Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Special Announcement for Mayhem at Wicksteed 2019!  (Read 3662 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Special Announcement for Mayhem at Wicksteed 2019!
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:42:37 pm »

It's finally time to reveal a bit of info we've been holding on to for quite some time now...

IC boats will return to Wicksteed this year!

It's been 9 years since the last time an IC demo was run at Mayhem, so this year shall be a bit of an interesting one. These demos will be run by myself and a couple of others from Stevenage Model Boat Club and will be around 20 minutes, we will announce them with plenty of warning so the lake can be cleared in time. These have always made for a spectacle in the past, so it's great to be invited back to do it again.

Please do note these are demos, will be at slow (for us) speeds and the boats that we are planning to run in these have already been checked over by myself. Sorry, but we can't let any other boats other than these on the lake, I want to keep this as health and safety friendly as possible.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Special Announcement for Mayhem at Wicksteed 2019!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:22:23 pm »

Thanks Andy  :-)) 
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:12:42 am »

Is Wicksteed Park & WPMBC now IC friendly?

AndyN - How many of these demos will run each day on the Model Boat Mayhem weekend?

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:21:20 am »

Oh dear !    I hope you will give the rest of us due warning to allow us to get all other boats out of the water to avoid being swamped  {:-{

Was it last year, or the year before, when two giant jet powered RNLI lifeboats ran together that caused such a wash that it caused an instant evacuation of all other vessels. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 10:22:59 am »

Always have been, just not on normal club days. It's always been in the Mayhem risk assessment, it's just that there's been noone to run proper demos in the last few years.

It'll be one or two demos a day, for about 20 minutes. As I said in the first post, plenty of warning will be given so the lake can be cleared :-))

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:39:06 am »

So here's the Elephant in the room

I go to Mayhem weekend when I can for as long as I can to sail my boats - to be told - GET off the lake for 20 minutes (which by the time everybody is off and your ready to start your demo is more likely 30-40 minutes for the whole event) doesn't sit well - possibly repeated twice...if this eats into the time I have to sail my boats - well as I said - it doesn't sit well

Appreciate model boating is a broad topic and this ( IC Demo) will interest some and definatley not an interest others but in reality after a couple of minutes of a boat whizzing up and down I would be bored as an onlooker -

Maybe a revision of the length of time these demo's run for may be an option

There you go - An Elephant in the Room
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 11:50:58 am »

Just to confirm from me as WPMBC Liaison

For this event (Mayhem) we are allowed to use I/C powered boats as like Andy says it’s covered by the Risk Assessment. Only the members in Andy’s team are going to be running the boats and are inspected by Andy before each demo. There will be plenty of warning time to remove boats from the lake before the demo. These demos will only last 20 minutes maximum so everyone can go back to using the lake asap.

As a club (WPMBC) we don’t use I/c normally as the lake is not large enough for the racing boats to be operated at full speed. Hence why the I/C boats being used by Andy and his team will be going around the lake at much reduced speeds to show the different types of I/C boat.

Please do enjoy this as the Mayhem is a multi discipline group and we are only sharing the other types of model boats that are available. After all we have yachts, scale, steam, straight-runners, submarines too and to miss out on one of the types would be a shame.

As said before, please enjoy and relax, Andy will not accept any unsafe boat to be operated on the lake and plenty of warning to remove models from the lake will be given.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 12:02:18 pm »

Nick,

The difference is yachts, scale, steam, straight-runners, submarines co-exist on the water.

So what is the demo actually demonstrating? - fast boats going slow - a three legged horse, Formula 1 in a 30mph zone  - "as the lake is not large enough for the racing boats to be operated at full speed"

C-3PO

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 12:07:52 pm »

If Bob K and Nick are running their big warships then asking them to remove them for 20+ minutes may not be a practical option. Perhaps it would be best to hold the IC demo at the beginning or end of the main sailing session.

Also, as the Saturday will be busy with other demos, Faireys and Club 500s etc and for most people the sailing day will be around 10am to 5pm I would have felt that one IC session within that period would be enough. Other sessions could be run late Saturday or on Sunday when there will be fewer people wanting to run their boats.
Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »

Hi C3PO

What Andy and his team want to show are the I/c powered boats on the water going around together much like a group of warships or fishing boats,etc- no racing or high speed stuff. They are being restricted to approx 10-15mph to show that there are different types of power available other than electric, sail or steam. The rest of the time they won’t be on the lake at all so 20 minutes isn’t too much to ask for per day so they can have a sail.
As most model boaters know that I/C boats have a stigma attached to them so we mitigated any safety issue by asking other sailors to remove the boats from the lake so the I/c boats can sail around for their own safety and other model sailors protection to avoid potential collisions. The I/c boats won’t be allowed on the lake if they do not meet modern I/c regulations.
I hope this helps, the Mayhem Risk Assessment covers this effectively and Andy and his team have agreed to the restrictions. When I/c boats were last used at Mayhem several years ago we didn’t have any issues or any incidents on the lake.

I agree with Colin that timings will need be agreed on with Andy and his team to reduce the amount of disturbance with other model boaters. I will contact the Mayhem team, WPMBC committee, and AndyN to agree on the timing of the demo.

I must point out that Wicksteed Park MBC do not use I/c boats and will not accept their use outside of this event. Wicksteed Park has accepted the Risk Assessment and are happy will the set up.

If you have any concerns please contact me and I’ll try my best to sort it out.

Many thanks

Nick
Nick B

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 12:31:21 pm »

Just to add a little to that for the sake of Bob and the likes running very large boats, behind the jetty would be a perfect place for them to be kept safe during the runs. I will speak to them on the day to arrange this

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 02:36:08 pm »

Sounds fair enough. A bit of give and take and everyone should be happy.
Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 02:40:29 pm »

Mayhem covers the broad spectrum of all model boating so all modes should be shown. Not heard anyone complain of Club 500 racing spoiling their
Steam puffer sailing or straight running dentures needing a bit of space. Come on guys Mayhem is
all things boat and bootiful. Let's have a great weekend as always.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 04:06:27 pm »

ps dont forget the Springer wars......if anyone is interested! we take a small corner up the top if the lake and try yo sink each other!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 07:00:58 pm »

It is not beyond the wit of man to organise a quick off and on the water between events. The Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team have been doing it 'in show' for years. As long as everyone is paying proper attention to the times for the demos, where is the problem.
As said previously, the more the merrier, good luck with the event :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

davidsg1a

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 09:24:28 pm »

Hello guys

Gutted that we can’t make it this year, would of been great to see the IC boats running, always good to see a display of different types of boats going, especially when IC boats are not common anymore.

David

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:22 pm »

hi David, wait for after the show this year as so.ething new will hopefully be happening for 2020!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:47 pm »

It’s going to be good... I’ve been briefed! ;)  If that’s what Pete has told me is the one he is referring to! :-))
Nick B

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.