Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbine Fun cruiser  (Read 3969 times)

Euan Galloway

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Turbine Fun cruiser
« on: March 31, 2019, 08:40:19 pm »

With summer around the corner I thought  time to build a boat  , I found an old Prather fun cruiser in the garage and after a few weeks work have built something a but different ?
Wren 75 power and steered with vectored thrust so able to run in weedy water and the snow next winter ? never going to be the fastest boat about but great fun .
Next project is a MHZ Kyton again turbine powered but this time with a Jetcat marine turboshaft driving a normal prop , does anyone have any advice on the build ?

Euan Galloway

• Shipmate
Re: Turbine Fun cruiser
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:43:44 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BhWQ-JnSdw&t=59s
test ran it yesterday at 75% power and the gps indicated a top speed of 58 mph

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:00:41 pm »

Wheres the video of the 58 mph  :D

Euan Galloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:59:25 pm »

Mart,
            thanks for your interest  the only video I have so far is the one I posted , the mph was taken from my trusty Garmin .
             this was not about going fast just a bit of fun using one of my spare turbines  and a boat to play with at some of the model seaplane events I attend .
my next turbine  boat project should be a bit faster and hopefully I will start a new thread if anyone is interested , I did a good deal on a Jetcat marine turbine and one of the larger MHZ monos  as the quality of these hulls is superb along with the MHZ gearbox and semi scale drives .
Water is very different to air and as an example I have the same turbine on a 27 lbs 4.5 mtr span glider that is much faster than 58 mph ??? I was surprised the boat never went faster but I think the swans may have disagreed lol

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:30 am »

58 mph im surprised it did that to be honest but was wondering why in the video it isnt doing that speed , 25-30 mph tops in that video id say .To me its never going to be that fast,as you say water is different to air . I would like to see a video of her doing 58 mph though  :} . i ve seen a few guys over the years use these engines in boats and have never seen one anywhere close to 58 mph,just saying  %) .

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:25:40 am »

I've seen a few people attempt EDF powered boats, and one person on here attempted a flash steam turbine powered craft. None of them have ever made it past about 5mph, because on water there's too much to push against to be able to ever get enough air into the fan to allow it to get going. I'd love to see a 58mph run, but I doubt it very highly. Every turbine powered boat I've ever seen has used a propellor, some have been very fast. Jetcat even make a dedicated marine turbine

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 11:14:12 am »

Very impressive.  There are a couple of gas-turbine powered seaplanes on the Scottish model waterplane circuit.
 Is the glider a Blanik ?
..well can you land on this?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 12:24:34 pm »

I've seen a few people attempt EDF powered boats, and one person on here attempted a flash steam turbine powered craft. None of them have ever made it past about 5mph, because on water there's too much to push against to be able to ever get enough air into the fan to allow it to get going. I'd love to see a 58mph run, but I doubt it very highly. Every turbine powered boat I've ever seen has used a propellor, some have been very fast. Jetcat even make a dedicated marine turbine
I know a guy in Aus who built a hydro using a large ducted fan and she scoots along quite well,not blistering speed but scale speed id say.I have to say though ive yet to see that type of turbine push a boat anywhere near 50 mph .

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 03:36:12 pm »

Martino1, I wonder about hull shapes for high speed boats. Models seem to be inclined towards three pointers not V hulls . Maybe the the 3 point K7 Bluebird was the end of the line with aerodynamics taking over. The V hulled Aussie contender of the Warby team and the UK "Longbow"might overcome the flying brick shape of K7`,   more aerodynamic  with it`s pointed nose . Beyond design speed the sponsons become drag or worse wings .  Anybody got news of the Oz WWSR ?
..well can you land on this?

Euan Galloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 04:23:32 pm »

Very impressive.  There are a couple of gas-turbine powered seaplanes on the Scottish model waterplane circuit.
 Is the glider a Blanik ?
Yes its a Blanik and I presume you are talking about Alastair Sutherland and his own design seaplane ? I also built one with a Wren 44 again for something different and fun.

Euan Galloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 04:27:48 pm »

Edf is too expensive and the sound is just not correct plus no smell ?
I have a jetcat marine turbine on its way for my next project driving a conventional pair of props that should perform better .

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 05:16:10 pm »

Turbines are certainly cool but performance wise you cant beat traditional marine gas motors , costs a fraction of the price too , i couldnt justify stumping that kind of money out for a toy boat but each to their own .

Euan Galloway

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 05:25:33 pm »

Turbines are certainly cool but performance wise you cant beat traditional marine gas motors , costs a fraction of the price too , i couldnt justify stumping that kind of money out for a toy boat but each to their own .
Mart agree but can we use the term Petrol marine motors ? this is the UK  :}

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 10:06:22 pm »

My BIGGEST % of customers come from the USA so ill stick to GAS   :-)) .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 23 queries.