Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

Hardware Preference 2mm Vs 4mm Propshafts

(1/4) > >>

Plastic - RIP:
Hi All
Brain picking time again...

I need to fit a couple of 12" propshafts into a 1/96 Destroyer - do I go for 2mm or 4mm? What do people recommend?  I'm using a pair of 355 motors and I usually run at scale-ish speeds - about 12"/sec.

I like 2mm propshafts with rubber couplings because they run nice & quiet and they look more correctly sized.
I like 4mm propshafts because they are beefier and longer lasting.

Do you think that propshaft choice would affect the eventual sale price when it goes on ebay?  Opinions?  Any bad experiences with 2mm shafts?  Too easy to bend?

derekwarner:
Just thinking backwards from outside the box  %)

A 4mm diameter propeller shaft in 1:96 is about 384 mm diameter in real life

A 100,000 tonne bulk carrier in real life may have a tubular prop shaft of 400 diameter

This comparison makes the smaller 2 mm diameter shaft look the better option  O0

Derek

Colin Bishop:
To be reasonably accurate the shaft should be exposed where it exits the hull and the end supported on an A bracket just in front of the propeller. This would require a collett where the shaft exits the hull to take the thrust.

Are you intending to replicate that?

Colin

gingyer:
what type of model is it?

derekwarner:
Just thinking a little more  %) ......

That M2 diameter may be a little small ....or may be one of the elements that does not lend itself to being accurately scaled

What is the Series of the motor & diameter of the motor shaft?, and what is the diameter of the propeller/s?...and finally, what is the diameter of propeller drive thread form?

Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version