Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: deisel engine sound simulators  (Read 10055 times)

david.harrison

Re: deisel engine sound simulators
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 04:09:21 pm »

First of all to DickyD, not sour grapes - I'm just suggesting that you Brits open your eyes to other possibilities - you do have a tendency to latch onto just one thing and then have blinders on to anything else. RCMW are not the only guys on the planet, and to be honest I fell of my chair laughing when I first saw their sound module with a huge fan on it - they have just got to be kidding!! There are MUCH better solutions than using a wretched fan - like using a more efficient amplifier that doesn't generate the heat in the first place. Think outside the box guys - RCMW included!!

Now to reply to Bluebird. Actually, the total storage time is now more like 12 minutes. But the default behaviour of the sound module is to loop when it reaches the end of the sound clip from the start of the sound cip, so it will play indefinitely until the sound clip is switched off. Further, the loop point at which it starts to play from again does not have to be the start, it can be any point into the sound clip. For example, an engine sound with a startup sequence followed by an idle sound is all one sound clip and once its end is reached, it can be configured to play just the idle part, not the startup as well.

Any sound can be configured to either play once, or to loop, and either latched or momentary mode. Latched mode means you trigger it once and it stays on until triggered again, when it switches off -great for long sounds when you don't want to hold the switch all that time. Momentary means on only while the switch is activated - good for short sounds like horns and gunfire.

The minimum supply voltage is 10V so it won't work on less than a 12V battery unless you want to put in a second battery, which is always a good idea anyway for any sound system. And it will also work on a 24V battery. Note : Power is proportional to the square of voltage, so if you double the voltage to 24V, you can get 4 times as much power - 40Watts output!!.

The SFX4-2 can only play one sound at a time so one sound has to be switched off before another can be played. The SFX5.3 can play any two sounds at a time, and they can be connected together like a master/slave to play more sound simultaneously.

Hope this clarifies things.
Regards,
David

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:48 pm »

The minimum supply voltage is 10V so it won't work on less than a 12V battery unless you want to put in a second battery, which is always a good idea anyway for any sound system. And it will also work on a 24V battery. Note : Power is proportional to the square of voltage, so if you double the voltage to 24V, you can get 4 times as much power - 40Watts output!!.

Regards,
David

Great, then its all a bit elementary for me as none of my nine boats run on 12volts so it looks as if I will have to go to the man who has done his homework at RCMW when figuring out which voltage to work on to suit most people, and to keep it as simple as possible.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32:18 pm »

thank you Modelsolutions for your reply.   So, if I have got this right -

the SFX5.3 module - it's minimum real voltage is 12 volts - on its own supply - not from the motor supply battery - and its multiple sound by adding a slave unit - only suitable for super-tankers.

the only one that would be of any real use to the majority of us would be the SFX4.2 module which can run on 6-12 volts but, its only disadvantage is - you can only play one sound at a time....

so....if you have the engine sound module running - to blow your horn lads and lasses you have to turn your engine sound off  :-\  mmmmmm if you want my personal opinion; you may be struggling for a market for these.

Elementary my dear Watson and be careful Dicky we will have our friend Barry joining in with a circuit diagram for a DC inverter  :D :o to drive these units.

{-) {-) {-)

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 05:36:23 pm »

t
Elementary my dear Watson and be careful Dicky we will have our friend Barry joining in with a circuit diagram for a DC inverter  :D :o to drive these units.

{-) {-) {-)

aye
john
bluebird
Hes been busy doing diagrams on the  "Re: My boat wont go straight"   post John  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

david.harrison

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:48 pm »

OK guys, let's cut the crap and criticisms and get down to real facts here. Model boaters in the 6v and 7.2V categories aren't the only customers in the world for R/C sound systems. And do not assume that all boaters are the same as yourselves. I feel that a certain number of you guys have a very narrow outlook and are not considering the global marketplace, only your own very limited view of things.

And I do not feel you have any basis for implying that I have not done my homework whereas RCMW has. So be sure of your facts before you start criticizing me please. The SFX5.3 module plays multiple sounds by itself and does not require a slave unit to do so, but one can be used if desired.

My marketplace is global and includes not only model boaters, but model aircraft and model tanks as well. I do have several years of experience designing these things and I know from my own practical experience with model boats and putting sound systems in them that you do need a LOT of audio power to make any sound heard when the boat is out in the pond some 30-40ft away from you. It might sound great on the bench and near the shore, but sound pressure level decreases as the square of the distance from the source so as soon as the boat starts moving away, the sound level drops off dramatically.  It is because of this that my overriding concern was to provide sufficient output power at 12volts and above as my target market groups uses 12-24V and even higher.

Our latest sound module is the result of over three years of development work of going through various versions to come up with our current design. It was well researched and well engineered, not hurriedly put together in a few months to desperately to fill JJC's shoes like another product that I could mention.

So if you're not in my target market group then do not lambast me for a poorly designed product. If you haven'y heard one of our products, then do not criticize it as you have no facts to go on.

Quite frankly the RCMW's and the RAMRC's of the world are not our competitors anyway. Moderated We have to worry about competing with much more sophisticated and more capable sound systems by the likes of Thomas Benedini. And before you complain about the price of our units, the Benedini unts are almost twice our price.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 08:30:54 pm »

Let's ease off a bit here guys. Model Solutions has explained his products and the market he is aiming at. If that doesn't suit your requirements it doesn't mean that his products are unsuitable, only that you may need to look at alternatives to match the set up in your own models. It's all horses for courses but let's keep it polite please.

Colin

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 09:08:21 pm »

Regards,
David

Great, then its all a bit elementary for me as none of my nine boats run on 12volts so it looks as if I will have to go to the man who has done his homework at RCMW when figuring out which voltage to work on to suit most people, and to keep it as simple as possible.

I think the sensible thing to do may be to fit a small 12v battery for the sound unit.

I am investigating sound modules from the usual suspects and am looking for sound options for a Destroyer (normally do subs with no need for sound) and need some advice from those familiar with RCMW. I just need 3 sounds, main desiel, helicopter and main gun. Does this mean I need the £45 main unit and 2 x £32 secondary sound units (£109  ???)or can I have one custom made for the £45. Also what is the current draw on these units, those heatsinks look mighty meaty.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:27 pm »

OK, that's enough. Three irrelevant posts deleted. Topic locked.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 23 queries.