Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting a lifeboat build - RNLB Matthew Simpson - 41ft Watson  (Read 2008 times)

engineshed

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hi to members of the forum. This is my first posting so hopefully I've understood the instructions correctly.
I've been scale model making for 40+ years and retired a couple of years ago. With my current models nearing completion, all the design work done and awaiting painting, its time to wind up the computer, start the CAD program and design something new. I’ve been considering building a 41ft Watson, specifically the RNLB Matthew Simpson stationed at Port Erin. The idea of double diagonal planking awakens the ‘up for a challenge’ principle. Having mentally debated the project for a few months (more likely years if I was honest with myself) I’ve gone to the next step of trying to find drawings. Checking through various model boat websites leads me to ModelBoatMayhem which appears to have the most active model lifeboat community with knowledgeable and skilled members.
I know there has been a moulded hull available in the past which would appear to be no longer available (I stand to be corrected on this point) but as I like to build from scratch then build drawings would be my preferred option. Does anyone have, know of, or can point me in the right direction for drawings. I’m not sure I’m competent enough to correctly interpreting original hull line drawings but failing all else this my be my ‘fall back’ position.
I’d be grateful for assistance
Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: starting a lifeboat build
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 04:42:03 pm »

Hey Phil!

Welcome to the MAYHEM!

Lot of lifeboat nutters enthusiasts on  here, they'll soon point you in the right direction.   :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »

Hi Phil welcome to the club  :-)   As Martin has said you’ll get loads of help here, there are some amazing lifeboat builders on Mayhem

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 08:33:51 am »

hi ya Phil and welcome to the madhouse :-) if you have a look at this link https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8904.0.html
by Gribeauval  - and no doubt he will be able to furnish you with all the answers you require.   Its an extremely excellent build and if you go back through some of the postings you will find it extremely interesting. One excellent modeller.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:01 am »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.