Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plastic pipe  (Read 673 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
plastic pipe
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:52:16 PM »

Looking for about 300mm of 60mm dia  plastic pipe, seems incredibly dear on the good old net.

Bob
I will finish this model

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: plastic pipe
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:36:36 PM »

You can get a metre of 60mm pvc pipe for a couple of quid. Are you looking for clear plastic, that can be expensive.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:43:32 PM »

Sub
Just big standard white not found any in local diy and tinternet only seems to clear actual
Itís needed for forward mast on my CVS-01 to support huge radome
Any pointers welcomed  :-))

Bob
I will finish this model

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:40:37 AM »

Why does the forum not display some messages right?  Sorry I give up after 8 or 9 attempts!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »

Sorry my mistake- was thinking of 50mm pipe. 60mm is a bit more tricky, it is out there, but more expensive. Does it have to be that exact diameter?

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »

How high is the Radome, if the piece only needs to be say 50 to 100 mm, why not make it out of plastic card at 188.52 length, heated in an oven and rolled round a rolling pin kitchen roll tube or any thing circular like a jar, just make a stiff card former for when its cooling, alternatively a few rolls of the cereal boxes to create the former and then roll it straight on to it and then leave it to set. depends on the thickness of the plastic card used.

60 o/d = 188.52 mm or if the thickness of the plasticard is 1 mm i.e. 58 i/d = 182.23 mm or is thinner at say 0.5 mm thk i.e. 59 i/d = 185.37 mm. depends how long the actual tube is needed to be.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Royal Sovereign
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, HMS Victory, tug, cardboard castle class convert, got the new job, looking again though

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »

does it have to be plastic, I know some large format printers use a 50mm ID for the cardboard rolls in the middle of the paper, wall thickness must be 2.5 - 3mm so around the correct diameter. - just checked the ones in our printer are 55mm OD (that could possible be used as a former)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »

Hi all thanks for replying. Yes plastic is choice as for the radonís dims 100mm high with 90 mm dia
The 300mm I want is so it will go through island deck all the way to 1 deck so it will prevent it getting knocked off

Bob

I will finish this model

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »

Same idea the part 'on show' created with formed plastic card heated and wrapped around a former, the former being some 50 mm pipe - much cheaper than the 60 mm and easier to obtain and can then go the depth required, the outer part would be several wraps around the inner pipe at 1.5 mm, that's 3 mm per wrap - 50 i/d 1st wrap, 53 i/d second wrap, 56 i/d third wrap all in 1.5 mm, 4th wrap 59 i/d in 0.5 mm, alternatively third & fourth wrap in 1 mm or various combinations which ever suits you.

Another is a rod of brass with two discs of plasticard wrapped in a skin of say 0.5 mm, the brass would be any diameter you want - even old heating system copper pipe at 22 mm, the choice is endless.  %%
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Royal Sovereign
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, HMS Victory, tug, cardboard castle class convert, got the new job, looking again though

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »

Is the tube going to be painted, the reason I ask , I used plastic downspout which is 50mm diameter for the funnels on my latest build, a quick rub down with fine wet and dry to give a surface the paint will stick to has worked for me. This downspout is usually for sheds or garages. HowardQ

turner

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »

Home base  Wickes BQ etc stock black fall pipe 

Been using some for my extraction system  its 68mm O/D  i have an off cut 250mm in length  any good?
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up