Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor and ESC for Mantua Anteo Tug  (Read 2089 times)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Motor and ESC for Mantua Anteo Tug
« on: March 21, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »

I've raced 1/10th electric cars and flown foamies and slope soarers, but this is my first go at RC boats.  A friend put me in touch with someone who is downsizing his collection, and I bought a built model from him so that I can get on the water quickly. It's an Anteo tug, which seems to be a Mantua kit. 890mm long, double-planked. It's a bit tatty, but all there. Seller had bought it secondhand, so didn't know too much about it, apart from it works - he has used it a couple of times, says it's a bit sluggish.

The electrics are ancient - 12v Como Drills motor (800 size?) with what looks like a 3:1 reduction belt drive, running on 2 (parallel) 8-cell NiMH stick packs. The ESC is an antique, the size of a pack of ciggies, and a Ranger 27MHz radio. I'm thinking of ripping it all out and starting again.

I have a Futaba 6ch 2.4 radio, and a couple of decent chargers from my flying days. I think my LiPos will be too small for the tug - the biggest I've got are 3-cell 2200mAH.

What would be a suitable brushless motor and ESC for a model this size?
What batteries should I be looking at?

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Motor and ESC for Mantua Anteo Tug
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:26:13 am »

Hi clockworks
I am using straight drive 540 rock crawler brush motors(both the 55 and 60 turn)in my three fishing boats running 60mm 3blade props on a 2S 4000mah Lipo.
Before my 4000mah ones arrived I was using a 2650mah which gave a good run time.
You can use the ESC's from the cars if you can cut out/down the braking setup.
If not the Hobbyking Hobbywing 60 Amp ESC brush is the best one I have used and no program card required.
Canabus

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 02:47:30 pm »

That's jogged my memory!  I've got a 1/10th Axial crawler that I built a few years ago tucked away in the shed. Brushless setup that might do the trick.
Good to know that a car-size motor will be up to the job. I've got 2 5000mAH single cell LiPos that were used in my Mardave too. If they still work, I could wire those in series.
I'd need a new pulley for the motor, as the one in the boat is a 1/4" spindle I think.

Need to go through all my old gear, see what still works.

Is there a table/chart anywhere that links motor/prop/battery sizes to different types of model?

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 07:23:24 pm »

I dug out all my old RC gear, and most of it still works! A few of the LiPos have "puffed" in storage, but most of them charge up fine. TX pack leaked in my Futaba 35MHz set, and the main PCB looks like it's toast.
I've got four 3s 2300 packs, so I'll try the boat with 2 of those in parallel.

I decided to try it with the existing brushed motor before spending too much cash on a brushless setup. I enjoyed playing with the crawler again, so I'll not strip it for parts.
The old ESC will get replaced with an Mtroniks Marine 30 TIO that appeared on eBay.

I've got 2 working radio sets - a Futaba 6ch 2.4, and one that I'd forgotten about - a KO Propo 40MHz wheel transmitter that I converted to a 6ch 2.4GHz set using the electronics from a Spektrum DX6i. Works really well with my crawler, allowing configurable 4 wheel steering (2 wheel, 4 wheel and 4 wheel crab) and individually switched diff locks.

I'll try that set in the boat first - I never got on with sticks for steering surface craft.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 07:29:10 pm »

I think that you have made the right decision with this tug.  Its a fairly small scale model and they do go slowly as otherwise the decks just get completely flooded.  Also they don't look right going at speed so I think the motor that you have should be more than adequate.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:00:01 pm »

What got me thinking about upgrading the motor was something that the chap I bought it from mentioned. He said it was a bit "sluggish", which I took to mean "underpowered", so needing a bigger motor.

However, having removed all the electrics to tidy it up, it may have been something a lot simpler - loose drive pulley on the motor shaft. The grub screw was barely "finger tight" when I removed it to extract the motor.

I'm hoping to get it all put back together over the next few days, and down to the lake for my first go with a boat on Sunday.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »

Motor ran fine, rudder linkage needs some attention as it doesn't move enough.

Major problem with the hull though. After about 20 minutes in the water, it was sitting quite low at the front - a lot of water in the front few "compartments".
It has obviously had a bit of a whack at the front in the past. What looked like a bit of flaking paint has swollen right up into a large hole. The planking has pulled away from keel.

A club member who is a "wizard with wood" has taken it home to repair it.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:02 pm »

Got the repaired hull back, and he's done a very thorough job. As well as cutting out and replacing the damaged planking, he's epoxied and primered it up to deck level. Shouldn't be any more leaks.
Just waiting for a dry and warmer day so that I can spray it.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 05:47:06 pm »

Top job - get some pictures up on the forum

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 12:13:37 pm »

All painted, so I took it to the lake this morning. No leaks, but playtime was curtailed by getting some really fine weed stuck around the propshaft. Had to get a push back to shore. A passer-by commented that it was a bit strange seeing a tug getting pushed by a cabin cruiser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.