Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.A.F.SEAL CLASS  (Read 2117 times)

RHBAKER

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
R.A.F.SEAL CLASS
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:41 pm »

My next project will be the above LRRSC Launch, operated by the R.A.F. as the Marine Branch closed.[/size]The drawings for the vessel are generally adequate, but with one omission. The dimensions for the stern weapons recovery slipway door are not shown.Can anybody help advise what they were or suggest where I might find them?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: R.A.F.SEAL CLASS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:02:35 pm »

Hi RHBAKER

Can I ask which drawings you are using?
I have some pictures of the Seal class, I’ll have a look through them this afternoon to see if can find anything for you.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RHBAKER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:52:32 pm »

Thanks.
I bought the hull from MTBHULLS and Christian supplied the drawings. They seem to be based on the sketches shown in Terry Holthams book on RAF launches.
The information is adequate for most features but the stern slipway is shown from the side view and is little more that a line!
There are various pictures on the web but nothing I am comfortable with using if anything better is available.
Have you ever seen drawings for this class as would like to get hold of another set for comparison.
Thanks again for your reply
Rowen

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 02:28:17 pm »

Hi Rowen

It’s appears that we are in the same boat (excuse the pun!).
I helped Christian with the hull as the only plans we had were of the Bird class but obviously the Seals were 4ft shorter than them. This was the issue we had coming up with the hull and had to make a few educated guesses.
I assume that you have the RAF Marine Craft Directories by Terry and Tony Holtham as these were the drawings I could find of the class.
8122-E70-D-72-E8-4974-8-FC9-F61-DA3113-FE6" border="0 F1-FE21-E0-7-EAF-4-E40-9-D47-4-D672-F20-E3-E3" border="0

The best picture I’m going to use as my reference for the door is this one from the Berwickshipyard website:

image" border="0

Sorry for not much more help, when you said you’d got some drawings I hoped that they were different to ones in the Marine Craft Directories. If I find anything extra I’ll let you know as I’m building Sea Otter from photos I have collected over the years. I have Christian’s hull too so I’ll draw up today what I think the door looks like on the stern and post a picture so you can compare it to the one I posted in this post.
Cheers

Nick
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 02:52:27 pm »

Hi Rowen

Quicker than I thought so this is my door drawn on to my hull...

C8929-E23-1-EE1-412-B-9-EA0-1060778671-FE" border="0

I measured 15mm up from the transom to get the lowest part of the white waterline, the waterline is 5mm thick. Comparing to the picture of Sea Otter being launched and the drawings in Marine Craft Directory Vol1 I have measured 3mm above the waterline which creates the lowest part of the door. I measured the transom beam and halved it to get a vertical centre line. From this centreline I measured 34mm either side to get the width of the door, the height of the door is 42mm. If measured using my dimensions you should have 18.5mm to the deck.
See what you think, it looks about right without accurate drawings from the ship builder themselves.
Nick B

RHBAKER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 03:23:52 pm »

Thanks Nick,
Small world!

Will lay it out on my hull later and advise. It does look about right. Assume we are both using the 35 scale hull, about 41" long?
The Berwick drawing is clearest, but was thrown by the attached SEAL picture. If it is magnified to about as far as my computer will go, it looks as if there are traces of water draining out of the flap sill at around 75m/m total width.
The depth can be measured from the drawing and got that at 40m/m, so really we are quite close!
Glad to be in touch, I am not planning to build seriously until the fall as it is my Canadian winter project.
No doubt will have questions as planning proceeds. Be nice to bounce them off you. Hate to bother Christian, he is so cooperative but has a business to run and answering my questions is a distraction.
Rowen (ex R.A.F -although not Marine Branch and from Yorkshire)
rhbaker25@hotmail.com

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 03:45:57 pm »

Hi Rowen

Yes it’s certainly a small world, small RAF too these days. I’m currently serving on 47 Sqn at Brize Norton, just finished working on Tornado GR4s at Marham on 9 Sqn last month.

Regarding the hull it’s Christian’s 1/35 scale one, the measurements are always different due the thickness of the drawn lines, I always go to the smaller dimension because it’s easier then to open up to the larger size than making it smaller.

If I find anything more helpful I’ll share it with you.
It’s certainly an interesting project to work on as it’s very different to the more famous launches.
Nick B

RHBAKER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:46:39 pm »

https://youtu.be/-C_ygebIONw

Nick, one of my friends sent me this U Tube link. Some details you might not have seen elsewhere.
How is your Seal coming along? Have put the powertrain in mine and had a trial run. All well although some minor adjustments are needed. It is still a bare hull, have decided wherever possible to try my models without a deck or details so if anything is wrong can gain access to fix it easily.
Had a job trying to find your details as had forgotten how we communicated earlier.
If you would rather direct my E Mail is: [email removed Admin]    :-))
PM:  RHBAKER

Rowen

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:55 pm »

Hi Rowen

Sorry for the lack of replies recently, I too thought we had spoke via email or the PM system but alas I couldn’t find anything either. I got your email address before the admin removed it- we don’t advertise our email addresses just in case some unscrupulous people see it.
As an update I’ve managed to collect most of the running gear (x2 brushless outrunners 990kV, two MTronik G2 ESCs, two 9 inch long prop shafts, two 35mm dia bronze props from Prop Shop, and two 2S Lipos). I had a ballast at Wicksteed a few weeks back and discovered that I don’t have much weight to play with! The GRP hull actually weighs approx 1.2kg and I’ve worked it out that the overall weight of the model should be approximately 3.75kg. So the superstructure will have to be made from thinner plasticard than I had anticipated.

Thanks for the YouTube video, very helpful for seeing the detail around the superstructure.

Nick B

RHBAKER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:10:31 pm »

Hi Nick, looks just like mine!
I am using 2 x 550 brushed motors, 2 x 6" or so home made prop shafts with 2 x 35mm 4 blade brass screws from Cornwall Model boats. She is powered by 2 x 3S 2200mAh batteries.
The performance is adequate, but not sparking. Have toyed with brushless motors but prefer the simplicity of brushed. Might revisit this eventually.
Have not weighed the vessel yet, but my ballast experiences are like yours. Had 4 lbs of ballast, 2 in front of powertrain and two at rear. Think this should be halved and might even find that all is required is trim weight.
Hoping to do another trail shortly, will advise outcome.
Rowen

RHBAKER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 02:09:13 am »

Nick,
Should have added, also using 2 x Quickrun ECSs.
You have finally stirred me up!
The model, without ballast weights 6 lbs. Attached are two pictures showing the internal layout and the hull floating with 4 lbs of ballast. It shows 10 lbs is about the maximum and ideally, should be less. The ballast weight are forward of the battery tray and to the rear of the engine mounts
If you have my E mail, please drop me a line so can record your coordinates
Rowen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 21 queries.