Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman spray rails  (Read 1454 times)

Mikecotton

• Shipmate
  • The fifth attempt is usually the one !
Huntsman spray rails
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:13:22 pm »

Hi, I’m having a go at the Dave Milbourn Fairey Huntsman 31 as described in Model Boats Jan/Feb 2016.
Just sheathed the hull using Deluxe materials “Easycote” and 0.6 oz glasscloth  -brilliant - and am about to fix the chine rails and spray rails. I realise it is only semi-scale but I’m in a bit of a quandary, as the spray rail pattern on the plan and build pictures varies and neither pattern seems consistent with pictures of full sized boats. Is this a function of scale ? If so which of the two model patterns works best - or does it make any difference at this size ( 24” ) ?
Or am I being "xxxxx" ?
Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman spray rails
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:27:17 pm »

I noticed this when doing the review and checked with Dave Milbourn. Apparently there were several patterns of sprayrails used so you can choose which you prefer. I stopped mine short of the chine rail.
The chine rail is the cruical one for performance so it is important to get that right.
Colin

Mikecotton

• Shipmate
  • The fifth attempt is usually the one !
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:00 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. That’s the option I was leaning towards, the doubt arose because the in pictures of full size Huntsmen, the spray rails seem parallel to the chine rail rather than the keel, but hey ho !
Mike

Manatee

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:56:06 am »

I had similar experience also. I thought it has to do with scale.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 03:07:37 pm »

Looking online at Huntsman photos there seem to be quite a few different sprayrail configurations both in number and in pattern. This might reflect renovations over the years.Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:25:20 pm »

I have an ongoing but very good-natured disagreement about this with Scott Pett, who is renovating a full-size Huntsman 31 and is the archivist for the Fairey Owners Club. For every example he finds of a boat where the spray rails are parallel with the chine I manage to find another where they're parallel with the keel! I guess the moral is to suit yourself. As Colin so rightly says, the critical ones are the chine rails - leave them off and you have a nightmare once she gets into the water.
Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.