Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level?  (Read 1213 times)

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
Level?
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:10 am »

Hi,

Back again after another term in the Base Hospital learning to breath.

Yesterday I touched one of the many boats I am working on.

Five minutes later it was too much so we rigged up a small mobile table for me to work on.

When I get bored with the boats I have my ever faithful laptop to play with.

Photo is of a motor and prop setup ending in a Kort nozzle.

Next time I will glue the prop tube in.   O0

Regards

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Level?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:32 am »

Hmm, not criticising my friend , but this is salvageable . . .pack up the back of the motor and move it sideways slightly . . . the UJ your using is a poor copy of a genuine one, there are  good ones out there , you need to have the block pins sticking up ABOVE the plastic sleeve to avoid them climbing out of the holes and coming apart under heavy loads  . . .
A single UJ will NOT take care of major alignment problems , the centre lines of the motor and shaft need to intersect in the middle of the pin block THEN you can swivel one from the other & pack accordingly , major misalignment will need TWO UJ's back to back to compensate, even this would be limited in it's movement .
Been there , done this (haven't got a t shirt tho) , now I use a dummy alignment sleeve , same length as the coupling, bored to fit the motor shaft one end / propshaft the other end , you could even make one up out of any tubes you have that will go together , need to be a slide fit tho' . . .
Bill   

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Level?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:07:42 pm »

I assume you are trying to align the shaft with the motor? If so then measuring across 2 different diameters will not result in happiness. I would measure the shaft portion for level, then on the side of the motor for level. That still won't guarantee alignment but at least the 2 will be on the same plane.
Or as suggested above, slip a small length of tubing over both shafts, mount/shim the motor and then install the coupling again.

HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.