Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie needing help on everything  (Read 20352 times)

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional
Re: Newbie needing help on everything
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 05:13:50 pm »

Came to  a decision to get Calypso up and running asap with all of the old running gear but to try and lay it out a bit better, reason - I really want to get on with my own build. Consequently I am not changing the battery or fitting fuses, switches etc etc.

Please watch a video (link below), The motor drive is not right - its noisy and one prop is lazy in forward and reverse. This was like it when first tried before taking anything apart. The propshafts were very dry and I thought this could be the 'laziness' and maybe noise as well.

Props lubed with prop grease, checked shaft/ prop has end play in tube - the problems are still there. Was wondering if its the universal joints - maybe the rubber tube type would help. Hope I'm making sense!
Any thoughts please?

https://youtu.be/UVeOMDgj4Y8

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 06:51:56 pm »

WHY Have we gone secret squirrel all of a sudden it goes against the ethos of Mayhem where we all share information doing it by Pm is not cricket in MY opinion....no phone numbers are needed just company and shop details.....even the OP can source these form the internet

Dave

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:15 pm »

WHY Have we gone secret squirrel all of a sudden it goes against the ethos of Mayhem where we all share information doing it by Pm is not cricket in MY opinion....no phone numbers are needed just company and shop details.....even the OP can source these form the internet

Dave

No PM's just a phone call where much more was spoken about than this thread. It just so happened that during this conversation a few phone numbers were given. Not going secret squirrel - personal stuff that strayed for a moment.

Hopefully we can let this go it really doesn't amount to anything.

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 08:53:18 pm »

If you disconnect the prop shaft and coupling from the noisy/slow motor, then run it again. this will prove whether it is the prop shaft or the motor that is causing the problem.
You could also try measuring the current (amps) that the motor is pulling.

Ian.   

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »

If you disconnect the prop shaft and coupling from the noisy/slow motor, then run it again. this will prove whether it is the prop shaft or the motor that is causing the problem.
You could also try measuring the current (amps) that the motor is pulling.

Ian.
Ian, I ran the motors before connecting the shafts - just a normal motor sound.
Thinking more about it, could it just be sound resonating in the hull when out of water, something like a sound box. I would imagine that when afloat water would act as a sound damper? Could the hesitancy of one shaft be because there is only one ESC? I'm shooting in the dark with this  :embarrassed:

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:50 am »

The sound could be amplified slightly but, it shouldn't sound that rough. There is something wrong with the motor/shaft that is noisy and struggling to move.

The ESC could be struggling to supply both motors. I would check to see if the motors are connected to the ESC in series or parallel and maybe check that all electrical connections are "good". Try disconnecting the noisy motor, then run the quiet one on it's own. That will give you an idea of how it should sound and how loud it should be.

Having not built this model yourself, you will have no idea of how it should/ did sound when first built or of any faults/ problems that have occurred or changes made during it's life. I would be tempted to remove all of the parts from the model and run them "on the bench" . Making sure that the ESC is compatible with the motors and is capable of running two of them.

Refering to youtube (again) may answer a lot of your questions.  You may need to purchase new motors/shafts and compatible ESC, to get over this.

Ian.       

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 10:03:59 am »

The sound could be amplified slightly but, it shouldn't sound that rough. There is something wrong with the motor/shaft that is noisy and struggling to move.

The ESC could be struggling to supply both motors. I would check to see if the motors are connected to the ESC in series or parallel and maybe check that all electrical connections are "good". Try disconnecting the noisy motor, then run the quiet one on it's own. That will give you an idea of how it should sound and how loud it should be.

Having not built this model yourself, you will have no idea of how it should/ did sound when first built or of any faults/ problems that have occurred or changes made during it's life. I would be tempted to remove all of the parts from the model and run them "on the bench" . Making sure that the ESC is compatible with the motors and is capable of running two of them.

