Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: twin petrol inline help needed  (Read 2010 times)

kurt cave sikk 27

twin petrol inline help needed
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:19:12 pm »

O0 does anyone know if you have to run twin inline engines both at top dead center or one at top dead center and the other at a 180 degrees.any info will be greatfully received,these are 2 27 cc petrol engines O0  kurt

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: twin petrol inline help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:20:51 pm »

If these are two separate engines are you going to link them together, and are they 2 or 4 stroke?

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 10:43:08 pm »

If these are two separate engines are you going to link them together, and are they 2 or 4 stroke?
hi.they are 2 stroke engines and they are going to be linked together inline, O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:21:29 pm »

I'm sure I've read somewhere you set them up like a steam engines pistons (train) i.e. 90o which smooths out the  running a bit and should make starting a bit easier..... but what do I know!?!  :)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:32:14 pm »

I'm sure I've read somewhere you set them up like a steam engines pistons (train) i.e. 90o which smooths out the  running a bit and should make starting a bit easier..... but what do I know!?!  :)
thankyou  O0

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:08:59 am »

With respect, I've not heard of the 90 degree link theory, unless of course you put the cylinders at 90 to each other and run it as a vee twin. If you do that you can cut down the flywheels, as you only have to balance the weight of one piston and rod. If you're going to have them strictly in line, I'd go for 180 degrees to smooth out the power impulses. What does the Taplin twin do?

Telstar

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 11:52:33 am »

Hi
I've read somewhere you set them up like a steam engines pistons (train) i.e. 90o
I am pretty sure that 90o setting was to cure starting problems ( with 180o settings both pistons could stop at the end of their travel and wouldn't move when steam was reintroduced ) with petrol engines this is not a problem (you need to turn them over to get them to start).
I would go for 180o cranks the same as some of the Japanese motorcycles. The dynamic balance is supposed to be better. Something about the force of one piston changing direction on the up stroke being countered by the second piston changing direction on the down stroke. :-\
Cheers Tom

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 12:14:39 am »

Indeed 90 degree setting makes a twin steam engine self-starting - so long as the cylinders are double-acting. This is a bit tricky to achieve with i.c. engines.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 12:34:48 am »

As self starting is not needed 180 deg would seem the one to go to as most car (full size) are configured that way and boxerengines are as well ( yes I know they will prob be upright ) but it would seem like the Way to go.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.