Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle Steamer Waverley - no more?  (Read 5487 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Paddle Steamer Waverley - no more?
« on: May 12, 2019, 04:22:16 pm »

Sad news - Waverley has been withdrawn from service.  Her boilers needed a lot of work, and it has now been decided they need complete replacement.  The charity that runs her has launched an appeal - more here. I hope they generate enough funding, but I can't help feeling that new boilers for her will be a pretty astronomic sum.  Having seen her on several occasions along the south coast, I can only say she lifted the heart wherever she went.
Plenty of clips on Youtube, including my own little contribution.
Dig deep steam fans!
Greg

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paddle Steamer Waverley - no more?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:27:03 pm »

Martin - this might be more at home in Full Scale Ships or perhaps Steam - not sure where best to put it.
Greg

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:46:20 pm »

That's really not great news, hopefully they can save her as I've been itching to get a ride along the South Coast on Waverley for years but never been able to make the diary match up.

Fingers crossed they can find the required funds in time.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:03 pm »

She won't be sailing at all this year..

Colin

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:39 pm »

Not the first time she has had her boilers replaced. One of the originals at Irvine maritime museum. Double ended Scotch boiler.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 11:36:55 pm »

Jim...  %)

Here is another image of the same DE Boiler from Waverley ...assumed as removed in 2011?.....naturally after 8 years exposure to the elements  it looks a little worse for wear

Could you please confirm which image by date is actually what?........your version does not look good   <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 12:03:20 am »

The existing boilers were fitted in 2000.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:51 am »

Yes Colin year 2000....following text from the Museum WEB page ............sorry about the text alignment.....bit this is how it copied

This is the original double-ended Scotch boiler from PS Waverley.  It was manufactured by Rankin and Blackmore of Greenock and installed in the vessel when it was built in 1947.  It is now a rare example of a boiler of this type and size, and its impressive dimensions give a good indication of the size of the vessel’s engine room and machinery spaces.      This boiler produced steam which powered Waverley’s triple expansion engine.  The Scotch boiler was almost universally used during the ‘golden age’ of steam propulsion, and is another innovation developed on the Clyde by James Howden.  It was designed to produce steam at relatively high pressures via a series of flues and firetubes.  The three circular plates at the front provide access to the furnaces, where the fuel was burned.  This boiler is double-ended, meaning that it has furnaces at both the front and back, which meet in the combustion chamber in the middle.  Double-ended boilers reduced the number of single boilers fitted to certain ships, but were longer and more difficult to install.  The casings on either end took the waste gases to the vessel’s two funnels.      Waverley was built by A &amp; J Inglis for the London and North Eastern Railway.  She was the last sea-going paddle steamer to be built, and is a real survivor as she is still in operation today.  This boiler was removed in 1981, having been converted from coal to oil burning in the winter of 1956-57.  She was fitted with a new Babcock Steambloc boiler, which itself was replaced in 2000.  In 2003 a major restoration project was completed, with Waverley returning to her original 1940s style.  She now sails around Britain offering regular trips on the Clyde, the Thames, the South Coast of England and the Bristol Channel, with calls at other ports and piers throughout the country.      On loan from National Museums Scotland
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:02 am »

Is 18 years a good life for a marine boiler? It sounds very short compared to some locomotive boilers.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:18:35 am »

For a locomotive, 10 years between major inspections involving removal and stripping.  To get the locomotive in service, when the boiler came off, it would usually be replaced with one that had recently been serviced.  There was a lot of infrastructure due to steam locomotives being very common.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cppzj9xqZ0  gives an idea of what went on on a regular basis.  Although some steam locos could appear to have a long life, most were like old brooms - "Had this for donkeys years, only three new heads and two fresh handles"
Marine and rail boilers operate in different conditions and have to be built to work in them - 18-19 years seems fairly predictable as are the problems you get when the mass of infrastructure isn't there any more.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:34:03 am »

Given what Malcolm says above, did the organisation running her not then have a plan for replacing the boiler or undertaking more maintenance, if it's a known service item it seems strange it'd come as such a surprise.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:25:20 am »

I doubt a charity has the luxury of keeping a big pot of money handy to do complete boiler replacement.  I imagine they do regular maintenance and hope that that will keep things in good shape.  But like most projects keeping old vehicles/ships/aircraft running, money is always in short supply and there will come a time when old age catches up - something we all know to our cost!  {:-{
Greg

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 03:03:22 pm »

I doubt a charity has the luxury of keeping a big pot of money handy to do complete boiler replacement.  I imagine they do regular maintenance and hope that that will keep things in good shape.  But like most projects keeping old vehicles/ships/aircraft running, money is always in short supply and there will come a time when old age catches up - something we all know to our cost!  {:-{
Greg
Just look at the queue of now skint millionaires in the wake of the Flying Scotsman.  When they were the only game in town, although hideously expensive to maintain, they were kept going because there was a huge amount of backup available.  Now that railways are internal combustion or electric, there is virtually no workshop infrastructure or skill base left.  Same with steam ships.  Instead of being part of a mass produced environment, they are now bespoke craftsman items.  A workhorse has become an exotic pet.

RST

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 03:26:26 pm »

Flying Scotsman is on her 5th boiler or summit now? "Triggers Brush" I guess.  Must be difficult keeping these things going these days. I have respect for all the organisations still managing it.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:12:16 pm »

Not too long ago MV Balmoral would support Waverley and could be called on to help out. Balmoral, now under new ownership, is herself awaiting funding for repairs. The vessel didn't sail in 2018 and isn't planned to sail in 2019.

http://www.whitefunnel.co.uk/t-update.aspx

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 07:21:21 pm »

I just hope that they are doing whatever is necessary to keep their permits(?) up to date as if they don't do so I understand that they will lose their legacy rights & have to conform to all the latest regulations which they will never achieve.
I am still surprised that a marine boiler lasts only 19 years. I know that steam railway engines, when in service, were kept continually in steam as the cooling & warming phase cause so many of the problems but I am not aware that even in preservation railway locomotive boilers are scrap at 19 years old even when they need repairs.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:42 pm »

I know that steam railway engines, when in service, were kept continually in steam as the cooling & warming phase cause so many of the problems but I am not aware that even in preservation railway locomotive boilers are scrap at 19 years old even when they need repairs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cppzj9xqZ0  good viewing, informative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.