Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multiple switching solution  (Read 1600 times)

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
multiple switching solution
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:03:21 am »

ok2 Hi I all,
 am building a 1.3 metre 1:48 model of a US oil field terminal tender the Harvey Stone and I have some multiple functions to control. Have not purchased any TX for it yet but would consider "fairsky"i6.
I want to switch on and off
A 60 watt water pump 12v (RV sink supply type).
that would serve either the 2 fire monitors via a 12v solenoid valve
OR either of TWO solenoid valves to supply water to be used as bow thrusters 1 port and 1 starbd.
I am aware that I should be able to set the solenoid valve circuits to also start the pump. (How)
Also want another solenoid valve to use for water ballasting. (using same pump, same suction)
Total
4 solenoid valves (each able to start the pump independantly )
[/size]1x Rudder
[/size]2 ESCs.
[/size]Question do I need relays for the solenoids/pump.
[/size]Is there a cleverer way to do it.? (Ardino etc)
[/size]So the i6 should work 10 channel I think.
[/size]complete nerd in electronics
[/size]many thanks
[/size]Rayna

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: multiple switching solution
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 06:05:23 am »

rayna...........you will need to understand the type and flow rate of your 60W pump.......[piston, gear, diaphram? centrifugal?] from there you can determine if the pump is capable of acting against the back pressure [loss] of the tubing and orifice in the water cannons

So your single pump could be switched by four individual normally closed solenoid valves [+ some electronics] , however each of these solenoids has an initiation current, then a holding current........critical calculation will need to be made on  the sum of holding currents

An inlet solenoid valve for ballast may also require a separate [or additional] solenoid valve for the discharge of the ballast

Some of the Fish Aquarium suppliers market relatively inexpensive  solenoid valving & accessories

You may also find, that full size marine pumping logic  O0 may be required to resolve your questions   

www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-2-position-3-way-Micro-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-Air-Pump-Control-Valve-/192054258850

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

rayna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:15:09 pm »

:-)
Thanks Derek,
Yes I need to check out the pump I have in hand to get flows and current draw and same with solenoid valves which I also have ex Banggoods web site. They are in fact 15mm inlet outlet for liquid. I am aware that this particular pump might be overkill but want to get a decent jet from the two monitors so want to try it first. Have a smaller submersible unit also ex Banggood and probably for aquarium activities.
Those small ebay valves look useful as well.
I have got some feedback on what is essentially the same question on another thread from Malcolm frary which has steered me towards the ACTION electronics site.
Can I ask where you are in Aussie as I have my two kids in Adelaide and Canberra way so I get over there a couple of times a year.
thanks
again

andyquirot

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 08:32:28 pm »

Hi there
You can do the switching of 4 valves with 2 of these ebay item number 223415547410 if that's any help.
Regards Andy Q

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:42:35 pm »

The sizing of the 3/8 NB [15 mm] solenoid valve would not be an issue with respect to flow as an orifice disk in the fire monitors would determine the flow and spread characteristics of the water. The disadvantage is the larger the valve, the larger the coil & corresponding current draw

Conversely for the ballast/de-ballast function, the minimum in tube work restriction is advantageous...so the 3/8 valves would be fined as their duty cycle in ballasting is low . With the de-ballasting, you could switch the valve open and gravity will take over to the common water level....then pump out the balance

If you were using a reversible pump, you could consider de-ballasting via the same pipework

The system can have double bottom, side and topside tanks......... in real life, these are all individually connected and valved [1 solenoid valve = 1 tank, or 1 valve = 1 pair of common tanks],

Ballast tanks have extensive partitioning to impede the free movement/flow of water.The respective tanks must be 'pressed up' [filled up] to prevent water movement. To allow for this pressing up, ballast tanks also require air vents [a small 180 degree tube bend on deck to atmosphere]

Those Yorkshire capillary copper tube fittings would be ideal [90 degree Elbows, Tee's & straight unions & screwed unions for the solenoid valves] with K&S brass tube for the ballast main... all soft soldered.......[flooded suction, sea chests, basket strainers .....the ballast system could be a wonderful project in itself]

Look to the left of my postings.......based in Wollongong..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.