Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 - another major update!  (Read 4732 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Windows 10 - another major update!
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:39:27 pm »

Watch-out , a new Windows 10 'Feature Update' has come to town!

It just trashed my PC BIOS and it wouldn't reboot, it got stuck going into BIOS !

.... Hang on ..... Fake News, it was just a stuck key on my keyboard!   {-) {-)  {-)

New features:  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-october-2018-update-the-7-best-new-features/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 - another major update!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:56:30 pm »

Pretty much every time I log into Windows I get a different background image which I assume is intended to remind me that Microsoft really own my PC, not me.  :((

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:26 pm »

Watch-out , a new Windows 10 'Feature Update' has come to town!

It just trashed my PC BIOS and it wouldn't reboot, it got stuck going into BIOS !

.... Hang on ..... Fake News, it was just a stuck key on my keyboard!   {-) {-) {-)

New features:  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-october-2018-update-the-7-best-new-features/

Am I missing something here but that update was October last year ?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:11:51 pm »

Pretty much every time I log into Windows I get a different background image which I assume is intended to remind me that Microsoft really own my PC, not me.  :((

Colin

?? Just set your own wallpaper background image then.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:48 pm »

I do but the Windows image comes up first until I login when my usual wallpaper is displayed.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:31 pm »

Umm, did not realise that..have to have a look.  You could find the windows image and save yours as theirs, not tried it but might give it a go.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »

The downloaded Windows image changes on a reguular basis!
Colin

fredd

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:35:44 pm »

You could try checking
Settings
Personalisation
Lock screen
Background
Picture or slideshow?
Set at Picture remains the same

Fred

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 10:21:20 am »

That sounds to me that you have windows wallpaper slide show active on the personalised background settings...

In there they have a selection of wallpapers preloaded.. your wall paper is changing with one of those becuuse the slideshow/rotation images is active.. just turn it off or change the preloaded images windows set with your own... just a note that features been there since win7... you must have spotted this option by now...
You can also change the “start up” image on the personalisation menu... win 10 is just a pain in the ass with the way it’s been configured, it dose make simple things a pig to sort out...thank gawd I run a Linux any issues there are my own fault  %%

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 10:59:13 am »

I can't be bothered to fiddle with irrelevant settings dreamed up by IT nerds.  life's too short. I have my main wallpaper set up and that loads as soon as Windows fires up.

Colin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 11:52:18 am »

Same as mine Colin.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 01:43:03 pm »

Very simple to change the lock screen background: (this is the first background that you see, separate from the subsequent backgrounds)
https://binged.it/2U8EOgj

Gerrit
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

gerritv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 01:47:07 pm »

win 10 is just a pain in the ass with the way it’s been configured, it dose make simple things a pig to sort out...thank gawd I run a Linux any issues there are my own fault  %%

I run Windows (since 3.0) for the reason that Linux makes simple things complex. And of course the gazillion different versions makes it even more challenging. My advice-pick one OS and stick with it. Change is difficult. (I got a hate on for Unix in the 1980's, Linux was not an improvement so I just stay away from it).

Remember, its a tool, not a life style :-)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 03:46:45 pm »

There has been no "Major" update this year.

Every time there is a "Major" update, microsoft deletes my windows 7 solitaire games and replaces it with windows 10 solitare games.
The difference is that the windows 10 games havean advertising page after every win.
To get rid of the advertising, I deleted all the windows 10 game files and found and installed windows 7 games.

I also hid copies of the game files and install program in two separate places. Because the first time I
  installed the Win7 games, microsoft deleted everything, and I had to hunt down the original web page that
offered the old game file download a second time.

So basically Microsoft 10 has embedded advertising content. This allows microsoft to make money via paid
advertising each time you use a connected feature.  :(( 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 10:44:31 am »

I assume that that is what M$ meant when they said that thier operating system was now a "service" rather than a commodity.  It is no longer something that you buy to enable you to to jobs using your PC, it is a door for M$ to draw income from anything that you do on that PC.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

gerritv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 12:57:34 pm »

I assume that that is what M$ meant when they said that thier operating system was now a "service" rather than a commodity.  It is no longer something that you buy to enable you to to jobs using your PC, it is a door for M$ to draw income from anything that you do on that PC.

