Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin brushless motors, 2 ESCs and 2 LiPos - wiring it all up?  (Read 1198 times)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

I've just bought a secondhand Riva pleasure boat, which came complete with 2 2836 outrunners, 2 Mtroniks ESCs and 2 2200 3s LiPos (the biggest that will fit in the space available). One of the LiPos is dead, so I've ordered some replacements. Boat also has twin rudders, so the motors aren't used for steering. Props are handed, so contra-rotating.

The chap I bought it from says it was scratchbuilt. Double planked on frame, about 2 feet long. He couldn't remember how the receiver was connected, but everything else is wired up:

1 LiPo connected directly to each ESC. The ESC to Rx leads are labelled "1" and "3", so I assume that's the channel numbers, and he used mixing on the Tx to link ch3 to ch1.

Would I be better off using channel mixing, or a Y lead?  My Tx is basically a Spektrum DX6 - never used channel mixing on this radio before. I assume it can handle this function?

Is it better to stick with one LiPo pack per ESC, or parallel them (for run time), then split again for the ESCs (to ensure that the voltage remains equal on both motors as the packs discharge)?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Twin brushless motors, 2 ESCs and 2 LiPos - wiring it all up?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25:23 am »

Wired up and ready for testing at the lake on Sunday.
I decided to use my Futaba T7C radio, as my hybrid wheel radio doesn't give full travel to the rudder servo and ESC (KO wheel and trigger potentiometers don't match the Spektrum DX6i electronics very well).

Settled on mixing to run the two ESCs individually, and used one LiPo per ESC. Works fine on the bench
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.