Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USCGC EAGLE at Pompey  (Read 1995 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
USCGC EAGLE at Pompey
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:14:52 am »

USCGC EAGLE (Ex Horst Wessel built 1936) is now docked at Portsmouth and will be open to visitors tomorrow , (Saturday)  and Sunday  between noon and 4 PM.

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USCGC EAGLE at Pompey
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:30:06 am »

Yes, I saw that, the Dockyard look as if they have emailed everyone on their mailing list.

However I should think the queues to go aboard will be pretty long.

The RN should be thinking about opening the QE to the public when she gets back from Rosyth so we can see what we have got for our money. Big empty hangar to accommodate a crowd...

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:40:49 am »

Yes, I saw that, the Dockyard look as if they have emailed everyone on their mailing list.

However I should think the queues to go aboard will be pretty long.

The RN should be thinking about opening the QE to the public when she gets back from Rosyth so we can see what we have got for our money. Big empty hangar to accommodate a crowd...

Colin

Just don't think of trying to carry a rucksack on board.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:00:39 am »

Good view of her on the Warrior webcam http://www.hmswarrior.org/webcam

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 12:56:52 pm »

The Warrior webcam operator did a great job of tracking her into the harbour. Great views. I was hoping to see Trump dangling from the yardarm but I suppose you can't have everything.

I did notice a couple of things. Eagle was flying a topsail sized Stars and Stripes from her mizzen and just below it was a very tiny Union Jack courtesy flag. One would think that they might have been a bit more generous but I suppose it reflects their view of the 'special relationship'.

Also I got the distinct impression that the vessel did  not want any assistance. Normally when a 'strange' ship of any significance enters Portsmouth it has assistance from one or two tugs with lines commected but although there were two tugs very close alongside I saw no lines taken. I missed the final part of the berthing as I had to go out but when I left Eagle appeared to be trying to turn down harbour under her own power with maybe a slight nudge from the tug alongside her stern. Of course I would assume that she would have been required to have an Admiralty pilot aboard.

Still, a very pretty little vessel - that's German engineering for you.  %)

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 01:30:14 pm »

Never mind colin, last time I saw her was off start point, steamed round her with the Arrochar in about 1995. Also remember coming into HMNDyd Chatham and yes she would have a Admiralty pilot on board. Suspect the ensign you saw was her harbour one, the French Navy are the same with ensigns you can fit sheets to and sail with, she would carry a large number of national flags and they would all be the same size. See if you can see her seagoing ensign, but at least the Americans have a working sailing vessel that still sails. As to being ex German named after a prostitute, they have only one sailior built in the U.S.A. and that is old ironsides.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:57:53 pm »

Nice photo dodes.

I watched her approach on the webcam and she was flying the big ensign then She actually motored past Portsmouth entrance beyond the Spitbank fort before turning 180 degrees and back to the main entrance channel. On Saturday the wind was strong so maybe why she revereted to a slightly smaller ensign but the big one was back again yesterday. She is flying the smaller one again today!

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »

Hi Colin, A ship especially warships fly large ensigns in harbour, but national flags they carry for visiting other countries are usually the size of a signal flag our ships put up small national flags in comparison to ones own ensign, just the way it is. Though there are rules and political implications etc from where you fly and how national ensigns in comparison to ones own.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 01:42:22 pm »

Hi Colin how this for a pic of her, against the sun.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 02:11:30 pm »

Great photo Dodes, thanks for posting.Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.