Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: balsa and basswood supplies  (Read 2636 times)

surabaya

• Full Mayhemer
balsa and basswood supplies
« on: February 25, 2019, 06:43:49 pm »

Hi all.
Just decided to get back into boats again now that I have a little more time and space to work ( garage is now mine with heater :-))

Just wanted to asked where you are buying your wood from as when I used to buy it it was quite reasonable, but now it seems to be so expensive and the postage well it`s more than the cost of the wood at some  places.

I say postage because all my local shops seem to be closed down and the local Hobbycraft only had a load of split or damaged stuff.Expected me to pay full price for 1/3 un-usable sheets  >>:-(

Any good suppliers out there.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: balsa and basswood supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:47:58 pm »

http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/ONLINE-SHOP.html
No problems with this company whatsoever.
This town no longer has a model shop either. I now have to drive to Newark for 'urgent' supplies (that's a 40 mile round-trip). Dave M

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:47:24 pm »

Dave

I used to be a member of the Nottingham Model Boat Club before moving down to Oxford 7 years ago.

Livied in Wollaton at that time and used to use a Hobbystore on Beeston High Road...... it may still be going and might help minimise your trips to Newark !

Regards
Terry H

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:20:23 pm »

Terry
Hobbystore closed that shop several years ago, without notice to anyone - including the staff. I think they did the same with all of their shops on that same day, and texted the staff their redundancy notices (allegedly). Gee Dee's have finally shut their doors after over 50 years, leaving the town with no model shops for the first time since Raylight and Beecrofts ruled the roost back in the 50's.

Happy days.
Dave M

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:45:09 am »

I buy practically all my boating parts including  timbers from Cornwall Model Boats. You can virtually guarantee next day delivery even on large orders - beats me how they can turn an order round so quickly!
Postage charges are very moderate even on items over 1 metre length. Around the £6 mark , They do seem to be missing one or two items in their stock availability such as 1/8th Birch ply and some imperial sized stripwood pieces for some reason?
Slecuk.com do have a good range of all timbers but postage is considerably higher especially for lengths over 1 Meter.
Any help!
N

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:14:37 pm »

I should think they have excellent and enthusiastic management, which coupled with a good reputation and low competition, means they can keep stocks of product 'in' knowing they will not be sat on it for ages which is a cashflow killer. I imagine they built their stock levels up over time as buying stock to start a company is prohibitive as attested to by a friend of mine who started up a model shop in Bognor eight years ago. He borrowed £22'000 to start up and that went rapidly. His shop has never been cluttered in the classical model shop style of every nook filled and as much floor as you can get away with covered  :}

Cornwall's timber prices seem competitive from memory.
Pond weed is your enemy

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »

Mantua Models carries a good selection of different woods - prices are reasonable, but can't comment on the postage costs as I've always shopped there in person.
Gordon

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 11:19:41 pm »

Looking at their site I learnt that Lime and Bass wood are one and the same. That explains why SLEC only do one type of wood and not both!
Pond weed is your enemy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 05:08:00 pm »

Looking at their site I learnt that Lime and Bass wood are one and the same. That explains why SLEC only do one type of wood and not both!
    You will also see Lime and Bass referred to as Linden if you shop from abroad
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 06:21:11 pm »

Technically Lime and Basswood are different biological species. Basswood (Tilia Americana) is slightly less dense and grows in Canada and America whereas Lime (Tilia Vulgaris) is the European species. As a Woodcarver Lime is slightly stronger and can have a more pronounced grain, more noticeable in larger pieces. Basswood is often referred to as American Lime. For boatbuilding however I don't think there is any serious difference. I have found Basswood more readily available in large pieces suitable for carving Bow and Stern shapes.

John

surabaya

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 10:57:57 am »

Thank you all for your input.
I thought I would give slec a try. Ordered on 28 Feb but nothing arrived yet.
Maybe I will acquire some wood like I used to do.
 I.e. from fruit boxes and stuff. Some are made of ply and worked well with some sealer and free. :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 08:46:22 pm »

I am sure your order is in the system  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

surabaya

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 02:57:24 pm »

Hi all,
Problem with SLEC solved.
Somehow they had order listed as payment from credit card refused, however I had paid by paypal.
Phoned yesterday , order on it`s way same day, with e mail " Apologies for the confusion, this has now been sorted and your order will be with you tomorrow[/size] "[/color]
Brilliant customer service ,
If I knew their service was so quick I would have called them sooner, the lady  was very surprised when I said I ordered a week ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.