Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Nordic  (Read 2336 times)

Ferry Man

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Graupner Nordic
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:41:10 am »

Hi All

I am quite new to the R/C ship world but not new to scratch building models with over 30 years experience in kit making and scratch built display ships.

Having said that I am interested in getting this ship as it comes with the motors and servo for the rudder and is quite pre-finishied in terms of the Hull and I want to quickly get my first ship up and running.
Has anyone had any experience with this kit or Graupner in general? They look good quality but want to make sure before I spend heaps on it :) All opinions are welcome.

Michael

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner Nordic
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 01:00:45 am »

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.
I haven't had any experience with the Nordic, but am building the Graupner Multi Jet boat at present and the kit is very very good quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Ferry Man

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:23:53 am »

Thanks for the feedback on Graupner :) And thank you for the welcome it is good to be with people with a passion for boats and ships :)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:09 am »

Hi Michael
Never seen a Graupner Nordic but seen several graupner ready to runs .
Note these are made in China so quality can vary model to model . When you buy it inspect throughly. Any complanents speak to whom you brought it off imedatily . If you buy from over seas make sure that they are aware you will be sending it back at THERE cost. Only pay with apayment system that protects you ,Paypal VIsa but please check the NZ terms and conditions as them may differ to the UK.
It would be wise to remove rudders and shaft and make sure they are greased with the correct grease.
You will need to install your own raido. Note some times the motor coulings are crap and you would need to up grade.
While these boats are very good and the detail is great they are made to a buget and it can be the motos and running gear they skimp on.
What they do does seam to vary from ship to ship so Titanic may have a weakness in one spot and a diffrent ship a weakness in another.
A friend has the QM2. it took two attempts to get a decent model . First one shiftted in transport and ripped of half the life boats. Yes it could have been fixed but what should you fix it when you have payed over £1200

John

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:13:22 am »

Hi Michael

I purchased this kit before Christmas.Done a bit of work on her as a intermittent break from my Seabex One.I also bought a book by a German publisher on the design and construction of her including the author scratchbuilding a 1/75 model of her whilst the prototype was being built.
The kit is not without one or two issues.The kort nozzles come moulded as a pair included the central support.I had the split this and glue back together as this piece is cast resin and was distorted.
There are two random square holes in the aft deck above the rudders.No provision is made for any sort of hatch.This is left to the builders ingenuity.
I built the superstructure carcass from deck to the top of the bridge in two days!The multi axis cnc milling of the parts is brilliant but extreme care and dry assembly is needed as the instructions are very basic.For instance,there is a piece which looks like a base plate for the superstructure,but in fact it isn't.I had to do a little draughting to come to the conclusion it actually sits 37mm above the bottom of the superstructure.
The photoectch sheets are brilliant.They even include treadplate on the individual stair steps.Holes are premarked from the railings and once you have sussed how to fold the railings as the manufacturer intended,they line up perfectly.

Any regrets in my purchase,NO!This is perhaps the most accurate to the original RC model boat kit I have had in my possession.It is marketed as museum quality,a phrase that is often misused.However,in this case,with minimum additional work,the standard of what would be best described as a builder's model is achievable.

I have been taking pics and will start a log when I am further on.Like I said,I bought this build as a bit of light relief from Seabex so isn't my main project.
Hope this is of some help

Regards

Nigel

Ferry Man

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:15:09 pm »

Hi Nigel

Thank you for your input and feed back. I too have brought the same book, The English translation on the Nordic. It is yet to arrive. Can you tell me a little bit about it like does it include the GA Plans of the Original Vessel. [I want to fit out the Bridge] And if it includes a ton of construction photos I would be very happy :)

I am leaning more towards getting this now as It looks to be an impressive Model. Would be interested to see a build log as It would help me too.
Thanks again

Michael

Ferry Man

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:35:48 pm »

Hi John

Thank you for that input regarding the running gear and purchasing from overseas. A long time ago I got a kit of a merchant vessel from a manufacture that I will keep nameless. It put me off because none of the superstructure parts fitted properly or were poorly made and the Bow of the ship was smashed on arrival. The refused to pay the cost of sending it back and it put me off for years until now. [I just really want an R/C boat :)

Michael

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 11:46:21 pm »

Michael

It does include the GA but it is quite small.Mountains of pics during construction and completion including the bridge inside.Defineately enough info to fit it out inside the bridge.The nicest thing about the kit. I think is that the cast resin fittings are replicas of the original not some generic lump from the manufacturers parts bin.I will start a log if you get the kit and you think it will benefit you.The geometry of the bridge roof is interesting and had me scratching my head for a couple of hours.Looks impressive when together though.All the windows have cnc cut frames on a separate sheet of abs

Regards

Nigel

Ferry Man

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 12:04:50 am »

Thanks Nigel

I should be making my final decision this week or early next. Thanks for the info on the book. I'm waiting on it to come by Royal Mail so I am expecting it this week [hopefully] Royal Mail is often faster than our local delivery in New Zealand :) Any way once  I do decide I'll let you know because a build log would be really helpful as I am more of a visual learner and can bounce ideas off you. The Bridge does look impressive, I've seen a few video's on You Tube of the Nordic in rough seas. Exciting stuff!

Anyway will keep in contact.

Michael

Ferry Man

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:01:42 am »

So I have got the Nordic from Graupner in the U.S so I am looking forward to it. Have also brought a book just on the ship itself which will help me add the little details and mods that I want to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.