Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titebond III or Toolstation D4 Glue?  (Read 2790 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Titebond III or Toolstation D4 Glue?
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:35:59 am »

Toolstation D4 wood glue £8.14 for 1 litre (35oz) and advertised shelf life of 6 months from date of manufacture.
https://www.toolstation.com/d4-wood-glue/p61864?searchstr=d4

Titebond III £16.93 for 32oz and with an advertised 2yr + shelf life ( I have some much older which is still fine).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=titebond+3&crid=2WOFI2HJ5CGNM&sprefix=titebond%2Caps%2C166&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-do-p_3_8

I have been a satisfied Titebond 3 user but have been recommended to try the Toolstation D4 product which is half the price but offers the same D4 water resistance rating. I am all for saving money but not at the expense of quality, reliability or shelf life where I want to go to my stock of glue & find that it still works.

Two questions.
1. Any upsides or downsides in use with Toolstation D4 v Titebond III.
2. As I don't use vast quantities of glue and the Toolstation D4 has an advertised shelf life of only 6 months am I going the be throwing lots away having reached for it expecting it to be fine  - or is the real shelf life wildly understated?

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Titebond III or Toolstation D4 Glue?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 06:28:58 pm »

Firstly, I need to say I have never tried the Toolstation glue, so what follows is on that basis.

I have used Titebond III for years for both model and full size construction.  I have some furniture pieces which are much older than any of my models and show no signs at all of glue failure.  Great glue!  That said, I have occasionally used other glues of uncertain parentage and found them to be perfectly fine.  A point to bear in mind is that few joints in a model boat carry the sort of strain that full size joints do, and all these glues are designed for full scale use.

As for shelf life, I suspect this is a very conservative estimate to ensure they aren't caught out.  I have a bottle of Evo Stik white glue that has been knocking around for donkey's years and it still does the job (once I clear the nozzle!).  So in your position I would be happy to go for the Toolstation glue. 

Greg

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:15:02 pm »

Toolstation D4 wood glue £8.14 for 1 litre (35oz) and advertised shelf life of 6 months from date of manufacture.
https://www.toolstation.com/d4-wood-glue/p61864?searchstr=d4

Titebond III £16.93 for 32oz and with

"Product Details:  Solvent free industrial grade, high strength wood adhesive. Totally waterproof, impact and temperature resistant, and sets in just 10 minutes. Dries clear. "

.... that's quite some claim!   :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »

The D4 Product is manufactured by Everbuild  O0 .....[don't confuse,Toolstation are selling it.. <*< ] ...as I am sure, every other SIKA distributor

Everbuild is from the well known SIKA [chemical] Group

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/

SIKA have an enviable reputation in the World wide adhesive market

Derek

Sika AG, located in Baar, Switzerland, is a globally active specialty chemicals company. Sika supplies the building and construction industry as well as manufacturing industries (automotive, bus, truck, rail, solar and wind power plants, façades). Sika’s product lines feature high-quality concrete admixtures, specialty mortars, sealants and adhesives, damping and reinforcing materials, structural strengthening systems, industrial flooring as well as roofing and waterproofing systems.
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 03:36:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

As I have been happy with Titebond III and nobody has said they have practical experience of the Everbuild D4.

I have a new 32oz Titebond on the way.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 03:45:52 pm »

I tried the D4 but I found it is not as clear or as sandable and requires clamping pressure.
Personally I only use Delux materials Aliphatic, it grabs fairly quickly dries clear and sands easily.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

davejo90

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 04:11:53 pm »

I did go and by some of the D4 and I tested the curing time for it and Gorilla Clear and the winner for me was Gorilla Clear. The initial set time for Gorilla Clear is far shorter than the D4, so I have now decided to use that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.