Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft Imara to Perseverance  (Read 6160 times)

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Caldercraft Imara to Perseverance
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:16:30 pm »

Hi I’m new to the forum,

Acting as a paramedic (joke) Id like to resuscitate this post, as myself and my dad are converting Imara to Perseverance.  I’m a stickler for detail, and my dad is doing a cracking job so far of converting her.

So far we’ve found a grainy photo of Perseverance’s port side and 2 clearer photos of her starboard side, which were working off to replicate the pipe vents and extra chimney stacks around the main chimney.

Doing our best though, gone for buff superstructure and eventually the Chatham blue band around the hull.

Any advise, photographs, finished projects etc would be greatly appreciated.  I’ve seen Brian Roberts Perseverance, which looks great!

Thanks in advance

Dean

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Caldercraft Imara to Perseverance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:31:20 pm »

Just my google findings so far
Video
https://youtu.be/LcMNmlcNTgQ

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »

Hi,

Yes I’d seen those, we’ve searched google till the cows come home, there’s some interesting reading and interpretations on the conversion.

In an ideal world I’d colourise the 4 photographs I have of perseverance, but I understand that gives mixed results and strange colour interpretations in respect of the colour conversion.

Were using a wide variety of sources, but we want to go that extra mile in respect of reasonable accuracy for detail.

As said Brian Robert’s boat has given us a good platform to go on.

It would be nice to see a few photos.

I was considering contact Chatham docks history page on the net for any info or extra photographs.

Cheers Dean

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:45:12 pm »

Good luck and please share your work at some time  :-))
ANDY

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:50:51 am »

When she was renamed Perseverance she was bought by the Admiralty.
She was painted in Admiralty Colours Buff and Black and a spark arestor fitted to the funnel top.
"Dodes" in here might have more information as he was a skipper in Chatham.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:44:30 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes we’ve created the spark arrestor and gone with buff superstructure and black hull, we’ll paint the bottom half red oxide as per normal, but not sure on the white waterline strip as most modellers put on their boats.

I’m driving my dad mad (he’s the modeller) with my attention to detail, there’s a collection of stove pipes rising from the lower part of the lower deck were trying to replicate.

Input is greatly appreciated

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 08:05:43 pm »

Are these of interest.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 08:10:49 pm »

I think the first picture is when she was a early C.D. tug pre P.A.S., have uploaded a pic of the Prompt a colour pic at Pompey but with the P.A.S. Chatham colours.

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 10:52:57 pm »

Thanks Dodes for your PM and replying on here.

The buff we have chosen is closer to Brian Roberts colour on his, the official RN buff is more of a creamy yellow by the looks of it.

I’m glad I joined the forum now, as I’ve gleaned really good information so far!  Thanks again for everyone’s replies.

I’ll get some photos up when I’ve figured out how to resize then!

Thanks again

Dean

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 03:00:34 pm »

Only happy to been of some limited help to you. When I was on the St Margaret's, we had to paint her funnel quite regular as the heat from the boiler exhausts used to make the buff go almost a light brown colour. Used to stand on the bridge wing when on watch on a nice day and then you see a speck in the corner of your eye floating down and then it was too late, you would down on your wight shirt and see a small black spot blossom into a big yellow patch, you would swear, because it meant another new shirt to acquire. Also collie flower was always served with cheese source with black pepper to hide the soot stains .

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 06:18:35 pm »

Dodes,

You obviously have some really interesting stories.

I’m considering contacting Chatham Dock Historic Society, there’s a webpage to contact them on.

Superstructure and extras we can make out have nearly been completed, then were moving on to the hull painting, and painting the inside bulwarks a mid grey, and the deck in and around the deck planking.

I think fellow modellers will appreciate the extra mile we’ve gone to, I like to push the envelope on accuracy, hence why it would be nice to see more photo’s.

