Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First plank on frame boat - what tools do I need?  (Read 1676 times)

leachim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
First plank on frame boat - what tools do I need?
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:24 am »

Just about to embark on my first plank on frame build, my darling wife bought me an Occre Ulises kit for my birthday. She seems to think that I need to have something to keep me busy now I am in to my second year of retirement.

Before I start I am trying to sort out what I need to complete the build, I have glues and a reasonable toolbox but as this is my first plank on frame build what tools do I need and what would it be useful to have but not essential?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mike

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: First plank on frame boat - what tools do I need?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:30:04 am »

Hi Mike,
Just as an indicator, there's a build video on you-tube as well as loads of stuff on here. One item you'll never have enough of is clamps, clothes pegs, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6z93IKQ_UI

Have fun!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:25:15 pm »

more clamps than you ever thought. pegs are useful, or wilcos does little 1" G clamps

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 02:25:21 pm »

Clamps as said before, more clamps. Pins, craft knife, steel ruler, small hammer (for the pins), pliers (to get the pins out!). Some sort of mechanism to steam or soak planks.

it is recommended that you plank both sides of the hull at the same time ie 1 or 2 planks at a time each side. This reduces the change of putting a twist in the hull.

Good luck.
Don't Assume Check

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 03:04:02 pm »

A plank bending tool, several types on the market.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:30:54 pm »

I agree with all of the above - you can never ever have enough clamps.  My local co-op is selling 4 Rolson clamps for £2 which is a bargain.  When ever I start a new build I pop down to B&Q and buy a white formica shelf.  These shelves are dirt cheap and are perfectly flat so they make a great building board.  If you start straight the rest will follow

A plank bending tool, several types on the market.

I don't actually own one of these.  I've found that water and heat do the job nicely.  I use a hot airgun now just because I got one cheap but before that I used my wife's hairdryer which worked a treat.  She didn't see it that way though  {-)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 07:06:37 pm »

Plank bending tools, at under a tenner, can be useful for tight bends and you can also get a twist in the plank, by crimping at an angle to the grain, where it's sometimes needed under the stern. It can also be useful getting consistent right angles in thin sheet brass or wire! I.e. useful but not essential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.