Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: deisel engine sound simulators  (Read 10058 times)

BORIS

deisel engine sound simulators
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:30:09 pm »

Can any one recomend  a good diesel engine sound simulator, there used to be some good ones on "westbourne model centres website..you could listen to each one on the internet before you buy! but for some reason theyre no longer there :( :(

Tom Eccles

Re: deisel engine sound simulators
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:43:43 pm »

Hi Boris,
If I recall correctly the units on Westbournes site are/were JJC.
There is a thread about this somewhere on the Forum.

May I suggest you have a word with Dave at ACTion. (FLJ on this Forum) If I recall there are fundementally two types, typified by the JJC and ACTion models (Although there are a number of manufacturers in the market.

As I claim to be the forum moron on all things electrical I tend to ask Dave or Bluebird. You can be sure they will not lead you up any blind alleys.

Good luck

Clegg

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:24:10 am »

I think I must be the lucky one. I have just bought 2 JJC Turbo cat sound units .

http://www.jjc-electronics.com/

You can listen to the sounds on the above web site.

I do know that some people are having trouble obtaining these though if you can get them they are the best. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

david.harrison

Re: diesel engine sound simulators
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:59:05 pm »

Guys, I would like to recommend my company, "Model Solutions of Canada Ltd."

We manufacture premium sound modules that can store up to ten individual sounds.
One has a built in 16 channel R/C switch decoder built right in, includes a 16 channel transmitter keypad,
and has 8 auxiliary switched outputs to switch your accessories.

Our sounds use digital recordings, and are NOT simulators.

Our modules have a USB I/F and you can download your own sounds to them!!

12 Watts output power into 8 ohms at 14V, with no heatsinks!!

Our Web Site is www.modelsolutions.ca

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:04:52 pm »

Check out the prices  >>:-(

£80 odd for just the sound module, I dont think so. :o

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:18:29 pm »

Bloomin heck not at them prices talk about EXPENSIVE >>:-(

Stavros

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:25 pm »

£85 (GBP)  ... not bad for what your actually getting!
How much for just two  JJC sound only units with fixed sounds?!?!

This has 2 functions in 1 module - sound effects unit and a built in 16 channel decoder.

This 2-in-1 premium module stores multiple digital sound clips up to a total of approx. 6 minutes, and plays them back through a 12W power amplifier and loudspeaker.  Digital sound clips are stored in the module’s 4MByte  “FLASH” memory chip.  The module is initially targeted at model boats, but is very flexible and it may be used in model cars, trucks, military models, train layouts or static displays.  Includes two lamp flasher circuits that will flash lamps in sync. with two sounds for gunnery, or Morse code applications. 
The module operates from 6 - 15Volts.

It has a built in R/C 16 channel switch decoder for direct connection to an unused Radio Control receiver channel.  The 16 transmitter switch channels are used to control on/off for
eight-ten sound clips and eight-six auxiliary switched OUTPUTS (2A each) for accessory control.  A 16 button transmitter keypad is included.

It is user configurable to operate in either a "10-6" mode or a "8-8" mode.
The 10-6 mode has 10 sound clips, 2 lamp flashers and 6 switched outputs.
The 8-8 mode has 8 sounds, no lamp flashers and 8 switched outputs.

It includes a CD-ROM with a Windows SFXPC application to Download and Upload sound clips, some free sound editors, a USB cable to connect to a PC and two servo cables to connect to an R/C receiver (one for the 16 channel switch control input and one for the proportional engine sound).

david.harrison

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:55:38 pm »

Unfortunately, my first posting got truncated.
Regarding our prices, you are missing the point. You are not getting just a sound module with one or two fixed sounds.

8 - 10 sounds
Total six minutes digital recordings
A 16 channel switch decoder
A 16 button transmitter keypd.
USB interface so you can download your own sounds
12 Watts ouput - NO HEATSINK, NO FAN.
8 auxilliary switched outputs.
Windows PC program + free sound editors.

We are also working on much smaller, simpler AND CHEAPER units with one or two sounds, estimated retail at CDN$60 (30 quid).
Availability - late spring 2008.

BTW, the Robbe sound module, which is  our nearest competitor, is 135 Euros (CDN$203), so ours is way less expensive, and their unit is NOT DOWNOADABLE and has only six sounds and two switched outputs.

