Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut tug  (Read 2649 times)

jaffy012

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Aeronaut tug
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:21:12 pm »

hi i am new to this site so i hope you can help, i am building aeronaut jonny harbour tug and the instuctions are pretty rubbish, i am stuck at the rudders the instuctions say one thing the pics say another, can anyone help me please, also because the deck and superstructure is made of plastic what is best glue to use, all help would be appreciated,   colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: aeronaut tug
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 03:41:06 am »

Greetings Jaffy,

Welcome to the Mayhem!

1. Which Aeronaut tug?

2. Can you take photos of the rudder parts?

( See: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.msg644304.html#msg644304 )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jaffy012

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:26:01 am »

hi thanks for reply its the jonny habour tug by aeronaut, the problem im having is the actuall parts for the ruddersdid you get the pic i sent if you read section 13 it does not make a lot of sense 40 is just 2 pieces plastic they call a oubler 41.2 is plastic tube do i stick 41.2 to 40 and then if you look at section 15 where i have the arrowthere is a space between rudder and hull, the rudder shaft is brass tube the tiller does not fit unless you put a brass rod in the tube, i am getting very frustrated wth it as the instuctions are rubbish,  colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:08:31 am »

The rudder tube runs through the hull bottom with a bush on the inside and another on the outside the "Doubler", both glued to the tube.
There should be a brass rod fixed through the rudder (rudder shaft), running up the indide of the tube leaving, as the instructions say, 4mm at the bottom and enough at the top of the tube to engage the tiller arm above the silicon tube water seal.
The bush is jst there to give extra strength to the hull in that area, the tube is the bearing for the rudder shaft, the rudder shaft is a brass rod which rotates in the fixed tube.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jaffy012

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:32 pm »

hi thanks for reply where i am lost is 41.1 is 128 mm long  and is solid rod there is no solid rod in kit that long the only 128mm brass is a tube i now understand what you are saying but instructions are not very clear, i have made the rudders but with tube sticking out 4 mm at bottom when it should be the rod as i said these instructions are not clear,  colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:42 am »

Looks like the instructions might have lost something in translation - mostly the mention that the rudder shaft should be a 4mm dia rod which should pass through a length of 5mm OD tube which is fixed to the doublers.  The doubler bushes are just there to give extra strength to support the tube which seems to have vanished from the instructions, or they just forgot to give it a number.  The plastic sounds like a sliding fit on the lubed rod and a stretch fit to grip the top of the tube. 

jaffy012

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 11:50:00 am »

hi yes u are right its good a friend has 3d printer he  has made me niew rudders. why do we have to keep answerwing these silly questions

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:23 am »

My replacement rudders have usually been layers of plasicard or balsa, but 3D printing is really useful.
I have been known to chommer the shaft out with a Dremmel then, after laying the new shaft in place, fill the void in with epoxy.  When its painted, all you see is the paint.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:38 am »

hi yes u are right its good a friend has 3d printer he  has made me new rudders.
....why do we have to keep answering these silly questions

...  "there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers".
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.