Refering to youtube (again) may answer a lot of your questions.  You may need to purchase new motors/shafts and compatible ESC, to get over this.

Ian.       
Latest tests:
1> Motors not driving shafts - just normal motor whine.
2> Swapped motors and couplings to other shafts. (this made shafts counter rotate obviously)
3> Swapped motors back leaving couplings on shafts.
4> Disconnected motors in turn. (i.e. one disengaged from coupling) - both shafts are noisy.
5> Put everything back as was.
2, 3 & 4 - Made no difference. 5 - Tightened mounts taking care to align motors/couplings up with the shafts as best as I could (there was a bit if wiggle room on the screw holes) - noise still there but hesitancy on one shaft less. Maybe suggests an alignment issue originally.

I think your last couple of paragraphs are about right. The guy I got this from was really into trains, the boat was his first and and only and got for his Son 18 years ago. It was used four times in a local pond (so he claimed) and then unused since. So everything RC is 18 years old and likely left attended for most of that time. As you say I have no history with this boat which doesn't make anything easy for me. Thanks for your help.

Its definitely time to start my own build but I need to sort the ballast out on this one first - will leave this to my next post.  ;)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »

when I first built my model it was quite noisy, eventually I found that running with a light ish oil on the bearings helped, and I tuned the motor position using an ammeter on the motor and adjusting until the load was least, also the coupling types makes a difference to noise

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 08:30:21 pm »

This one could be of serious help to you and worth a try.......get some heatshrink to fit your couplings and shrink them down with a heat gun,his should quieten the couplings down,had a similar problem with a pair of brushless motors where the couplings were noisy,every boat I now build has heatshrink on all the couplings

Dave

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 08:06:09 am »

I played around with the tightness of the motor mount screws and the 'laziness' to get going of the one shaft has almost gone - a little more playing may sort it completely.

when I first built my model it was quite noisy, eventually I found that running with a light ish oil on the bearings helped, and I tuned the motor position using an ammeter on the motor and adjusting until the load was least, also the coupling types makes a difference to noise
Unfortunately my multimeter only measures in mA so I cant do that at the moment

.......get some heatshrink to fit your couplings and shrink them down with a heat gun...........
Dave
That is definitely worth a try as one of the couplings is a loose fit - the brass ends actually just fall out, no need to pull them apart.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:23 am »

Then that's something else for your shopping list. This one is silly money https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Ammeter-AC-DC-OHM-Current-Circuit-Buzzer-Tester/372613494270
Dave M

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 11:50:40 am »

Then that's something else for your shopping list. This one is silly money https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Ammeter-AC-DC-OHM-Current-Circuit-Buzzer-Tester/372613494270
Dave M
Oh dear,  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: just checked my multimeter.  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: sometimes I really do question my sanity!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:05 am »

Oh dear,  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: just checked my multimeter.  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: sometimes I really do question my sanity!
Just goes to show, a learning curve is a real thing.  When you have survived as many mistakes as the rest of us, you will have stopped being a "Newbie".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 12:22:50 pm »

Just remember to move the red lead to the 10A socket before you start , and move it back when you have finished, most modern meters will prompt you when you turn to the 10A setting

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 08:12:22 am »

Have been away for the weekend on biker business but still couldn't get my noisy propshafts out of my mind - sad innit'  %)
Anyway, got straight onto it this morning and checked motor and prop shaft alignment. Horizontal OK but vertical all wrong so adjusted the angle on the motor brackets and I think its done!

WAS - https://youtu.be/UVeOMDgj4Y8 NOW https://youtu.be/Es5tQwKZQdk

I have learnt a lot from this little exercise.  :}

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 05:33:45 pm »

Have been a bit quiet lately, the main cause being collecting tools and materials to enable things to progress. Motive gear is working pretty well now and ballast is sorted - I managed to use a bit less lead than the amount previously used. Water line is now equal bow to stern at approx 3mm above water level.

