Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABS v,s heat gun  (Read 1807 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
ABS v,s heat gun
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:20:24 pm »

need a bit of advice guys, whilst using a heat gun on an upgrade i was fitting to my RC yacht which is ABS, ive managed to put too much heat on the hull and the heat has distorted the deck a little, i dont think it will make much difference to my racing but for looks its a little of putting,so, if i reheat gently of course, the effected part and push down the plastic with a block of wood would the deck return to a more normal look and state..

Trucker :embarrassed:

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: ABS v,s heat gun
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:10:40 am »

My guess, would be that unless you can support the ABS from the rear as well, you could end up compounding the problem by depressing surrounding areas (to the bit you are pressing down) of the deck. There is a slim possibility that this would also distort the line between deck and hull.
If it is purely aesthetics, you could camouflage the irregularity with a paint job. Something swirly, or forest camo pattern (does not need to be brown/green/black), any irregular pattern. Possibly just the deck, or decorative patch of pattern symmetrically across the deck.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:55:20 pm »

thanks for the advice, i guess i didnt consider the support needed in side aswell as the presure required on top , as its not really that bad im not gonna risk making it worse, so im going to just have to live with my mistake..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 08:26:07 pm »

Maybe stick a flat piece of plastic over the affected section to level it up. Then you will just have an inconspicuous step where it meets the rest of the deck.
Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.