Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Made Plank Vice  (Read 2686 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Home Made Plank Vice
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:52:25 pm »

I've been meaning to post this for a while but have never got around to it  {-)   I made a really simple planking vice which I reckon costs less than £5 and really makes plank tapering a doddle.  The commercially available one's I think are over priced and a little bit short too.

This one's made of 2 aluminium angles which are 14" long but you could make them any length you like.  The top bolts clamp the two halves together and the lower short bolts act as spacers so that the clamp pulls square onto the plank.  I used angle as you can run your fingers along it whilst holding a plane and it keeps it all nice and square.  I'm getting really nice results using this so I thought that I would share.  I know that there's many ways to make these with many different materials but this is just my take on a very useful tool.

I took about an hour to make but thats because I rounded off the corners so its a 30 minute job if you don't do that.

Happy building Mayhemer's - Mark  :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Home Made Plank Vice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 06:23:00 pm »

Ingenious and simple. Thanks for posting.  :-))
Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 09:05:32 pm »

That is cracking. A great way to get the proper edge-set on carvel planks, with minimal risk to your fingers.

I shall steal the idea immediately!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »

Ta lads it does work nicely and it definitely saves fingers and makes it much easier to plane/sand/cut down to a drawn line.  I used to use a knife to cut a line on a plank but found the results a bit hit and miss but discovered that a plane takes it to exactly where you drew.  But planing needs the planks to be held square which caused me problems doing this flat on my work bench.  I looked at the ones I could buy and thought that they looked a bit expensive for what they were and the wooden ones seemed a bit too vulnerable.  So stealing everyone else's ideas and adding them together I made this.  I prefer planing to sanding now as I've kind of learnt how to do it and it makes so much less mess and dust than sanding.  I'm sure that it could be improved - I've thought about silver soldering some brass extensions onto the bolts so that I can tighten them by hand rather than using an allen tool.  I'll see how it goes

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »

I like the plane too  :-))  shi.......neeeeee  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 09:59:22 pm »

I like the plane too  :-))  shi.......neeeeee  :-)

Hi Andy  :-))   You'd like one of them.  Its Lie Neilson No.101 which is supplied surgically sharp.  My little Veritas block plane struggles to remove a lot of material so I use this to get the bulk off and then use the little Veritas plane to finish.  I would like to say that I didn't buy it it.  My wife completely surprised me with it for no reason - she just got it for me and its probably one of the nicest tools I have.  You don't need one for this job though its just me being flash  {-)   I can only apologise  :embarrassed:

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 10:01:37 pm »

It matches the quality of your work  :-))  What a wife !

https://youtu.be/4pV51pb6X18
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 10:05:10 pm »

Mate she's very special and I know just how lucky I am  :-))   Mind you she complains about the amount of metal swarf getting into the carpet in my workshop/our spare room/ the cats room......I can live with that  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.