Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schooner scratch build  (Read 1382 times)

Ed Boyce

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Schooner scratch build
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:05:17 am »

I am building Malabar Retriever, a 2 mastered schooner, using Ken Lockley's plan. Formers cut and in place on board. Spent significant time cutting and shaping keel. Plan calls for double planking using 2 layers of 1/16" planking.  I have a rabbet to cut into the keel. Plan shows a line for rabbet. Not real sure whether plans line is heel or toe of rabbet.

Any suggestions on placement of rabbet or cutting technique? I have a small wood chisel and X-Acto no. 18 blades.

For planking I have ready supply of both walnut and cypress. I will have to cut my strips on table or band saw regardless. May use one or both for planking. Any thoughts or suggestions?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Schooner scratch build
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:43:38 am »

Welcome Ed

Will pay dividends to watch a few You tube videos on planking a model wooden ship prior to you commencing your build 

The videos will also discuss various glue types & planking processes

If I could suggest, you invest in a 12" steel ruler and and a few [6] finger clamps

Clamping the keel plate with the 12" rule, you will be able to carefully scribe against the grain, the rebate into the keel plate for the planking to lock into when gluing......the clamps will also assist  when planking

The Cypress wood will be a far easier material to bend & shape for the first planking layer over the Walnut wood specie........

The Malabar Retriever hull may well have been built on diagonal planking method.......again all of this will be discussed in those YouTube video

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:24:03 am »

I agree that cypress would be better for planking. Hardwoods tend to be more brittle, harder to bend and possibly more likely to fracture in a collision.
I would notch the keel as in the diagram.
Sorry to be brief. Hellish busy.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:32:11 am »

Hi  :-)   This is a good question as the rabbet changes profile along the keel. Here’s a simple guide that can explain the whole process better than I ever could.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf

For cutting your planks your table saw is the way to go. Cutting planks on the band saw can be done but you will struggle to achieve a uniform width of 1/16. Try and use a slitting saw blade if you can as the kerf on a standard blade means that for every plank you make you loose one to dust.

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:46:40 pm »

I gave up rabbiting keels.  I put an inner keel in, plank right over it and plane it back to the inner-keel, then pin and glue on an outer-keel.The inner-keel is thinner than the outer-keel, so that it and the planking come out to the same thickness as the outer-keel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.