Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FrSky Receivers  (Read 1465 times)

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
FrSky Receivers
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:07:19 am »

I'm slowly changing my boats over to use my FrSky transmitter, so that means a few new receivers.  However, I can't find any receiver that might be considered waterproof or even water resistant - is there any receiver more suitable for use in boats than those I'm seeing?  I don't need more that three channels, if that helps.  Thanks!
Gordon

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FrSky Receivers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:24 am »

No. 
It is a fact that receivers have holes in their cases to allow plugs to be inserted.  Waterpoofing these in an effective way while accounting for the range of possible plugs at a sensible price is all but impossible.  A lot of people use Corrosion X as a protective coating and swear by it.
The alternative is to mount the radio in a waterproof box.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:47:10 am »

I have put a couple of mine in a balloon it seems to work OK a little bit awkward geting it in, I haven't had any problems with them.

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 02:46:03 pm »

OK, thanks chaps, just as I thought.  I'll have a hunt for some Corrosion X and give that a try.  Putting the receiver in a balloon won't work if I want to secure the receiver with Velcro and I can't do much else in at least one of my boats.
Gordon

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 05:18:16 pm »

You can purchase tiny receivers for Frsky system. Solder cables directly to the board then pot the board in epoxy resin.

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:14:43 am »

Thanks, I may just do that for a couple of my models.
Gordon

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 04:38:05 pm »

all the frsky receivers i know of have a mechanical button on the main board to activate binding/failsafe settings (including the micro sub 1g receiver)...  if you do embed any of those receivers in epoxy, you are going to have to figure something out to replace that button.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 06:39:14 pm »

hi there

with regard waterproofing receivers or any electrical equipment in a model - the first thing that springs to mind is - we should be keeping all water out of the model in the first place  %% that surely is our first priority to make the model watertight.

I know the petrol heads tend to use sealed 'Tupperware style boxes' to keep all their electrical receivers and so forth dry - but I cannot see the need for us modellers of the lesser speeding models to do that - people might disagree there - but - in my modelling I have always kept to one golden rule - Try and keep the electrics e.g. speed controllers/receivers & etc., as high up in the model as possible.   Certainly not in the bilge of the model - for obvious reasons.

I have had situations myself with certain non-submarine models of mine where they have become submarines and I have only ever lost (and I am tempting fate here) one speed controller in this situation.   The receiver was dried out in the airing cupboard at home for several days and it was then working perfectly well after that - but - sadly the speed controller died a death  >:-o possibly because it was carrying more electrical current than the receiver.

So, to me try and keep your model watertight - rather than trying to waterproof your electrics.   

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.