Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Construction sequence overview  (Read 1608 times)

SteveJo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Construction sequence overview
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:33:36 pm »

Building my first rc boat - a Billing Boats Phantom - planking of hull will be finished shortlyish - pic at end

While there are instructions in the kit they are not exactly comprehensive, e.g "Plank the bottom of the hull", very shortly followed by "Plank sides of the hull" and there's basically nothing on installing radio or finishing.  Anyway I've had a read around this forum, a look at loads of build images and am planning the following sequence

1. When hull is planked coat inside with Z-poxy finishing resin for waterproofing and strength
2. Sand the hull
3. Install prop shaft, rudder, motor, battery box and work out where/how to mount receiver, rudder servo, on/off switch and ESC
4. Veneer the hull sides
5. Sand the veneer
5. Install deck and plank it
6. Do all the fiddly bits - cockpit, seats, instruments etc.

Q1.  Is the above sequence basically correct?
Q2. When to varnish the hull sides - I'm guessing after the deck is installed?
Q3. When/how to finish the bottom of hull - what kind of paint/resin, covering - there seem to be lots of options here - something simple?

Many thanks in advance for your invaluable help

20190219_202737-640x480.jpg

SteveJo

• Shipmate
Re: Construction sequence overview
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:48:07 am »

Appreciate previous post was a complex query.  Things have been progressing and hull construction is done - planked, epoxy'd inside, veneers done, bottom of hull covered with glassfibre/resin and holes for prop shaft and rudder made.  There's a few imperfections - the mahogany veneer was incredibly fragile - but overall pretty happy with the way it is going.

Next job is to varnish/lacquer the veneer before properly installing prop shaft and painting the bottom of the hull.

Would appreciate advice on how to finish the veneer to get the lovely shiny gloss seen on other builds.  Am running a test on some scrap veneer comparing sanding sealer and varnish to just varnish as there seems to be some debate.

Any thoughts please - how would you finish the mahogany veneer on the sides of the hull? 

Cheers

20190304_104008-640x480.jpg

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 04:48:35 pm »

You can check out how I did it in this thread https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44125.0.html

RCarsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

SteveJo

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 04:52:21 pm »

Your thread has already been really helpful thanks.

But what lacquer did you use on the veneer? And how many coats?

Cheers

SteveJo

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:17:36 pm »

Ok, I found it later on - Junkers.  Not sure I appreciate the difference between lacquer and varnish - one site said varnish brush, lacquer spray (usually).

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.