Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New comer - Graupner HMS Hood  (Read 1852 times)

fletcher

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New comer - Graupner HMS Hood
« on: May 27, 2019, 10:55:46 pm »

hi all
my name is Anthony and live in Northallerton, North Yorkshire and I've been making models for most of my life and just recently started into radio control ships there's so much to learn about them '

I do have a few I do sail on a Sunday morning my favourite are warships ' I do have a Graupner 1/150 hms hood but when I got it ' it was in a bad way bits missing and broken it's an amazing ship and would love to sail her one day I know they don't make them any more and yes I have tried to find bits but nothing so if there's anyone out there who can help me I would be grateful.
   kind regards Anthony

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New comer - Graupner HMS Hood
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 11:42:01 am »

Lots of parts can be found on Shapeways. For example:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/micro-master?section=HMS+Hood&s=0

If they are not shown in 1:150 scale then you can ask the designers if they can re-size them for you. It can get expensive though.

Regards.
Roger

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 01:34:54 pm »

Can you post some pictures of the model so we can see what it needs?   There's lots of options depending on if it's small fittings or large lumps that need fixing.

fletcher

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 05:18:29 pm »

hi guys
thanks for getting back to me Roger I'll check out that site later thanks for that Graupner models are a odd size ' the main thing that's missing is one of the mean 15in turrets and one is damaged their are a few smaller parts gone just the turrets are the main thing.
  regards Anthony

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 05:21:21 pm »

Why not make the turrets yourself?  Get some plasticard and treat it just like paper and cut out the shapes and join them together with liquid glue.   You can make the barrels out of brass tube, wooden dowl or plastic tubing.   Or carve a block of balsa into shape - lots of options.

fletcher

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 06:29:09 pm »

even though I make models I'm not very good trying to make an item I did try and make a cast of one of the turrets but made a mess of it .
 regards Anthony

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 06:59:02 pm »

As Plastic says, your best bet is to construct a new turret from plasticard sheet using one of the existing ones as a template. You can have more than one go until you get it right. I doubt if you will be able to buy a replacement turret.

Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:21:12 pm »

You can get paper models of battleships - normally 1/200 - so why not get a Hood model and use a photocopier to change the scale - instant pattern for any bits you need.

https://www.halinski.com.pl/index.php?link=2&lang=en

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:09:32 am »

Given the cost of this model new, it must be worth spending a bit to refurbish it.  I would suggest that it might be worth getting a resin moulding kit and take copies of the missing items like the turret  - there are at least 2 of most items onboard Hood to provide a master to make the mould from.  I have had consistent results from the Sylmasta set:

https://www.sylmasta.com/product/sylmasta-casting-kit-01/

fletcher

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 01:20:50 pm »

hi guys
thanks for all your comments must appreciated I did get a resin kit but I was trying to make mold from silicon with was a bloody mess but I will keep trying ' theirs not many of them around so it is worth spending abit on her and will look great in the water
  regards Anthony

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 06:23:59 pm »

If it is any help, I find that having a couple of polythene picnic plates and a small plastic ladle (to measure out the silicone) plus lots of kitchen towel ready to hand is the best way to keep the mess from handling the silicone to a minimum - trying to pour it out of the tub it comes in is always going to cause drips.  The plates are useful for putting the ladle and stirrers on as the silicone (or resin) won't have stuck when it has set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.