Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie needing help on everything  (Read 20343 times)

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional
Re: Newbie needing help on everything
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2019, 10:53:30 pm »

HI CJK looking very good so good you can build my next model.

Stan.
HA, what pills you on Stan.  :}

RST

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2019, 11:21:17 pm »

You may struggle with decals on a matt surface anyway.  Fairly std practice waterslide decals should be on satin or gloss surface and varnished over after. Otherwise they don't take (oodles of info out there on this).  I use the decal solvent promoters / dissolvers also.  Think it's from micromark (not near it now to check) > a world of difference with to without, it dissolves the backing and the decal conforms and sticks like the provervial.  After which you still need a coat of varnish to fix / seal.  Can't help you much with varnish apart from vallejo polyurethane.  I still try to keep using oil based tinlets otherwise as much as I can, top varnish of polyurethane, just where it needs it usually.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2019, 04:11:49 pm »

Was hoping to get this job finished today - 99% there and I knocked over a desk lamp right on top of the rear 50cal MG's, snapped the MG mount clean off and part of the guard rail  <:( - back the work bench.
The rest went OK.

After the repair and getting an extension lead for the rudder servo, it will be finished - fingers crossed.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2019, 05:56:04 pm »

You really must try harder CJK not to knock things off >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-only joking. On the plus side  for your first build and taking advice on all aspects of the build you have made a fantastic job and you should feel proud. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Stan.

RST

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2019, 06:11:07 pm »

Yep, agree it looks great. And you must learn one thing in the hobby, the more important or delicate something is, you're guaranteed it's going to be the one random thing you accidentally knock or break!

RST

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2019, 06:16:10 pm »

Oh by the way my first model was the little billings lifeboat. "Un RC able" at the time. If you want a way of sealing that deck you could look at artists masking fluid. It will seal the join, but not permanently and you paint it on with a brush each time, 5 mins to dry. Worked for me on lots of small models before, not sure if I mentioned it before.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2019, 05:40:53 pm »

All done with help from Mayhem members, particularly Stan who has 'held my hand' a lot when needing instant advice.  :-))

This does now leave me in a quandary though. Putting the Calypso onto water (I bought this as a runner to tide me over until PT-109 was finished), I now realise that the RC bit of model boating just doesn't do anything for me. The building I have really enjoyed and I know there's still a long long way for me to go before I get even half the abilities shown on Mayhem - so modelling I do want to continue with. Realising this, it doesn't seem prudent to put RC kit into a model when it will never be put in water - well not by me anyway.

Is there still a future for me in Mayhem?

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2019, 06:43:13 pm »

HI cjk thank you for your comments I will always help were possible. In relation to you not wishing to fit r/c in models this to me is no problem. Over the years I have seen some very fine static models so my answer is carry on enjoying the hobby and share any future projects with us.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

RST

« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2019, 08:59:01 pm »

CJK, as Stan says you can build as much as you want, whether you R/C or not is up to you.  We all aspire to the levenl of detail on professional or museum models.  99.9999 of my time is spent building and not sailing and thinking about it I like some aspects of building more.  Just pick your balance point. Other folk post up builds of static models -look at the London bus thread for one!

....There is something nice about seeing a model like that dances across the water though.  I don't think you went the right way with your Calypso if I recall which might have introduced more troubles and hassles than it was worth as a rank beginner.
Just keep building whatever you like really.  Perhaps stick with kits though as you seem maybe a bit timid to stray too far?  You only learn by trying so nothing ventured, nothing gained next time!  Give it a go.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.