Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 - another major update!  (Read 4731 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 - another major update!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 05:11:33 pm »

Well a sad day for me indeed - A BIG dialogue box opened on my windows 7 pc informing me that support will be withdrawn from 2020 and the heads up was to allow us users to save / backup for a transition to windows X.

If it means the pc won't work after this event say due to a system failure that is non recoverable, then my internet use will cease as will my posting on this excellent forum, why, because I like the freedom to decide what is gleened from my pc by those parties who attach themselves and making my pc obsolete just so they can get you to spend on replacing tech when they deem it to cumbersome to keep it running, in an age of uprecycling etc, I would like any suggestions as what software is similar and usuable to windows 7, where you are not tied to a spending culture i.e. MS or apple - and more importantly MBM is still accessible, lol, discuss
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »

I use Win7 - I have 3 indentical replacement PCs in the garage.   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 05:52:12 pm »

It is the support that is being withdrawn. The software will continue to work.

'Microsoft is set to end extended support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020, putting a halt on the free bug fixes and security patches for most who have the operating system installed. ... This means that anyone still running the operating system on their PCs will need to pay up to Microsoft to get continued updates.'

As long as you have got decent anti virus software I would think you can just carry on as usual. Some new software might not work though.

Colin

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 05:53:05 pm »

It won't stop working, you just won't get security updates after 2020. Windows 10 is a vast improvement, it happily runs on old machines. In a culture where ppl happily use Android and Apple phones and Google products as well as Facebook I fail to understand to understand this obsession with not sharing data. You have much less to worry about with MS's collection than Google and FB because the purpose is entirely different.

If you want services such as Alexa, Siri and Cortana, then you will be sharing some information. If you expect browser history and login info to be shared across machines, then you will have to share data. etc, etc , etc.

No doubt someone will suggest Linux in one of its gazilion flavours. Expect a big learning curve there, and still you will get weekly updates for their coding mistakes. Nothing is immune from that.
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 05:57:00 pm »

I only upgraded from XP a few years ago - when they'd slugged it to death and made it run like wading in treacle.I'll stick with Win7 for as long as possible - I don't like Win 8 or Win 10 and I don't like being used for data harvesting and people selling my information behind my back.

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 05:59:43 pm »

I don't like being used for data harvesting and people selling my information behind my back.
Can I assume you don't  use Google, or Facebook, or have an  Android or iPhone? Because if you do you every movement is being sold. How do you think those helpful 'traffic ahead' indicators show up on your GPS? From location tracking on cell phones.
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 06:00:42 pm »

nope - no facebook or google or iphone.  I have no use for them.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 06:08:41 pm »

W 10 Rocks.. :} :}

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 07:06:14 pm »

In a culture where ppl happily use Android and Apple phones and Google products as well as Facebook I fail to understand to understand this obsession with not sharing data.

SOME people happily use etc. etc.

The only one of those that I use is an Android phone, and that's only for txts and phone calls. It's not even connected to the Net.

'Social Media' isn't an essential part of loving to my mind.
Regards
Kit

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 09:29:44 pm »

be careful with win 7, a coincident windows update with an anti virus update bricked the last 6 windows 7 machines in our office last week, apparently microsoft found out and pulled the update, but not before our servers had seen it and prepared it for roll out, once rolled out it took 4 hours to do the update and then you could only get back in in safe mode. 6 machines replaced next day with win 10 machines.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 09:44:59 pm »

an issue i am facing with my and my wife's windows 7 machines (mine for personal use, hers is windows 7 because that is what she uses at work) is that on both, i am using microsoft's "windows defender" anti-virus software... i use it because it is free, and it will also no longer be updated when windows 7's support expires.... so i am looking at third party anti-virus software, or a move to windows 10 (where windows defender will be supported)...   i got burned in the past by norton and macafee anti-virus... so am curious what others are using.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 10:03:47 pm »

W 10 Rocks.. :} :}
Mostly, yes, because it can be set up to work very much like W7, totally by-passing the W8 botch. 
It is possible to limit the information it gathers.  I've only found one program that didn't work, and that was a handy juke box program that was probably pre-Win 98.  I did find a free replacement for that.  Everything else has simply worked, albeit there might be something in there that needs to work in legacy mode.
Somewhere along the line, new hardware will be needed and that will probably need W10.  Scanners tend to be the biggest culprits - they assume that if the operating system has moved on far enough, the scanner will be clapped out, so no new drivers.  No need to buy W10 at full retail - there are outlets selling second hand licences (probably legal) via Amazon at around £20 a go.
You don't tend to notice the operating system in use, its the programs that you see, and they look exactly the same.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 11:09:13 pm »

Avast and Malwarebytes both offer free versions that have worked well for me on W7. Spyware Bot is another choice that offers a free version.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.