Really??? Explain to me how Microsoft is making money from me using Windows 10 after the initial purchase? I see zero ads from MS while  using my PC. And zero while using their apps on my Android devices. And I use it a lot. OTOH anything Google is incessant in pushing ads and tracking me across all devices (browser cookies) so they can sell my usage to advertisers. A$$ple takes much more from your pocket and keeps on taking. 40% profit margins, and 30% take from iTunes, now 50% from publishers on their News channel. And you will be upgrading every 5-7 years due to forced obsolescence (they drop support for older machines on a regular basis, also dropping the apps for those from their store), unlike with Windows where a 12 year old laptop is now running Windows 10.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 03:53:12 pm »

Really??? Explain to me how Microsoft is making money from me using Windows 10 after the initial purchase? I see zero ads from MS while  using my PC. And zero while using their apps on my Android devices. And I use it a lot. OTOH anything Google is incessant in pushing ads and tracking me across all devices (browser cookies) so they can sell my usage to advertisers. A$$ple takes much more from your pocket and keeps on taking. 40% profit margins, and 30% take from iTunes, now 50% from publishers on their News channel. And you will be upgrading every 5-7 years due to forced obsolescence (they drop support for older machines on a regular basis, also dropping the apps for those from their store), unlike with Windows where a 12 year old laptop is now running Windows 10.

News to me !    When I bought my Apple Mac in 2014 it came with OS Yosemite,  I did not bother with El Capitan upgrade although it was available for free on the Apple Store also did not bother with Sierra although it was there later for free, Upgraded last year to High Sierra for free which I am running at the moment . At the moment Mojave is available as a freebie from the Apple Site and I will probably download it in 6 months time when it has matured and been de-nitted.

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

gerritv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 05:40:39 pm »

News to me !    When I bought my Apple Mac in 2014 it came with OS Yosemite,  I did not bother with El Capitan upgrade although it was available for free on the Apple Store also did not bother with Sierra although it was there later for free, Upgraded last year to High Sierra for free which I am running at the moment . At the moment Mojave is available as a freebie from the Apple Site and I will probably download it in 6 months time when it has matured and been de-nitted.

You are only 5 years in, it is coming :-) We recently replace 4 Mac Minis at our church with Windows PC's due to OS updates not being available for them. I forget how old they were but not 10 years. Some of the other Macs will get Windows 10 in the next year to avoid further hassles, e.g. with ProTools getting messed up with macOS upgrades. Doesn't happen when using Windows 10 for some reason....

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 Hardware EOL listing as a hint of when you will no longer get OS updates.
Generally they only provide updates for 3 releases, ie about 40 months or so.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 08:06:42 pm »

If you are not paying to use a commodity, you are the commodity, one way or another.  M$ is gathering data on you that is sellable.  Much the same as Google, Facebook, Twitter, even if not as in your face.  The other ways to monetize customers is the adverts on games wns (a bit like the "sales opportunity" when you exit a Disney ride), or to con you onto integrating yourself too tightly to the net.  You've obviously managed to ignore the Windows Shop, which refuses to go away - there is a procedure that appears to remove the unwanted rubbish, but updates invariably take up a lot of time replacing them.  Then there is the effort put into enrolling you into Office 365, which you rent, and the constant pushing of OneDrive, free so far but wait for it.  Photobucket used that bait but failed when they thought struck, thinking it was time to strike.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 11:23:27 am »

Just a thought about stuff that you might think you bought .......
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47810367

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 01:04:38 pm »

if you have alexa, or one of the other voice operated gadgets, how often have you noticed that if you have been casually talking about it, that suddenly ads keep popping up relevant to what you were talking about, have you ever wondered how much of your data allowance was being used by the system talking back to its owners to tailor their advertising specifically to you.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 03:09:45 pm »

Your phone is an advertising bug just like Alexa and Google and everything else monitoring your speech, where you go in real life, what you do on the internet, who your friends are, where you live, how much you earn, what you watch on tv, what you spend your money on, when you make large purchases, where you go on holiday, how much you spend on holiday - it's all data to be sold to the highest bidder.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 07:09:35 am »

In windows 10, there is an "Enhanced Security" feature that keeps your computer logged in to microsoft andyour "one drive" or something, and allows microsoft to keep your computer 'safer'.
There is also a app and browser scanner that can be activated to keep your internet browsing 'protected', andprevent any malicious apps from being installed.
So you can have microsoft maintain a more active presence in your computer, and online activity.
These features can also be switched OFF.  ok2

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 07:22:10 am »

Here's a scenario....

My wife & I went to Disney Florida - it's all inclusive so we have a 'Magic Band' on our wrists that's an RF tag so it opens our room door, is used to pay for everything (meals, snacks etc.) and gets you into the parks and onto the rides as a fast-pass.

At Disney Springs one evening, I decided to do 'The Void' (total immersion virtual reality adventure) and I paid the $30 in cash.

Later, back at the hotel, my wife went to get a snack and the woman behind the counter asked "Did your husband enjoy The Void?"

The Mouse knows everything.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 10:54:13 am »

AH! a 'person of interest' moment, Disney seems to be running the 'Samaritan' program. %)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.