Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Micro Magics  (Read 2111 times)

Biggles

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Graupner Micro Magics
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:32:10 pm »

Hi All
I'm thinking of getting a Micro Magic as our pond water level has dropped so I can't sail my Victoria, a few members have bought Micro Magics and they sail very well. Does anyone know the difference between the 'Carbon' and 'Racing' versions. I understand the carbon version is difficult to assemble due to the paint inside the hull and deck components.
Any help greatfully received. Thank you!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Graupner Micro Magics
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:10 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:41:50 pm »

I have built both and they sail very well?  However the carbon version is not carbon but a clear plastic hull with carbon effect paper effect stuck to the inside hence the problem in gluing it together especially the keel box as if you are to rough it can tear the paper away and you can see the glue lines.

Graham

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:10 am »

Hi All
I'm thinking of getting a Micro Magic as our pond water level has dropped so I can't sail my Victoria, a few members have bought Micro Magics and they sail very well. Does anyone know the difference between the 'Carbon' and 'Racing' versions. I understand the carbon version is difficult to assemble due to the paint inside the hull and deck components.
Any help greatfully received. Thank you!
Hi, I see that Martin referenced my Carbon Micro Magic above, so I thought that I'd chip in my two pennyworth.  :-)   I bought the Micro Magic for much the same reason as you, I also sail IOM, and a variety of vintage pond yachts but the local club water at Ilfracombe is more suited to shallower keels so I bought the Carbon Micro Magic.

I have to say that it's a great yacht to sail and the components are made to a very high standard giving it excellent sailing characteristics. I bought the Carbon version and love it. As you don't paint the hull, you just need to take care with gluing to preserve the outside finish but I found that it went together very easily indeed and as you can see, doesn't look at all bad as a completed boat!

The instructions are very comprehensive too so you'll have no bother and there's plenty of info on line, or here if you need it. The inside is built around the keel box and I like many, left out the jib trim servo as not being needed as the boat is easily set up to sail well without.
If you like the look of the Carbon I'd say go for it. I do and I'm happy with it's sailing characteristics whether cruising or sailing...  :-)) .

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Biggles

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 12:59:06 pm »

Great looking Micro Magic, I will be ordering one next week!
Thank you for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.