Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid Boy  (Read 2012 times)

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Stupid Boy
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:29:47 pm »

Recently I have suffered from a cough, cold and flu type symptons. Probably my stupidity stems from two  things:-  1.) I have been using super glue in my "workshop" , a nice warm room heated mainly by the tumble dryer, but with little ventilation. 2.) Reading up about the effects of cyanoacrylic fumes, this is probably the more stupid of the two. Others on this forum have reported similar things and I would like to hear of their experiences. I should add that I was diagnosed with emphysema probably from smoking, but I gave up smoking 45 years ago. I also belong to the generation whose main working career in electrical and mechanical engineering was unfettered by messrs 'elf and safety. John.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stupid Boy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:37:27 pm »

Very likely the cyano. One whiff and I get acute hayfever symptoms for 3 days. However I can tolerate the odourless type for those jobs where cyano is the best option although it is more expensive. Superphatic is another alternative depending on what materials you are gluing together. 5 minute epoxy is another option for many jobs.
Colin

RST

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »

I take my hat off and admire you massively for giving up smoking, something I'm struggling with.

Cyano fumes for me bring-on cold and flu symptoms if used too much on an enclosed area.  MEK fumes for me are pretty bad (everyone I work with likes them so makes me bad saying NO).  I have no problem with Epoxy -but everyone else complains on noxious fumes I can't smell it at all past a "sweetness".

Everyone should read and understand the labels of what products we use.  We're only modellers but we usually use some quite complex adhesives etc.  We often falsely think the industry standard rules don't apply because we're modellers!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:09:08 pm »

You may find that it's the specific brand of cyano that causes the problem. I take the normal precautions of ventilation/mask etc. and seem to have little reaction to the Locktite cyano that I have used for ages. BUT BUT BUT I tried the Gorilla squirt/brush type and my eyes felt that I'd been punched - Very Hard!
Apparently the eyes had lost their lubrication in that the tear ducts had stopped. Soon sorted by the eye clinic but very scary at the time!
 <:( 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:17:24 pm »

I think people do react differently but if you do react then it is best to stop using it. I have used several standard brands and only the odourless type doen't seem to affect me significantly.

Using MEK brings a slight reaction if in an unventilated space but not too bad. All these adhesives have volatiles and a mask is not necessarily going to be a protection. Best to use outside and upwind which is not very useful advice at this time of year!

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:57 am »

There are mask canisters specifically for gas and vapour. Most of the masks on sale in DIY shops are particulate only, you need to specifically ask for gas and vapour type. You should be able to find replacement canisters for most masks, which saves a lot.

The thing with the eyes, I had not thought about with CA. That needs considering. There are full face shield and respirator combos, they aren't cheap though; but worth considering if you are going to use CA a lot.

We used to use MEK in a factory I worked in. Small plastic bottles with a hypodermic needle on the top. We would run the needle top along the joint. I once accidentally stabbed myself in the finger. A pain started working its way up my arm, but luckily after about 10 seconds it stopped at the top of my arm. You can imagine my concern.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:42:22 am »

Large amounts of superglue affect me like you say requiring loads of snot rags! I am rigging up an extractor hood for the home workshop (Dinner table) I find the reaction between applying large amounts of superglue to Balsa causes the worst symptoms so am giving this practice up in favour of adhesives less pungent.
Pond weed is your enemy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 08:54:58 am »

I am rigging up an extractor hood for the home workshop (Dinner table)

Very good idea.  :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:20:55 am »

Hi RST, I managed to give up smoking 48 years ago.  I had tried several times before, I even managed a year but came back.

My eventual 'cure' was a decision I made to buy a kit for an 'OO' gauge loco which I could not afford.  I worked out how many cigarettes this would cost and gave up smoking until I had 'paid' for the loco.  This was 5 weeks then I could start smoking again.

After the five weeks I said to myself you have got so far see how long you can last and like I said that was quite a long while.  I expect everyone has told you that you will feel better, which you will and you must be aware of the health issues.
The loco was a really crap kit with a set of health issues of its own.  I made a new chassis put on decent wheels and it languished unloved for many years, then I had a desire to build a model railway and took advice on finishing the loco fitted a modern can motor and it has come out quite respectable having taken over 30 years from start to finish.  My little 57XX runs very well on my railway.
Regards and good luck,
Roy

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:00 am »

The balsa/cyano bit mentioned by Ian seems to be similar to mopping up excess cyano with a point of tissue in that it seems to start some sort of exothermic reaction and can give off a high level of smoky vapour.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:19 am »

The balsa/cyano bit mentioned by Ian seems to be similar to mopping up excess cyano with a point of tissue in that it seems to start some sort of exothermic reaction and can give off a high level of smoky vapour.

It could be that in both cases you are substantially increasing the surface area of the CA exposed to the air, as it is drawn along and across the fibers. If this is the case the CA then reacts on contact with moisture in the air at a faster rate, giving off the fumes in a shorter space of time.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 08:22:23 pm »

As we know Balsa soaks up sanding sealer like a drought so it makes sense that the much increased surface area does it. For comparison, I used smaller amounts of CA last night to stick resin figures together and had no effect thereafter.
Pond weed is your enemy

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:51:44 pm »

A tip I got from a RAF type at an exhibition was to coat balsa with a mix of dope and talc. as a sealer.
He was helping to fly a compressed air Hawker Hunter at the time.
Anyone else remember the display?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.