Cheers

Dean

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:41:41 pm »

The inside of the bulwarks of Admiralty harbour tugs were always buff as the superstructure. the deck green and the funnel fiddly deck often black. Windlass with all deck fittings black, vents buff and all brass portholes etc polished. Guardrails, handrails, davits and painted portholes on the superstructure white. Fire hose baskets and fire points red, including the axe. The 32 rung ladder was only fitted when the tug was berthed outside the locks for a period of time i.e. as duty tug. She would always as common in those days have a fireman axe and a maul close to the towing hook to knock away or cut the towing hawser in an emergency. Plus a hawser laid rope towing spring rigged to her hook, terminating just forward of her aft capstan so that towing wires could be shackled on, the length of wire dependant on height of tow and length required for space to work in. On the dog class we had 3 different size wires depending on the job, the longest for pulling in the bow of large tankers and a short for pulling off from the shoulder or stern of frigates bodily off the wall. The wires all kept coiled up on the bandstand aft.

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 10:15:26 pm »

Dodes,

Will take all the info on board.

The deck has wood planking, but certain areas are exposed to green paint then? What shade of green would you say?

Dean

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 05:30:48 pm »

Those days olive green none skid.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:58 am »

Here is another old photo of a PAS tug in colour this time at Malta. Colour pics are hard to come by but what there is will give an indication of what they look like, the buff would vary as it was common practice with some crews to pour varnish into the paint tin to increase the gloss effect, remember once on the Oilpress they over did it, the paint dried almost brown, that meant repaint ship!!

marinaru_ro

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »

I'm having a question regarding this last picture, showing the Nible class tug. I thought the deck were wooden, not painted?

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 08:58:12 pm »

Some of the old ships, did not coat the decks with paint have seen some with boiled linseed oil and heard of a Esso tanker using a mixture of old engine oil and diesel. The old Dutch ship I went on in 1969 was being loaded in Tilbury on a one way voyage far east for scrap, her decks were boiled linseed decks and when it rained your feet stuck to it, but its decks were in brilliant condition. Latter I went on an old Cornish owned but taken over by P&O and round her decks were heaps of rust scale which had been swept up out of the way, a 27 crew ship run on 12 men!!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 09:01:11 pm »

I believe the Accord type had wood deck covering over the crews quarters forward, but this class were a sperate class and obviously painted.

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:37 pm »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever found any other photos of Perseverance, other than the limited number on the internet?

It’d be great to see some if anyone has found any or has further info on the boat.

It’d be great to see photos if someone somewhere has colourised them?

Cheers in advance

Dean

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 07:08:54 am »

Hi

I take it you are doing the late Perseverance if you are may be have a look on the Tug Forum may be of some help. [size=78%]http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=6268.msg78451#msg78451[/size],
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:01 pm »

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info, I’ll take a look.

I was hoping to hear from Dodes, as he offered me some extra photo’s, of which I’m very grateful, but not heard anything back, hope I didn’t scare him away asking for contact?

Cheers for the reply’s

Dean

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:31 pm »

Hi mate, I do not have any more on the Perseverance, have quite a few of MoD tugs and private , which I am quite happy to copy over. Need your email address.

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 08:46:34 pm »

Dodes,

Sent a private message with my email enclosed.

Cheers Dean

RallyeSport

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:03 am »

Fred,

Have you built perseverance yourself?

Thanks for putting me in touch it’s Toby, really interesting chap, he has the original drawings on Imara from archive which he has copied and sent through, I think he is recreating Perseverance from the ground up, correcting various Caldercraft/jotika model inaccuracies to represent the real life tug as it was from photographs/plans/drawings - fair play to him.

Unfortunately for us, the Imara tug was complete as I bought it from another model collector, who happened to have a Perseverance model besides when I bought mine, but didn’t want to sell, it was on eBay recently for sale.

My dad, has gone further, with my persistence to try to go one step further than ones we’ve seen so far, like I say it’s difficult to modify a model already completed with alterations, but were doing our best, it’ll never be a true representation, but as I said my dad is the modeller, and I see this as a gift from him for future use, and something to remember what he did for me.  I’ll inherit loads of his boats of his anyway, including Imara’s sister ship - Marie Felling.

I will put photo’s up of ours when complete.

Cheers Dean
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.