Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to trick a Tesla into a head-on collision  (Read 4253 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How to trick a Tesla into a head-on collision
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 01:41:29 am »

So klunk says....... "All motorist speed, that is a known fact," >>:-(

Sorry....which University study did these words come from?

On Australian television last night, a middle aged female Academic was proffer-sizing her thoughts on a particular subject 

The bewildered host asked this woman the subject of her PhD studies that allow her to be addressed as Dr

I was a little bewildered when the woman confirmed the subject of her PhD Thesis attained in the UK was not science related,..no, but wait

The subject was on the words and thoughts offered in a musical song Danny Minogue

So back to our subject........your offering that "all motorists speed" could technically be assumed as true as they actually drive so a speed is attained, however did they forget the word "exceed"

mmmm makes me wonder if it was the same University that offers PhD's in the thoughts of songs %%

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 05:48:07 am »

that depends on Your assessment of speed. I naturally assumed that breaking the speed limit was speeding. in your case, you obviously think that you never have. now that depends on wether or not you drive. All motorists break the speed limit, even if it 1mph over that is still breaking it. do you stay within the speed limit? have you ever done an advanced driving course? police driving course, or a defensive driving course? I don't know you personally, so I assume not, as most drivers never take more than their driving test. So i stand by my assessment, that all drivers speed! even if only by 1mph that is still speeding, by definition.
and fyi, yes, advanced driving, and defensive driving courses. I have also done the police speed awareness course, as an assessor, so I have a little insight. and i emphasize the little!
ps i have been over taken on a road while doing 30 (speed limit on road) by a gentleman on his push bike, but he was not breaking the law. go figure that one.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 06:17:01 am »

Hullo klunk .......

Well in 1972, I purchased a new Renault 12 TL here in OZ.......a bonus with the vehicle was membership to enable me a free Renault designed Advanced Driver Training Course and followed by the Defensive Element of the Course

Naturally I enrolled & the Trainer/Examiner was a local Senior Constable of our NSW Police  :police:  who happened to be an R12 owner & working the second job illegally on the side :embarrassed:  ...I passed the Course ........

With respect to points of Law........the word assumption can only be used by the Defense, not the Prosecution, and in most cases will not be accepted as a valid point in Law

You appear to gloss over the University that both Prosecution and Defense parties attended  {-)

It has been many years, but I rest my case

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 06:24:31 am »

ahh but by your own admission, what university did you go to. saying no one speeds, is not a defence either, and can actually be proven with everyone who has a black box. that is data collection that can be had under FOA. proving that you do not speed does not mean tgat you don't, it just means you have not been caught!
driving 35 years, 0 fault accidents, 3 points for speeding in said amount of years! 5 accidents non fault (hit whilst stationary at traffic lights 4 times, once while at a roundabout)
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 06:37:42 am »

Speed limits are only a traffic engineer's idea of what might be safe.   Often they do not seem to have even visited the area.
Invariably here, they are just blanket limits that bear no relevance to the actual conditions.  >>:-(
80 kph along our gravel road is criminal.  :police:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 06:49:16 am »

As klunk asks "ahh but by your own admission, what university did you go"….Well klunk...

Admitted and attended to the UOW......University of Wollongong ...... Various Studies and attainments
[some not for Public discussion re Department of Defence]
but only after an Engineering Trade Course and then an Engineering Undergraduate certification  ........

However the highest attainment in life is my Honorary Doctorate from the University of Life O0 
[according to some of my Grand Kids anyway  {-)  who say I don't drive all that fast]

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 07:24:31 am »

.....with black boxes fitted to cars, these read the area you are in and check the speed restrictions in that area. With inbuilt car sat navs, you have the same thing (mine beeps when im over the speed limit by 5mph). It is not hard for manufacturers to linkl either of these 2 items to the EMU in a car and NOT LET YOU GO ABOVE THE SPEED LIMIT!

As I said a few posts before, that's all very well but what if the GPS data on the local speed limit is wrong? It often is, sometimes indicating speeds lower than it really is and sometime higher.

And before you ask, yes I DO update the database frequently...........
Regards
Kit

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 12:53:50 pm »

I think that the idea of using GPS and speed limit data to control a vehicle still needs a lot more work on it.
Like Klunk, my car which is less than two years old has SatNav with a speed limit database and also a front camera which reads speed limit signs. However…
Camera
·         My camera only recognises numerical speed limit signs and not the national limit diagonal bar on white background sign so when leaving a 40mph zone to 60/70mph zone then if the road speed limit is not in the internal database it starts beeping until it belatedly realises it has not seen a repeater sign for a while. It’s also a nuisance when moving from a 20mph zone to a 30mph one.
·         It can often give a false warning if it picks up a limit sign on a side road that is at an angle to the road you are on.
·         On motorways it picks up variable speed limits on gantries but reverts to 70mph half way to the next gantry (no repeaters!)
·         Overgrown foliage due to poor highway maintenance frequently means it misses signs.
Onboard Database
·         This is far from comprehensive and a very large percentage of rural roads with limits are not included.
·         It is only updated occasionally and that means reprogramming the SD card in my PC which is a pain with my manufacturer. Even long standing limits often don’t make it into the update despite being on major roads.
·         It has no hope of keeping up with hundreds of local authorities constantly adding new limits and altering old ones.
·         It sometimes warns of major roadwork limits which were in fact removed a year or more previously.
·         The associated speed camera database is also pretty hopeless and out of date. 70% of fixed cameras are picked up at most.
GPS
·         GPS signals are inherently very weak and can be blocked or distorted by bad weather or interference or even by nearby buildings.
·         Accuracy is not always good enough to distinguish between the limits on a trunk road with maybe a 60mph limit which is flanked by urban side roads which may only have a 30mph limit.
·         It often gets its unmentionables in a spiral if a fast road is constructed above a local one (elevated sections).
Given all the above there is no conceivable way in which my current system could be used to control the speed of the car or act as a basis for speeding enforcement action. All cars would need to be able to access a national database system which would need to be automatically continually updated. Not sure what can be done about the potential GPS accuracy though.

Colin 

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 02:02:00 pm »

Reading a more detailed review of the ISA system in this week's 'Autocar' magazine reveals that the ISA module can be switched off, or even overridden by a kick-down on the throttle.

Current production Ford Focus' already have it installed too. I'll remember that the next time one of them passes me in my local 20 mph zone............
Regards
Kit
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.