Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amera -cheap vac formed kits  (Read 1808 times)

RST

Amera -cheap vac formed kits
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:43:28 pm »

Hi,

I've mentioned Amera mouldings before.  They offer some small "semi-kits" based around polystyrene vac formings.  They're not scale kits, but they are CHEAP CHEAP so you use your own imagination.  I thought this might give some inspriration as I think they're great bang for the buck for something small.

I first tried the trawler mouldings, then recently I got a second set and also asked for a spare hull.  I just realised photos of the trawler are on my old Laptop at home.  The pics show a workboat I invented from the spare hull.  I still have the spare mouldings for the trawler to fiddle with at some point.

If I'm being honest I think the workboat came out better!  It's only 95% finished at the moment though.

I'm contracting in France, near Versailles so the part built parts flew out with me packed in a plastic box in hold luggage last October and I've built it up on the apartment table out here.  Only thing is it's not been properly tested yet.  Have no bath and shower tray is only 1" deep, so it's been bobbing about in the plastic box full of water to test.  I need a slightly bigger box to transport to Saint Quentin where I work as there's an accessible pond there.

Product:  Hull from W102 shelter deck trawler, http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=w

Dims:  340mm long, 110mm wide.  I made it something like 1:20-1:24 scale.

Fittings either home made or from spares.

Power: 25mm brass prop from Cornwall Model Boats.  MFA 6-15v 385motor, 2x3.6V battery packs soldered up from from Vapex 2,900mA AA batteries.  9g micro servo, Mtronics mini 10A ESC.  Volante 2.4GHz receiver.

...Just thought it would show what could be done from small cheap mouldings and basic tools.  I don't have a drill or proper saw, just craft knives, skrawker, jewlers files, pin vice with very small (broken) drills, reamer, some cheap and nasty mini pliers and cutters, small metal rulers and a cheap and nasty 30W soldering iron from Action for EUR6.00 including awful solder!  Funny thing is though Cornwall Model Boats and lots of others can deliver quicker to me in France than they usually do at home in Inverness -and for not much more postage!

Cheers,

Rich

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amera -cheap vac formed kits
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:53:49 am »

Nice model.   :-))
It is very easy to believe that you need a workshop filled with lots of tools to achieve anything but this proves that you don't if you have talent.

RST

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:48:59 pm »

Thanks.  I want to show new folk to have a go.  With these small hulls you won't loose much if you do mess up, and they take up little storage space if you don't.

Is anyone having any luck contacting component shop by E-Mail though?  I asked them for some small custom AA battery packs for this and some sound units, but never heard anything back?

I fancy an MRC diesel sound unit for this.  The Action PCB I have is just a bit big and heavy to fit.

...I must get on and finish this though!

Rich

Amera Mouldings

• Shipmate
  • Andrew from www.amera.co.uk
    • Amera Plastic Mouldings
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:07:28 pm »

Rich, sorry to leave a reply so long, we’ve just joined, thanks for comments re our model range, always happy to take feedback, give advice and welcome suggestions
Www.amera.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.