Would have put her in the pond today if I had the body filler to stop the proboscis on the bow from letting in water. Will be able to sort that tomorrow once filler is collected.

Weather permitting she will be launched on Wednesday - that should give the other modellers a bit of entertainment :embarrassed: . Am now looking at where I go from here, Calypso was only ever to be a stop gap until my first build. I am leaning heavily towards MTB's, I will need a lot of advise soon :} .

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 08:35:54 pm »

HI CJK

Would you be going down the plan route? If you are then I have a set of plans that may be of interest to you.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »

HI CJK

Would you be going down the plan route? If you are then I have a set of plans that may be of interest to you.

Fred
Hi Fred,
If only I was a good enough modeller, I'm afraid scratch building is well out of my league right now. Ive not built any kind of model boat - not even an Airfix :embarrassed: .
I much appreciate your offer though - maybe one day ;) .

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 10:55:12 pm »

OK
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 09:13:51 pm »

Not been on here for a while mainly because the boat has been ready for sea trial's but have had trouble getting it on the water. Unfortunately it seems the local model boat club I was about to join are largely a sailing boat club although the word ‘motor’ is prominent in the clubs name.
For the last few weeks I've taken the boat to the pond and lake that the club uses, every time either no one there at all or all sail, no motor. Just didn't fancy launching for the first time with no other motor boats there to help retrieve my stricken boat if it happened. However yesterday there were a couple of guys at the pond whom I'd spoken to before and they had motor boats, yippee! So in it went.
All went well but it's not very fast, I would guess scale speed was about it and to be expected I suppose as it is running 6v SLA with 12v motors. Biggest relief - it was watertight and I had the ballast about right.
So it's time to move on and to choose my first own build. I have thought about it for a while and I'm drawn heavily towards PT/MTB's. Taking into account my lack of modelling knowledge I think starting with a plastic kit would be wise – something like the Italeri PT-109 - cheap enough to mess up completely if things don't work out. I would like to add a bit of 'complication' to test my skills by going triple motor and maybe use a couple more than the basic two channels for something extra…… we will see!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2019, 10:20:28 pm »

Theres quite a bit of figuring to do with a kit PT boat to both make it work and keep the wet out and more detail than you might want for a first try. 
In the past, Graupner did some nice performance boats.  When they went away, something remarkably similar appeared in eastern Europe, and has resurfaced here - http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=w - the Huntsman 31 should be a good go-er as well as looking good.  A low cost learning curve, but one that will give a lot of useful learning.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2019, 10:34:53 pm »

At £32 certainly worth considering.  :-))

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2019, 10:56:55 am »

Decision made and kit being delivered tomorrow. Being a 'diving in the deep end' type, Ive gone for the Italeri PT-109 - the 'deep end' approach has largely worked for me in the past with pretty much everything Ive done - I just hope it will be the same this time.  ;D

I don't know that I will be doing a build sequence on here, its all been done before and by far more capable modellers that me. However I'm pretty sure I will need advice and guidance so there will be posts from me asking for help.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2019, 02:37:49 pm »

Well what a disappointment! Kit received and contents checked - all good so far. Started construction on Friday, first stage drill out holes through deck for attachment of top side parts - still good. Come to fit the deck to the hull - disaster! The hull is approx 16mm narrower than the deck (see image). I managed to push and pull the hull sides to get the deck mounted with the 7 self-tapping fixings supplied but on release the hull sprung back to its original shape. Four of the screws are hidden under some of the deck fittings so they cant be used in the final build as the deck needs to be removable to get at the RC conversion stuff. The plan was to use magnets to secure the deck but they would definately not be strong enough to correct the hull misalignment.
I have emailed the kit supplier and am awaiting a reply.

Not a good start to my model making efforts!  {:-{

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »

Hi
Try fitting the deck again then place the hull with the deck still fitted and sink into hot water, with any luck it may pull the hull into line with deck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.