Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New shed query  (Read 2624 times)

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
New shed query
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:50:36 pm »

Hi folks.

Finally managed to get my new shed in place. It’s a wooden shed - double skinned and insulated. Electrics are all fitted but as I’m starting with a blank internal canvas, looking for  guidance on a few do’s and don’t.

First of all, should I paint the internal walls as they are bare wood. It’s not chip wood but something like it.

I’ll attached a photo (hopefully) of the inside when I have it resized

Any pointer gratefully appreciated.

Declan

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New shed query
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:48:13 pm »

Hello Declan

I personally wold recommend painting the walls matt white. It brightens up the place, makes it lighter, and is generally a better background to work against. My Boatshed is white inside and also the workbench end of my garage.

Yours
John

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:08:20 pm »

Good idea Buccaneer,wish I had done mine when i put it up....Mind you got to put up an extension to it this year defo will get it painted up this time

Dave

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:13:00 pm »

For sure the lighter you can make it the better. LED lighting is really inexpensive to fix under your bottom shelves above your worktops. I use the cool white and even in daylight it helps older eyes focus better.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 10:36:20 pm »

Agree with the above. Painting the interior matt white makes a big difference to overall light levels and LED battens give you twice the light of fluorescents and it is more evenly spread.

I recently painted the floor of my workshop light grey over the original varnished chipboard which made things even better and a lot easier to find things dropped. Some of the paint is chipping away where the chair moves over it but I can touch it up later in the year.

Colin

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 11:51:50 pm »

I’ve posted a couple of photos at:

http://photos.ondanet.info

Some ‘untidy stuff’ has moved into shed but is going to be evicted very soon.  <*<

Declan

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:44 am »

Looks good,  is that a tin Roof? If it is you will get condensation dripping from it in cold weather.
Gerard

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:42:37 am »

walls and ceilings, Matt or satin white. put up a pin board. ALL lights above benches, and out of preference LED. on one bench have a glass sheet(shatterproof). this is used for checking suspect propshafts, gluing on and cutting!!! better than a cutting mat. I still use a cutting mat. one thing is a must.......carpet. sheds are normally built on concrete or raised platforms. both of which are b3d for cold feet syndrome. a decent chair.......i spend hours sitting on my loft. under bench storage. drawers cupboards etc. with worktop! i make mine slope slightly rearward. racking for boat storage is a must. shed alarm. you can buy ones that use a microwave system as well as motion detectors. plus the usual door and windows break locks, also some are connected to a SIM card that rings you when the alarm goes off! tool racks just above benches for the most frequently used tools. a dehumidifier/ heater. tea making facilities. an intercom into the house (don't want to miss dinner) lots of sockets.....I have about 16 in my loft, and I will probably add another 4 soon. plan your charging and battery storage area. corner shelves are good here. fire extinguisher or blanket. first aid kit. swear box. money box for putting change in ( it soon builds up, and stops it falling on the floor!) and a laptop or pc for research. tgats all I can think of for the moment
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 10:38:00 am »

Stronger support under work bench to stop it warping. Cover bench with proper lino because it's a continuous cutting mat and you can clean off glue, paint etc by scraping with a stanley blade. Vinyl flooring not carpet cos you'll lose small things for years. A small rug if you must cos you can shake it.  Wall over bench with insulation board so you can pin stuff up, not just a pin board. Decanter. Electric fan on wall for the summer. Blinds at the windows for the summer.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:43:59 am »

Great advice all round.
Lets post full pics without the link  :-))

ANDY

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:49 am »

Definitely paint it ... It'll brighten up the space hugely. And I'd be tempted to line and insulate the roof, too, if that's the roofing material's underside?

My shed, after painting:

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 11:02:36 am »

The roof looks like corrugated cement board so should not cause condensation if that's the case.
ANDY

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:21 pm »

Hi Gerard.

Yes and no!!

Its a tin roof but I got caught out when looking at the underside which looked like bare metal. Its actually a felt underlay to stop drips.

Looks good,  is that a tin Roof? If it is you will get condensation dripping from it in cold weather.
Gerard

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:49 pm »

Hi Taranis.

How did you resize the photos in terms of size? I tried uploading them but system said they were too large

Declan

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

Cheers Folks.

Shed is in its raw format at moment. Going to sand a few edges down and the workbench is going to be strengthened. I'll be adding shelving underneath the bench and possibly cupboards above and additional racking/cupboards on other wall(s). Incidentally, shed is 12' x 10' .

Will go the painting route as well. All advice taken on board.  :-)) :-))

Declan
[/size]
[/size]

Stronger support under work bench to stop it warping. Cover bench with proper lino because it's a continuous cutting mat and you can clean off glue, paint etc by scraping with a stanley blade. Vinyl flooring not carpet cos you'll lose small things for years. A small rug if you must cos you can shake it.  Wall over bench with insulation board so you can pin stuff up, not just a pin board. Decanter. Electric fan on wall for the summer. Blinds at the windows for the summer.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »

I made my bench out of 2" square timbers with a 3/4" oak flooring as the top, I then installed a sheet of 1/2" ply as a sacrificial top over that, one area then got an additional galvanised steel sheet, this is the metalworking / welding section

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 01:55:04 pm »

Hi Taranis.

How did you resize the photos in terms of size? I tried uploading them but system said they were too large

Declan

Hi Declan. As with any photo image anywhere on the web, right click on the image and select "copy image address" Then when making a post paste it into the insert image. Insert image is the picture frame top left above the smiley emoticon when making a post.
All my images are done this way i.e. hosted somewhere else so not limited to file size then copied in here with insert image
ANDY

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:32 pm »

I made my bench out of 2" square timbers with a 3/4" oak flooring as the top, I then installed a sheet of 1/2" ply as a sacrificial top over that, one area then got an additional galvanised steel sheet, this is the metalworking / welding section
I hope you are taking proper care when welding as galvanised steel is dangerous when heated, giving off zinc fumes which are very toxic if breathed in.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 08:33:40 pm »

yes the galvanised sheet is just there to catch the spatter and stop me setting the shed alight.

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 10:12:22 pm »

Hi John.

Is that Matt white emulsion paint? As per interior wall paint?

Declan

Hello Declan

I personally wold recommend painting the walls matt white. It brightens up the place, makes it lighter, and is generally a better background to work against. My Boatshed is white inside and also the workbench end of my garage.

Yours
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.