Regards,
David

david.harrison

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:02:51 pm »

I figure most of you gentlemen across the other side of the big pond in the U.K. are wondering - "just who is this  Canadian guy trying to barge in anyway???", so I'll tell you a bit about myself.

Well actually I'm a fellow Brit. I was borne in, and spent the first 30 years of my life in, Ipswich, Suffolk.  I used to design silicon chips at the BT Research Centre, Martlesham Heath.

I have a B.Sc. in Electronic Engineering from University College London and have been designing and building electronics for the last 47 years.  I have also been a professional software engineer for the last 25 years.

So there you go.

Hope to have many more interesting exchanges with you folks in the future.  I don't mind you emailing me at david.l.harrison@rogers.com or you can even phone if you like. Email me first, then I'll send you my phone number.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:02:13 pm »

Hi there, before we make any comments about prices I think we should have a good read and digest what we are actually acquiring on one board here...its not just a sound system; as far as I can see you have the facility of inbuilt switching units; a choice of sounds which you can download by yourself; and that is something you could not do with JJC - so in other words, if you want to change your sound you can do - you just plug it into the computer and download and away you go - and also, you have access to far more sound effects on one module.

aye
John e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

OMK

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 01:09:07 am »

To Canadian Dave:

Mate, since we're all British, means we can talk man-to-man, right?
You're sales patter is totally shot to bits. You're sounding desperate.
Why?
Your product is obviously one the best things since sliced bread. Those specifications alone should be enough to seal the deal.
I mean, eighty quid is a LOT of dough. Even more so when you don't have eighty quid. But in reality most folk wouldn't think twice about paying such an amount for, say, a digital camera, or a pair of shoes. If truth be known I reckon every Mayhem member here would be the first to stick their hand in the air given the choice of a freebee - simply because they recognise something good when they see it.
The question is, how do get over that price barrier thing? After all, you're a born-and-bred Brit - you know what how hard it is for the Brits to part with their hard-earnt.
Why not try the softly-softly approach? Maybe a few tempting photos first?
Better yet, you could always send a freebee version my way. If it's as good as you say, then I'll do it justice by posting a write-up, making it sound so good that every man and his dog will be queueing for miles to buy.
Who knows, you could even end up being the next CLive Sinclair.

Aw, I'm sorry for the cheesy reply.

Dude, in all honesty, I wish you every success with your venture. I really do. You're British, dammit -- living proof that British engineering is alive and well.

(A class-D amplifier, eh? Man, that's nice).

david.harrison

Re: Premium sound modules
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:04:35 am »

Actually. there are product photos on our web site, full specifications, dimensions etc. There are even the full product manuals on ouir datasheets and manuals page. You can get all the information you could want there.

We also distinguish ourselves from some others in the market place by providing exemplary pre and post sales support.  We don't mind questions, via email or even phone.

I tried to upload a .WAV sound clip file to whet your whistle, as it were, but this forum only accepts text and pictures.   We have an absolutely fabulous PT109 engine start and run sequence - those three 1200 H.P. V12 Packards winding up, then firing sequentially.  Email me, and I will send it to anyone who wants it.

Thanks for the offer, but I've already got three product reviews lined up.  As for sounding desperate, I am not in any way. However, this is our first foray into the U.K. market.  We already have dealers in Texas - U.S., Tokyo - Japan and New South Wales - Australia. Our product has been on the market for 18 months and is selling well globally.

Knowing, as you say, how hard it is to get us Brits to part with our money, I wanted to make sure you guys compare apples with apples. Our units are NOT equivalent to those beloved JJC units. They are WAY superior with all the extra bells and whistles, plus THEY DON'T GET HOT - NO HEATSINKS, NO FANS.

Knowing how there is a much larger market for the cheap and cheerful simple unit with one or two fixed sounds, we are addressing that exact need with our next generation SFX5 series.  We are planning some exciting specs. and features, but they're under wraps for now.  We'll keep you all informed of features, availability and prices just as soon as we can.

Cheers, gotta go, it's late now.

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:53:34 am »

This sort of thing does annoy me. When I purchased two Krabbenkutter sound units from Graupner, at well over £100 each, I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, and in my opinion they are still hard to beat (but unavailable).
Then this chappie comes along advertising a golden nugget for much less, I would have snatched his hand off if they were available when I bought mine.
Cheap and cheerful is just that, if you want quality you have to pay for it.
How long ago did you buy a new mobile phone, you know the ones, they wipe your backside for you, and full of garbage you will never use. I am sure, you didn't moan when you paid for that.

