Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning to RC after 25 years  (Read 1688 times)

maxlock

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Returning to RC after 25 years
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:47:29 pm »

Hi Everyone,
 As the title says I'm getting an interest back in RC after a fair while away from it. What a huge change! I used to be glider flyer primarily although I've inherited an old Lesro Javelin powerboat which I intend to convert to electric with my young son.

I think I'm up to speed with 2.4gHz radio systems, and I've got an Arduino driving a robot buggy from a Turnigy iA6c receivers serial bus. But sizing an electric motor has got me stuck, are there any good comparisons between Glo fuel and brushless motors anywhere? Also batteries, I'm lost! :) The Javelin had a Merco 61 marine engine, which I've removed to clean the leaked fuel from the hull.
 Any reliable sources of info gratefully accepted.
 -Cheers Max.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Returning to RC after 25 years
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:10:07 pm »

IMHO, only E Flite have a brushless motor naming standard that equates to ic.
This page kind of gives you the info to work with. For example, an E Flite 46 is recokoned to be similar to an ic 46 engine. similarly the E 46's stats (and others) give a kind of indication of what kv to look for if wanting another manufacturers motors
https://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplayView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&categoryId=15029&pageSize=80&orderBy=5&discontinue=1&inventory=0&facet=mfName_ntk_cs%3A%22E-flite%22&clickpath=BrandButton_EFL3_050418

Hi Everyone,
 As the title says I'm getting an interest back in RC after a fair while away from it. What a huge change! I used to be glider flyer primarily although I've inherited an old Lesro Javelin powerboat which I intend to convert to electric with my young son.

I think I'm up to speed with 2.4gHz radio systems, and I've got an Arduino driving a robot buggy from a Turnigy iA6c receivers serial bus. But sizing an electric motor has got me stuck, are there any good comparisons between Glo fuel and brushless motors anywhere? Also batteries, I'm lost! :) The Javelin had a Merco 61 marine engine, which I've removed to clean the leaked fuel from the hull.
 Any reliable sources of info gratefully accepted.
 -Cheers Max.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:13 am »

Hi maxlock
Hobbyking have the G40 and G60 which are same power as the 40 and 60 IC motors.
eg the G60 on 5S about 9250 rpm and on 6S is about 11250rpm with power at 1500Watts(about 2HP).
Shaft 6mm, diameter 50mm and 65 Amp, so requires a 100 Amp ESC.
One of our club members has one in his Fantome cabin cruiser and goes very quick.

Canabus

maxlock

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:32:41 am »

Thanks that's really useful, I'll see if I can spec up something around those. Do you have any suggestions for batteries?-Cheers, Max

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:41:53 am »

Hi maxlock
The Turnigy or Compact Zippy around the 5800mah.
ESC a water cooled 100Amp with program card.
Prop 2 blade 60mm, the 3 blade cause prop torque.
These motors like to rev.
Canabus

maxlock

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:27:10 pm »

OK so I may've overspecced slightly, but here's what I've ordered.
Turnigy 120A marine ESCTurnigy 3000mAh 6S 40C Lipo PackIMAX B6 DC Charger 5A 50WTurnigy AquaStar 4084-1050KV Water Cooled Brushless Motor
My logic is that I won't be running it at full throttle much, and can limit it anyway?
Does it look vaguely sane?
-Cheers Max.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 01:55:43 am »

A 4082 is going to be incredibly overpowered in a Lesro Javelin, and it's maximum current is higher than the ESC you've ordered (160a). You'll have to either be very careful how you use the go stick, or fit a smaller motor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.