Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small springs  (Read 5097 times)

durhambargeman

• Full Mayhemer
small springs
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »

Hello all, Does anyone know of a supplier of small springs, principally for use in tensioning control cords inside the hull.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: small springs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:20:30 pm »

there must be a few supliers out there for you,but for a suply of various sized springs try unwanted turntables and casette players etc from your
recyling center (tip/dump) there are lots in these items and if its an older model with a radio in you even get pullys and string as a bonus O0
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 06:53:21 pm »

The moral of this is....never throw anything away.

I broke a plastic washing line peg yesterday (......don't ask!). I immediately thought, "Ah, there is a small, strong spring and a couple of paint stirrers with a little notch to rest on the edge of a tinlet".

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:03:11 pm »

Assorted springs here, click on "Miscellaneous Fixings" and scroll down. 

http://www.yellowcatshop.co.uk/shop/default.asp?clientid=14&gid=4dmod&viewstate=32769&tabcatid=3500045

O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 07:05:04 pm »

If you go around the tool traders on market stalls some usually have mixed boxes of springs for a few pounds, or if you go onto the net you can get the same sort of thing but you have to pay the postage. If you have to buy them individually as I had to do a week ago from a local engineering supplier, £1-80p each plus the dreaded vat.
Most spring manufacturers have a rather large minimum order of say about £20.
I tend to take apart anything mechanical before it is thrown away, disposable lighters and click ballpoints are a good source of small compression springs.

John

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 07:20:31 pm »

We have a "cheapo" shop locally called QD - part of a chain. Don't know if they have them where you live, but they have all sorts of cheap tools, which, as a serial tool abuser, suit me down to the ground. More to the point, however, they do "bargain boxes" at a quid a time - 100 assorted screws, washers, metric nuts and bolts -  and springs.

Worth looking out for.

Rick

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 01:14:51 pm »

If the line is accessible, stationary stores do a pack of about 100 spring tensioning devices for about 80p.  They call them rubber bands, but we know better. 
I have just a few minutes ao had to change a bulbholder - twp small spirings fell out of the remains of the old one.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

durhambargeman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 02:18:38 pm »

Thanks for all the advice fellers. I am now dismantling every household appliance and gadget. There must be some springs in there somewhere.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 05:10:51 pm »

Thanks for all the advice fellers. I am now dismantling every household appliance and gadget. There must be some springs in there somewhere.

Well, for God's sake don't start on the vacuum cleaner! I did once and the spring chased me round the room. It was like a Python had got loose. And as I was supposed to be mending the thing I had to work out how to get it back in the cage. Never again!

Bluebird v2

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »

Ah, Colin, you have what is known in my house as the 'Drumming Bear' syndrome  ;D Quick explanation:

When my son was very small, he had a drum playing plastic bear that we used to wind up and one day it failed, over to Dad to fix. So, 18 years later bits of bear are still in the box, main spring sprung..never to be seen again..but, on a more serious note,

How about the clicky top biro pens, there are springs in them; and by hey there are some 'howking geet' big springs in an automatic washer and aye, I could tell you a good story about them too.

As previously mentioned I have also dismantled an old cassette player that I thought my son had finished with, to use some of the springs and pulleys in there. 

aye
john e
bluebird

ps my son doesnt know about the cassette player yet  :P

edible_engine

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 01:25:07 am »

if you want a long thin spring take apart a empty lighter one with a flint

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 02:38:39 am »

I got some from Bruce eng , they are compression but you can tread the wire through the spring on both ends and it should work

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/materials.asp

Peter

durhambargeman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 09:37:52 am »

Thanks once again chaps, as usual one finds a lot of helpful folk on this forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.