Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516  (Read 291 times)

Phil22

• Shipmate
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Great to now be active on the MBM Forum. Looking around at the wealth of shared experience is an inspiration. My GF and I hope to make our own contributions as we embark on our first build, a Billings Banckert 516.

Growing up by the sea, river tugs have always caught my eye the most. For me their shape is perfect, having a definite timeless quality.

This project is something we are working on together; I've some carpentry skills and can make tea, my better half is good with science and is not easily frustrated (this will come in handy as the build plans are let's say 'challenging'). Neither of us has any experience with electronics, this is something we'd like to learn more about to get running lights on board.

Photos of first steps:
https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/8TNe

Cheers,
Phil

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Our First Build - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:53 PM »

Hmmm...

There seems to be something amiss with the link to your pictures.  If you want them to appear in your post, do this (I assume you have uploaded your pics to the MBM image site)  -

Select the image you want to post, then click on Embed Codes under the picture.  In the Full Image section, put your cursor over the BBCode line and a small box saying Copy should appear.  Click on this, then go to your message and paste that where you want the picture to appear.  I did all that and...

Good luck with the build.  Keep asking questions, there will always be answers and the rest of us will learn something as well.

Greg

Phil22

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:41:49 PM »

Thanks so much for your help Greg!!

Think I have it now:

Keeping all the ABS cut offs for glue/bond/epoxy testing.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »

:-))

Phil22

• Shipmate
Help to bond ABS to Plywood - Billings Banckert 516
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »

Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommended way of bonding ABS to plywood? A number of threads mention epoxy and yellow glue for example. We are currently living in Japan and having tested 6 types of both flexible and stiff drying Japanese glues, so far nothing has stuck. The ABS has been roughed up but the bonds have simply peeled off even after 48 hours of drying. Any brand names would be appreciated that we could order online.

Thanks,
Phil

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »

Stabilit express (stability express more commonly marketed as). Don't know if you can get it in shops in far east. I had to order from Germany via eBay.

Rich

Phil22

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:59:33 AM »

Hey Rich, thank you so much for the reply.
We've done some initial searches here but would probably have to order from Germany too it looks like.
Appreciate your help  :-))

Phil

RST

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:25:22 AM »

No worries. Always fancied a banckert, but the wood puts me off these days, and they're getting expensive here when I see them. Do you know tamiya make a liquid solvent for abs to abs, you'll get that easy peasy.

Rich

Phil22

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:23:42 PM »

Thanks again Rich, will look out for that here (Tokyo). I was really surprised as so far I've not found any model shops which carry boats and parts. There are plenty of car, planes, helis and drones to be found. Wonder if there are any other Mayhemers here. We ordered the Banckert from a stockist a fair way from the capital (too far to visit).

Today was the first day working with the laser cut wood in the kit. Although it starts off pretty scorched on the underside, with a bit of light sanding it comes up nice. We've already decided that the plans are merely a loose guide. With a square and some creative license. pleasing results can be had. Here are some more pics of today's efforts.

Heated a spike on the stove and made a pilot hole before using a 2mm bit and finishing the rest by hand.

Some of the bigger pieces are oversized so needed some trimming and shaping.

On to sanding a bit more then priming when dry.

Cheers!

Ralph

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:24:08 PM »

Built a Banckert years ago. It's a nice wee kit. I added a bow trusted to mine cos I'd never tried one before but it handled well without using the thruster. I think I replaced some of the plywood with styrene sheet to get a better finish without all the filling and sanding.

I'd be surprised if a 2 part epoxy doesn't bond ply to roughened ABS but acrylic glues stick just about anything to anything else - Stabilit Express as has been suggested or the one I use at the moment is called Super Crylic.

Good luck with your build.  Ralph

Phil22

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:57:53 PM »

Thanks Ralph for the reply and info about Super Crylic. In your experience, how is it to sand and shape post curing?

Today we removed a little more out of the deck and sured up the frame that sits below with corner pieces and a cross-brace. This part of the deck has around a 2mm curve front to aft so it might be a bit of challenge to get the balsa insert to bend that much. We'll see.

Put a chamfer on the deck underside

Curved frame for deck underside

Widened the laser cut holes to receive the portholes

Cheers!

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:14:21 PM »

Wow Billings Banckert with the ABS hull was my first modelboat way back in time and before laser cuts. Still have it but it needs some TLC.
If you are on FB try to look up Mr Nobuhisa Watanabe he is located in Tokyo and do "play" with modelboats he may be able to point you in the right direction for modelboat parts in Tokyo.

RegardsCarsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up