John

david.harrison

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 10:05:54 pm »

If our sound modules operated down to 8Volts minimum, how many people with 6V or 7.2V systems woul;d be upset?

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 03:32:03 pm »

Hello Dave

What have you got for a typical Fraser River tug towing a barge, etc. Start up, away it goes?

Interested to hear. Heard a great system a few years ago in Seattle using a tank engine sound but the builder went onto other things and not seen it again.

david.harrison

Model Solutions of Canada Newsletter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:19 pm »

Thought I'd let you know that we will be publishing a quarterly newsletter, starting end of this month. It will bring news and updates about existing products, new product announcements and new products in development.

If you would like to subscribe, send an email to newsletter@modelsolutions.ca with "newsletter - subscribe" as the subject line.

You can unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to newsletter@modelsolutions.ca with the subject line
"newsletter - unsubscribe".

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 09:25:07 pm »

If our sound modules operated down to 8Volts minimum, how many people with 6V or 7.2V systems woul;d be upset?

I think their would be a good number of people upset
I think 6v and 12v are the main voltages being used

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 09:32:56 pm »

A lot of people would be upset as a lot a models over here run on 6 or 7.2v. I have 3 fast patrol craft that run on 7.2v  O0

Big Ada

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:49 pm »

I would as I mostly use 6v.

Len.   :'(

John - ModelPower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rechargeable Batteries for RC Models
    • ModelPower.co.uk Rechargeable Batteries & Chargers
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:57 pm »

Hi Folks
          Try Rc Modelworkshop at the Epic Centre next weekend judge for yourself !!
John - ModelPower.co.uk
Rechargable batteries for RC Models
http://store.modelpower.co.uk

david.harrison

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 12:18:28 am »

Hi, guys, our next generation SFX5.3 sound modules are now available for ordering and shipping.

Please go to :

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_sound_systems.htm

Regards,
David

Chuffy

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 09:11:42 am »

RC Model workshops system is at least as good as JJC  and a lot more robust. A packet arrives, you plug the system into the boat electrics switch it on and away you go. I've got twin turbo cats in my 1/12 Severn and it sounds great. Why import when there is home grown gear available and..... you don't have to prat around with a computer.

david.harrison

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 01:39:39 pm »

You don't have to "prat around with a computer" with our new modules either - they come plug and play right out of the box. But you can hook them up to a computer if you are so inclined.

Don't be so prejudiced you Brits - hey, I'm a Brit too. It depends what you're looking for. If you want to lay down your money for a RCMW unit with a honking great huge fan and then add one slave unit for every sound you want then go right ahead. Our units store up to six sounds, plus the proportional engine sound. So I'd say, our modules also represent great value for money if you want more than one sound.

You guys are all to quick to compare apples with oranges. Our modules are simply uncomparable to any other sound module out there - they are simply the best in the world.

Just take a step back guys, open your eyes to other products and suppliers around the world - You'd be surprised to find that many of the best products are not Briitsh after all!
and I'm saying that as a Brit.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 01:47:39 pm »

You guys are all to quick to compare apples with oranges.

Sounds more like sour grapes to me. :angel:

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »

Hello there Modelsolutions,

I wonder if you could clear some points up?

On your sound module: SFX5.3 - is the minimum voltage 10 volts which this unit operates on?    10 volts is of a bit of an 'oddball' bottom end voltage - the majority of modellers either run 6-12 volts or 12-24 volts, so this unit will only a cater for a certain number of people.

also,

The duration of the sound is only 6 minutes?  in other words, if you start the sound unit up on your model and then run your model on the lake for longer than 6 minutes - then the sound unit will shut down after 6 minutes?  Would you therefore have to restart it again?

also

The other modeul SFX4.2 - can you only play 1 sound at a time?   therefore if I am using the engine sound unit I would not be able to use a steam whistle sound at the same time/or a fog horn? whilst the engine sound unit was - or would it switch the engine sound unit off enabling me to use the whistle/fog horn?

Does the main sound on this unit also just run for 6 minutes as well, before it has to be restarted?

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.