the bench to give me full clearance.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 11:18:00 am »

Yea was thinking about that as well - the bench is built under the roof support beams - just to clarify, this is a terraced house where they used 4 x 300 mm deep beams about 5 m long going from one side to the other between the houses, with a ridge beam of say 200 mm x 75 mm following the same tack.

This means the height under the beams in the centre are 1250 mm, this gives a roof area in the centre about 5 m long 3 m high at the ridge and 1600 mm at the beams and 3 m between the beams, with a further 400 mm under the beams to a comfortable reachable distance, so the bench is mostly under the beam with a 500 mm gap between the bench and the beam, I boarded out the beam and the rafters with light ply to give a cleaner inside, still have to finish it off though. and then clear out the majority of the excess rubbish up there, affixing them to the wall is ideal to take the weight off the floor.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 11:41:21 am »

What would you think about mounting storage under the beam? Maybe the depth of the beam and a height of 200mm.
Because it is a small space, I would think about making a cabinet (simple open box) on castors. Maybe 1m long, 400mm wide, and 7-800 mm high, including wheels. Use variations on the storage bins available. Most bins are 200 deep, so you can have bins that open at the front and bins that open at the back.
The wheels allow you to spin it.
The big advantage with doing this is that you get a mobile work table to hold odds and sods when you are working on the bench.
The cabinet can be butt jointed and made from a sheet of 3/4" ply (see pic), glue and nails/screws. If you glue and screw, you won't even need clamps. Castors on the bottom. 3"castors are ideal, and if two of the wheels lock, you can do pretty heavy work on it as a table/bench, no worries. The storage boxes would then be mounted in the cabinet.
NB, even though only butt jointed, this type of box is really strong.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:49:41 pm »

As it's a loft and any weight needs to be of the deck, hence why I need to clean out the other rubbish, several doors from the old kitchen re-utilised to make a cabinet that is affixed to the beam with shelves etc, but the small drawer units as suggested by yourself is a goer - just waiting for payday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.