Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello - My 2 boats.  (Read 11190 times)

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello - My 2 boats.
« on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:25 am »

Don't really know if this is the forum for me but not had much look anywhere else  {:-{

So I started probably 15 years ago with he interceptor 650...

Somehow thought the next step would be the Graupner Azimut Atlantic challenger... that was a bit of a shock the day it turned up... first boat I ever built whilst still finishing off school.

Fast forward about 12 years and I still have my challenger, albeit got a bit excited with a brushless setup (brings me onto boat number 2..) a few years ago and burned out the belt drive anyway went back into storage...

Boat number 2 in the conquest of speed is a HPR 115... I partially built it but then got sidetracked and never really finished It off. for those who aren't aware of what a HPR is, it's a Swiss built carbon catamaran... almost finished it off did a trial run which was somewhat disappointing

Fast forward again and I'm a navigation officer currently working on the largest cruise vessel in the world... anyway I thought I'd finally finish off / get them both running again so if theres any interest I could document it on here?

The Atlantic challenger, as I can't source suitable belt drives anywhere I will be converting to direct drive with some large capacity Lipo's for a longer run time, low KV motors and probably 5-6s.

The HPR, I plan to have her setup 80-90mph on 6s with the possibility of maybe one day (when my rotation allows) go to the UK Saw competition... This year ill be back sailing about the Caribbean.

Anyway, some pics

New Lipo charger, Futuba radio arrived today and I [size=78%] have a a large order on the way from Germany for the HPR, Lehner 2250/7's, SLS Lipo's and some other hardware, I had planned to run NEU 1521 motors but they aren't comparable with my ESC... this might of been the reason the boat never really ran right and I kind of shelved the idea. (found this out many years later) [/size]

[size=78%]Edit - wow it's a bit of a effort to [/size]prove[size=78%] im not a spammer, is this [/size]every time[size=78%] you post? [/size]

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hello - My 2 boats.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 12:48:27 am »

Hey likeomg,

Welcome to the Mayhem!

Your  Atlantic challenger is in very good 'nick!'   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:16:26 am »

Welcome very nice looking boats  :-)) :-)) 

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:24:17 am »

Awesome looking boats  :-))  You might want to hook up with Jim Pinner. He is in the early stages of restoring his fathers scratch built Challenger
I look forwards to seeing more from you

Sorry about the security log in hassle. I think its about the first 10 posts from memory

See https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62759.0.html
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 04:39:20 pm »

Hi likeomg,

I will be interested to follow how your brushless conversion goes.

I have to convert this one to brushless later this year so I may be able to learn a thing or two from your experience...

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 06:57:43 pm »

So for now, I'm going to put down a layer of fibreglass to strengthen where the motors will go... the boat isn't the thickest fibreglass layup..

I was kinda against drilling holes for water-cooling and thought about just making my own internal system with a 1 litre nitro fuel tank... there’s plenty of space and its a big hull Initially when I converted it I didn't run any cooling but this was geared down...

I still might chance it, especially the higher KV 6s route....

I'm probably going to get the HPR twin cat running first but kind of stumped until my packages arrive...

C-3PO looks a very nice build, I never got around to. fabricating windscreen wipers... Did you make them? I passed by my only remaining local model shop today and was disappointed by the stock... the other local where I got the boat initially from closed down about 2 years ago.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 07:57:16 am »

If you need belts I have them but you'll keep chewing them up. Direct drive is the way to go. Mine ran on 4s and 1100kv inrunners, forced induction watercooling. It was a hoot! Imo there's no need for pumped cooling systems or anything that adds more complexity when forced induction is so effrcteff

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:30:10 pm »

So, I've ordered some engine mounts for the challenger I'm going to run 4x couplers with probably 2" of 4.75mm Flexi

and also some rear supports for the HPR cat, my Lehner 2250/7's turned up yesterday morning... don't fancy them breaking loose in a 100mph roll over.

Siliconed in the battery sleds, 

Batteries, and some fixings should arrive Tuesday, then its just a waiting game for the final order from Hydromarine in Germany,

Bit concerned about countersinking the hatch... don't want the gel coat to chip...

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 01:51:39 am »

Made a little progress...

Since this thing will be setup for sport running in the 80 mph range and if I decide to go the rivnut method with 6x M4's... which means drilling the hatch,

My SLS 6s Lipo also turned up with my 6mm bullet's so got that all soldered up inc the Lehner's.

