Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol ic reliability  (Read 6009 times)

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
Petrol ic reliability
« on: June 08, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »

Hi I am looking to build a deep vee Apache type boat for running on the local estuaries my concern is the reliability of petrol engines I don't fancy having to go rowing regularly or would I be better using electric?

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Petrol ic reliability
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:12 pm »

Model petrol engines are very reliable these days especially if you're not running a 'race' engine.

Bit of a steep learning curve.... but isn't everything!  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »

You can't go far wrong with zenoha gas marine engines.

The stock engines are good value, powerful, ultra reliable, easy starting and cheap to run.

I ve run a race tuned version for two years. Not had to replace a bearing or Any other parts so far.

Garry
Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »

Thanks my only concern was the thing cutting i do have a row boat but didn't want to be having to fetch it out constantly and gas would give me better run times and save the hassle of lots of big lipos.

As an aside i might  be tempted if i can get some interest in these parts to run a club for regular meetings but that's a future idea.

Dave

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »

If you get it set up ok, it will run with spfew stops or hiccups. The only time it should stop is if you prang it into something£!
Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 09:14:29 pm »

I've been following this with interest as I'll be setting up an Atlantic challenger with a single jet unit and a 26cc zenoah with offshore use in mind.

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:13:01 pm »

Excellent looks like its worth planning a gas boat :}

Dave

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:18:08 pm »

Hi I am looking to build a deep vee Apache type boat for running on the local estuaries my concern is the reliability of petrol engines I don't fancy having to go rowing regularly or would I be better using electric?

Dave

Hi Dave

I support the positive comments above in respect of petrol power plants. The modern engines including the race tuned ones are proving very reliable. And even a non tuned "stock" engine delivers a lot of power. The key to reliability is not so much about the chosen engine, it is all about installing all components of the boat with attention to detail such that you don't get simple things causing a problem. An example is a radio box that is not fully water proof. And of course if that causes a problem needing rescue of a stopped boat, no one can blame that on the power plant!

When I think about the larger hulls like the Apache mentioned and the Atlantic Challenger, in my humble opinion these boats are wanting for what their full sized counterparts use terms of power plants. And that for me can only be an IC engine for authenticity and pure excitement. And unlike electric power, your running time is substantial with no loss of power.

Finally Dave you mentioned about running on local estuaries ..... Irrespective of the choice of power plant, I personally would never run a boat without having at hand a safe rescue boat including the safety gear to go with it. And if that included tidal waters it would have to be a rescue boat with a reliable outboard motor sufficient to cope with any tidal flows.

Cheers
Craig

Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
    • MillPond Models
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:52:19 pm »

Like most posts here say a Good Zenoah engine cant be beaten for reliability...

Attention to detail is a must. Wiring, electric box, Push rod connections, Carb set ups and Locking your carb needles, Flexishafts and Props... The list is endless the about of issues you could get.

The engine isent always the centre of the problem.

Jack

phillnjack2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:14:49 pm »

if your going for an apache at around 57 inches or more forget petrol and get a glow engine of 90 size.
just as reliable as the petrols but a lot lighter.

phill

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 04:01:00 pm »

if your going for an apache at around 57 inches or more forget petrol and get a glow engine of 90 size.
just as reliable as the petrols but a lot lighter.

phill

thinking phils won the lottery  ;D ;D {-) {-) {-)   

dont forget about the gallon of fuel every 60mins or 40 if a cmb running at full speed if your lucky ! at 25 quid  O0 O0 {-) {-)

or get a zenoah or even the new tiger king    both will give excellent performance and good power to weight ratio and not cost a fortune to run compared to the nitro's the other plus point is spares are cheaper for most petrol compared to nitros and you wont need as much equipment with them either ie batteries glow-starters decent starter motor etc soon rack up another 100quid ontop of the price of the engine !   

tbh everyman to his own preference but my point is to consider the costs of running i know people who have bought engines at big$$$$ only to run it a few times and end up with a repair bill of half the new cost still resulting in 250quid where a brand new petrol engine can be sourced for that money
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:26 pm »

thinking phils won the lottery  ;D ;D {-) {-) {-)   

dont forget about the gallon of fuel every 60mins or 40 if a cmb running at full speed if your lucky ! at 25 quid  O0 O0 {-) {-)

or get a zenoah or even the new tiger king    both will give excellent performance and good power to weight ratio and not cost a fortune to run compared to the nitro's the other plus point is spares are cheaper for most petrol compared to nitros and you wont need as much equipment with them either ie batteries glow-starters decent starter motor etc soon rack up another 100quid ontop of the price of the engine !   

tbh everyman to his own preference but my point is to consider the costs of running i know people who have bought engines at big$$$$ only to run it a few times and end up with a repair bill of half the new cost still resulting in 250quid where a brand new petrol engine can be sourced for that money

I do agree with Mark here. The points he made here demonstrate precisely why the petrol or spark ignition boats are really making their presence known in the racing scenes.

Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:41 am »

bbdave,,firstly you say you want to run your boat in the estuaries,,, check with the local river authority for complience rules  and regulations,,there is usualy a 6 mph speed limit on most rivers and estuaries,( would you want to sit around for a couple of hours watching your boat chug along at that speed ? I think not ..most important of all health and safety (quoted many times on this forum) coupled with insurance,hard to find for your usage what with all the rules and by-laws..so please be careful in what you do, and dont take what others say and do without CHECKING FIRST... Zenoah 25.4 std Apache 57" Futaba 6EX 2.4 Prather 270 prop  good combo  good luck
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:20:35 pm »

bbdave,,firstly you say you want to run your boat in the estuaries,,, check with the local river authority for complience rules  and regulations,,there is usualy a 6 mph speed limit on most rivers and estuaries,( would you want to sit around for a couple of hours watching your boat chug along at that speed ? I think not ..most important of all health and safety (quoted many times on this forum) coupled with insurance,hard to find for your usage what with all the rules and by-laws..so please be careful in what you do, and dont take what others say and do without CHECKING FIRST... Zenoah 25.4 std Apache 57" Futaba 6EX 2.4 Prather 270 prop  good combo  good luck

den is correct  :-)) :-)) :-)) that to use your boat on any water you must have permission and abide by any local laws set out otherwise your insurance could be invalid ! the most important thing is that you do have permission to use the water your running on off the owner ! :-))
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

phillnjack3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 08:01:30 pm »

tmbc. there is no rules and regs relating to toy boats being used in estuaries and rivers and even canals. ive been through all this with authorities a few times. even once taken to court and it got laughed out.... if the model is over 8ft long then you can need a license for it on the upper thames and any of the waterways similar to this, but in tidal water NO.. in an estuary there is no actual law that says what you can do regarding speed... inside a harbour is a bit different but again the models come under toys...
and no you cannot get insurance to run in such places as again its a toy.. so if you smash it up then tough. if you hit some ones big boat and damage it then your liable to be taken to court , small claims civil court.
I run in eastuary's and on the river thames and just off the coast. what do stick to is the distance in the good weather off the beach same as the big boats so no chance of hurting anyone in the water swimming or playing.
model boats do not count as power watercraft, no matter how much you like it, in the eyes of the law its a toy boat..
its pretty much like model aircraft, over a certain size they come under rules, until then its a toy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.