Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 56ft twin funnel Royal Navy steam pinnace - drawings ?  (Read 2772 times)

Mu17

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
56ft twin funnel Royal Navy steam pinnace - drawings ?
« on: February 24, 2019, 11:03:48 pm »

As many will be aware, there are many kits and plans for the well known 50ft steam pinnace, no doubt inspired by the superb drawings by Norman Ough.  There were many other sizes of steam pinnace carried by capital ships and although they are frequently modelled in 1/96,
I have never seen any accurate drawings of the rather splendid 56 ft twin funnel version - can anyone help please ?
Paul

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 56ft twin funnel Royal Navy steam pinnace - drawings ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:58:11 am »

Chylds Hall Models in Scotland (http://www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com/) do a nice 50ft version of the Twin funnel in 1/48th scale.  That's based on the 50ft hull but I don't think it would be too much of a stretch  {-) {-) {-) to lengthen the plans for a 50 foot.  The photo from the Science Museum is well detailed enough to work from.

My Steam Pinnace.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:52:33 am »

Hi,
    thanks for that - I was aware of the Chylds Shipyard model - but as you say, it is actually a 50ft version.
It interesting to see that twin funnel versions apparently existed of 40, 50 and 56ft pinnaces, as well as single funnel - why ???.
Of course the Norman Ough drawings of the 50ft pinnace could simply be stretched but there were other differences and it would be nice to find an original drawing. It seems odd that there don't seem to be any about.
Paul

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:14:57 pm »

Could be worthwhile contacting the Science Museum in London.  They have the builders model of the 56ft Twin so they might be holding any drawing from Thames Ironworks.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »

Blimey I recognise that photo !!!   Clearly it must have been my original inspiration and  I think I must have seen the model at the Science museum around 1965 - which is how long ago ?????
Is the model still on display ?   I've tried their website which isn't very helpful but worth an email as you say.
Many thanks
Paul

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 08:22:06 pm »

The Science Museum closed their maritime gallery a while back. They probably still have the model but it will be in storage somewhere. An unfortunate side effect of closing the gallery is that a number of models were on loan and with the closure reverted to their original owners, some of whom are now selling the models into the private sector such as the builder's model of Mauretania which was recently sold for a huge sum by aution at Charles Miller.
Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 08:34:40 pm »

The other photo I had of the Thames Iron Works Picket Boat was this one which was used in N.B.J. Stapleton's book "Steam Picket Boats"

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:39:10 pm »

Thanks for the second photo - all the more poignant in view of Colins sad news.
Certainly a model could be worked up from the photos with a bit more confidence if we knew what the beam was for the 56 footer.
I really thought that drawings would be easy to find !
Cheers
Paul

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:50:03 am »

I think that the beam would be the dimension least likely to change.  The Picket boat was designed to be hoisted aboard  and the space available would be limited.  The length could be accommodated but not the beam.

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:16 am »

Yes I see the logic there. As you say, stowage of boats was pretty cramped, so there couldn't have been much variation.
Paul

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 10:27:26 am »

Space?......

Not a problem......these RN Pinnace Boats were only designed to transport the Admiral or Rear Admiral [and his Aide de Camp] from the Battle Wagon to a G&T Banquet on shore O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 11:35:15 am »

Space?......

Not a problem......these RN Pinnace Boats were only designed to transport the Admiral or Rear Admiral [and his Aide de Camp] from the Battle Wagon to a G&T Banquet on shore O0

Derek

We were referring to the available space for stowage on the boat deck.  Picket boats had a variety of roles (including taking the Admiral for his Pink Gin)  They could be fitted with a Hotchkiss 3 Pdr and/or a Nordenfeldt gun.  Some version could be fitted with 2 Whitehead Torpedos.  Net patrol, crew transfer and troop landing were also within it's remit.

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 12:17:49 pm »

Indeed - actually I am very interested in the side dropping torpedoes - great fun.
Has anyone every modelled a functioning side drop ?
Paul

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 06:07:06 pm »

Problem solved - I've been advised that the drawing I am looking for appears in The Boats of Men of War.
Thanks for everyones help.
Paul

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 11:48:16 am »

Yup, but that's the single funnel. That said, since it's officially a vedette it may be worth searching under that name rather than pinnace. The draft is over pages 110/111 but there is a photo of a twin funnel boat that looks to be the same size on page 122
I'm pretty sure that I've a drawing for the dropping gear somewhere.
Good Luck
PS I've just done the "56ft vedette" google and the drawing from the book (and others) come straight up! :} and it's public domain downloadable!

Mu17

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 01:35:15 pm »

Thanks Tony,  I've downloaded it and the two boats looks pretty much the same except for funnels and torpedo gear.
If you do have a drawing of the dropping gear, that would be fantastic - I found some lose up photos and sketches but in fact they are for an Australia boat and looking at the Vedette drawings the two systems are quite different.
Whilst the Vedette drop gear looks straight forward, I can't actually see how its moved to its outboard position or how the jaws are activated.

Incidentally, I always assumed that the Deans Marine pinnace was a 50 ft boat but is it in fact a 56ft Vedette ?
Many thanks
Paul

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 02:13:25 pm »

Hi Paul,

I'll try scanning the pic of the 2 funnel one from the book. It may not be the 56ft boat but there is a difference in the deckhouse length.
I'll also find the drop gear stuff so you can have a play :-)) :-)) 

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 03:26:42 pm »

The term Vedette is the French word for "Picket" so the Pinnace/Picket/Vedette are to all intents and purposes interchangeable.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 05:14:54 pm »

Agreed, but vedette is on the Admiralty drawing.
Paul, pm winging its way to you.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 05:45:29 pm »

Just found this one which predated 1880
Thornycroft patent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.