I also started thinking about the paint job... Nothing really tickled my fancy apart from the aquamania boat so did this myself in photoshop, the challenger graphics are for sale online, mine would need a few resized to make it fit better but hopefully this is possible...

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:02:18 am »

What jet drives are in this and could you post a few photos of the set up?
BeautifuBeautiful boat by the way.
badly raised and ill mannered.

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 10:01:45 am »

Hi, Which one? the cat or the mono?

The cat uses drives, the mono 2x Graupner jet drives designed for this hull which im currently modifying to direct drive...

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:30 am »

Sorry the twin drive I've just put twin Kehrer 28's in a hull and fitting brushless motors I'm interested in the servo set up.
badly raised and ill mannered.

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 09:12:57 pm »

No problem... they are both twin's so I guess the Atlantic challenger original?  ok2

ill get some pics together,

I'm gonna start work on the conversion now that the mounts have arrived.... I need to build a 20mm base so the mounts line up...

I've finished the HPR just waiting for the couplers and we are ready for sea trials... 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 09:41:05 pm »

I loved the Challenger boat as a kid. It looks so sleek but oddly quite practical! Do put a video up of her running if you can.

Welcome by the way  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 10:12:39 pm »

I have quite a interesting video in mind... one of my other hobbies is photography, I'm lucky enough to travel for work so have a decent camera array...

Which also includes a drone...

The big one is my second home...

It also does video but im still coming to grips with it, the tracking function is good, might keep up with the Atlantic challenger... doubt it will keep up with the HPR  https://youtu.be/YpIlrbYBy-s - Clicky (before anyone says anything about the speed the drone tops out at 45mph.. that audio is from another video I found on youtube, I can't currently record audio - I dubbed it on )

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 10:42:55 pm »

Well still haven't received my new speed controllers 8 months later...

(don't know if I posted on here one of my AS26-150bl's is damaged and did run but with the boats im running better safe than sorry so will be getting some special build AS26-XXX in the near future)

been busy since getting back from work with a house purchase, and waiting for the new ESC Does anybody know how I'd go about working out custom gearing?

I need gears to fit on 5mm shafts and the lower I can gear the better any thoughts on where to start looking?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 08:05:40 pm »

MFA 5mm Geared fittings for toothed belt drive.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 08:09:09 pm »

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 12:00:12 am »

Perfect, exactly what I need... might be able to get the challenger going again before I'm back at work.

just need to figure out what sizes I need...

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 10:06:13 am »

So i have all that i need (apart from ESC)

i will run the challenger on 2x neu 1521 1Y and 4s direct drive... way too much motor for a small impeller but it's what i have spare and should have long run times if i run 10,000mah packs

i will also run it with a internal water cooling system as the hull is so large and used to have a lead acid batt when built... plan is 1 liter fuel tank with a MHZ cooling pump and icy water. it really shouldn't get hot at all.

The other boat (HPR115) is stll waiting for its ESC's which are due in February, and it's going to one of the fast boys in Germany for some final adjustments... i't will hopefully be 3 min run time and 100mph whilst managing to keep amps and temps within reason, i don't know if it will be props or voltage that will get it there, right now on 6s with my props the 'theoretical' speed is 92mph tops which the batt / motor / esc wont even be breaking a sweat....

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 01:18:56 am »

Quick update

[For the hpr i have a package of props from andy brown to pickup, x457 cut to 52mm, and some ABC 2016 which will be saw props... probably in the 110mph mark.

I also invested in a H&M mono, it was powered by a tp5850 on 10s but decided i needed a 30xx series lehner in my life so went with a 3060...
expectin about the 70-75mph mark

[/size][size=78%][/size][/color]

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 01:43:59 am »

I guess i should rename this "My 3 boats"....

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 07:55:47 am »

Just a quick update, still stuck at sea but purchased a 4th boat to build.

its a 1.5m catamaran, by Kulz named 'the exocet' similar to the hpr150  which is no longer in production...

Plan is 10-12s lipo, lehner 3060 motors and speeds around the 120mph mark.

Drives are From CNC frasservice and rudder is a werner / wd200 which i will cut down.

[/size]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 09:28:34 am »

"Exocet" - that looks appropriate!     :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

likeomg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 09:53:35 am »

Yeah, these hulls are 140mph+ capable but those guys are really pushing the limits,

I'd prefer not to be seeing smoke every other run :) 120 will do me  O0
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.